graz

Sargent isn't a striker

Well he isn't is he? No confidence in front of goal..but he potentially is a very good right winger. Pace, urgency and a desire to get the ball in the box. I'm seeing alot of potential in that position.

He's a good player, as long as we keep him away from the opposition goal

More useful to us in the build up play, what he can't be criticised for is a lack if effort.

He's always in the game, trying to make something happen and is a nuisance and certainly doesnt hide from the ball 

There's something there but , as you say not goals and perhaps now probably shouldnt be judged on them

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He's a good player, as long as we keep him away from the opposition goal

More useful to us in the build up play, what he can't be criticised for is a lack if effort.

He's always in the game, trying to make something happen and is a nuisance and certainly doesnt hide from the ball 

There's something there but , as you say not goals and perhaps now probably shouldnt be judged on them

That's my feeling. We're getting too hung up on his goal scoring potential. Admittedly that's what we thought we were getting but I'm starting to think his strengths lie elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

I think when he joined us Smith said that he was aware of Sargent from before, as a wide attacker as opposed to a striker.  Perhaps a subtle difference but he’s shown plenty of effort and done a decent job.  People do get rather hung up on stats, and obviously you’d want him to be a bit more composed in front of goal when chances pop up, but it’s about more than that.

• Like 2

Further to this..someone compared him to Hucks on Canary Call. Not fit to lace his boots maybe but I can see the point. Pace and power. If we develop him in this position now I can see him being a real asset.

Despite a different starting position, there's something rather Stiepi-esque about his ability to look awkward whilst running with the ball and generally leaving havoc in his wake, and he seems even better than a peak, 18-19 Stiepi in terms of getting hard pressure on opposing players and turning the ball over up the pitch.

• Like 1

Love him, never goes hiding and always gives a 100% in effort. A winning goal at Watford will make every true fan, any age cream their underpants. 

• Haha 2

He banged in the goals in US national youth levels and very much touted as a messianic international striker. That’s clearly been found out in tougher leagues, but he has known where the goal was before. 

55 minutes ago, WD40 said:

He banged in the goals in US national youth levels and very much touted as a messianic international striker. That’s clearly been found out in tougher leagues, but he has known where the goal was before. 

If you look at a lot of striker's careers, you will notice that there are very few that score over 10 goals per season until they're around 25 years old. This is when they peak. Players need to have that experience before things start to click. 

So filling the squad with the likes of Sargent, Idah and Tzolis is great in the long term but doesn't help us too much for the here and now. 

What we need to do is to create the right environment for them to build their confidence and develop... supporting them, instead of destroying their confidence.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

If you look at a lot of striker's careers, you will notice that there are very few that score over 10 goals per season until they're around 25 years old. This is when they peak. Players need to have that experience before things start to click. 

So filling the squad with the likes of Sargent, Idah and Tzolis is great in the long term but doesn't help us too much for the here and now. 

What we need to do is to create the right environment for them to build their confidence and develop... supporting them, instead of destroying their confidence.

Lots of truth in this post. When Mike Sutton was coaching me, he put a huge emphasis on composure. Being calm in front of goal. At the time, collectively, we used to joke about it but he was spot on. Finishing is a learned behaviour, not just in football. You see snooker players get tight on frame ball or a dartist snatch at double 12 on the 9. There are some that are exceptionally adept early like a Michael Owen or, from a Norwich perspective, Craig Bellamy. Others take longer. Harry Kane being an example when he was with us. 
I’m not giving up on Sarge just yet. Perhaps the finishing will come, perhaps he’ll manifest into a support striker. The hope is that he is a player that one way or another is a valuable asset, he certainly was against Everton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Great to read positive comments about The Sarge 😀👍

At the very least, he's an honest pro who will work his socks off for the team. I think he's got more to give and I think we'll see it as and when he gains some confidence. 

It's been slightly heartbreaking watching him struggle recently and it was great to see him get congratulated for his role in Keane's OG - plus the standing ovation. Hopefully that'll give him a boost to help him kick on from here.

10 hours ago, graz said:

Well he isn't is he? No confidence in front of goal..but he potentially is a very good right winger. Pace, urgency and a desire to get the ball in the box. I'm seeing alot of potential in that position.

I agree with the basic sentiment of what you are saying + agree that he plays mainly as a wide player but think that we are in danger of falling into the trap of attaching very limited labels on the purpose of our players.

e.g. A strikers role is to put it into "the back of the net."

e.g. A winger's role is to beat the full back and get crosses into the box etc

The truth is that we should probably ignore set definitions of a players role and look at what they bring to the team as a whole. I'd like Sargent to score more goals, but don't think he is ever likely to be prolific, but I think that he still brings lots to the team and that we miss him when he is unavailable.

• Like 1

As he cannot score, he may end up being in different role. However, he was bought to score goals which he currently cannot do. 

As we paid a lot of money for him - by our standards, Smith has to try and find a way of making being useful on the pitch. 

We all remember Alex Notman, who stats were absolutely appalling. He scored one goal in 71 appearances in all competitions, yet always looked lively until his career ending block tackle against Ipswich. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree with the basic sentiment of what you are saying + agree that he plays mainly as a wide player but think that we are in danger of falling into the trap of attaching very limited labels on the purpose of our players.

e.g. A strikers role is to put it into "the back of the net."

e.g. A winger's role is to beat the full back and get crosses into the box etc

The truth is that we should probably ignore set definitions of a players role and look at what they bring to the team as a whole. I'd like Sargent to score more goals, but don't think he is ever likely to be prolific, but I think that he still brings lots to the team and that we miss him when he is unavailable.

I think every time I've seen him play upfront he also struggles to do the kind of stuff you'd think he should be able to, not just put the ball in the net. With his physique and general hard working nature I thought he'd be an option to play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and bring others into the game but when he's been upfront either on his own or with Pukki I've not really seen that. Idah however does show those abilities. 

He is one of the attacking three so he does need to chip in with goals. That said I think that will be the last piece of the jigsaw, he's doing pretty much everything else asked of him.

We were all starting to doubt Idah after him being around the first team for quite a while, but look at him in the last two games.

Sargent is similar imo - but unlike Idah (up to before the last two games) he has been putting in some good performances all season so has often been first choice to go into the team. A year older than Idah, but still only 21, he has the all round physique and desire to be an effective player - and he has been in terms of his all round play - but in goal scoring, he just needs one to kick start that side of his game - and he has had a couple of decent strikes blocked, so it is just a case of time before he does get one. 

It's a mouthwatering prospect to think that Idah and he might just be starting to produce the goods and if he can get that first goal and get his confidence going in front of goal, we have two right good players there. 

A team with Idah, Pukki, Sargent and Rashica all pulling their weight and in full flow is quite a prospect to look forward to. You can add Placheta to that too - he has looked better recently and with Tzolis also a good prospect, we do have some hope there. I should add Dowell in there too, I hope he can step up too, as he has shown promise at times.

Amazing what a bit of inspiration can do when you see players suddenly coming to life - Idah and Sargent both make this season a bit more exciting to look forwards to as we see how much we can improve.