I’ve been advocating seeing Sorensen to be given a run at DM and he looks like he is beginning to come good. What I’ve also been advocating (ever since I first saw him play for Norwich) is that Kenny is not good enough for Norwich. Coincidence or not, Sorensen plays, Kenny doesn’t and Norwich look like a PL team.

Most of us agree if we can sort the DM position out this will stiffen the defence, allow the full backs to bomb forward thus making us more dangerous going forward.

This along with a tweaking of formation that suits Idah allowed Idah to look like the PL player we all hoped he would be.

Well done boys, that performance was excellent. 

• Like 1

I agree, think it was more the change in personnel up top, which made us far more physical, rather than just Sorensen display (though i do like him in the team)

KM has a big part to play for us still though

• Thanks 1

Time will tell whether Sorenson is good enough at this level, but there's nothing wrong with having a player whose natural instincts are staying back rather than getting forward.

He's the only senior player on the books in midfield with this characteristic, so should regularly start with one other CM. There were signs yesterday he was acclimatising to the pace of the league, which was encouraging. 

I agree that Sorensen is due a run but it’s a bit of a stretch to blame McLean for our woes, which many are doing, and our m/f looked pretty weak to me yesterday.  There’s times that supporters don’t see what a player adds and Kenny falls into that category.  I always hark back to Mike Phelan, who was very much unsung by us but Ken Brown waxed lyrical about how he did all the stuff supporters don’t notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased to see this thread. Have similarly been advocating Sorensen’s inclusion, but thought after Villa I might have made a terrible misjudgement. However, while others were more prominent yesterday,  I thought Jacob was unobtrusively very good. He might not be the most athletic, but he reads the game very well, his positioning is strong, and doesn’t panic in possession. He seemed to have time, when we might imagine another player might panic. Most of all, he’s got a brilliant way of getting a foot in at just the right moment; several times he nicked possession in a very tight spot. He’s not perfect, but he can definitely do the job of DCM for us, and would like to see him continue as one of the double-pivot, even - and perhaps especially - when Normann returns. I can imagine that as a pairing that gives a defensive platform, while also giving Normann the chance to push on a bit. Promising signs.

Separately, went to the game like many with a sense of creeping despair. Came home not feeling quite so bad. At this point, I’ll take it. 

• Like 4

What chance did he have under Farke when donkey McLean was apparently 'undroppable'.

Waited patiently and a good new manager will bring the best out of him and others.

• Like 1

While I think the main difference was that Everton had 4 on-it attacking players to deal with, you can't ignore that we weren't absent in midfield.

Kennys issue has always been his predilection for charging out into a press and leaving gaps. Seemingly with a slightly more reserved presence alongside, PLM also looked much better and the machine ticked over nicely for once

• Like 2

Sorensen falls into the unsung hero category. He does what he need to do competently without flamboyance which is why he's often been overlooked. Rarely puts a foot wrong.

Yesterday the whole team did their jobs - but the more physical attack gave us out balls and the ability to bully their defense.

It's what we've lacked in the PL for years.

• Like 1

Worth bearing in mind that Everton had a midfield 2 of Doucoure and Gomes-Doucoure is a really good player but he has off days and this was one of them. Gomes was also very poor. Watford will probably play 3 in midfield and if Sissoko and Kucka play they will overrun Sorensen and PLM.

Has anybody thought about playing McLean higher up the pitch? I'm not his biggest fan but I bet he could do a decent job further away from our goal. Funny though he's out and we win

43 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Has anybody thought about playing McLean higher up the pitch? I'm not his biggest fan but I bet he could do a decent job further away from our goal. Funny though he's out and we win

No no no……we now have the formation, let’s not bring back McLean at the expense of Idah or Sargent, the four up top look good, with Tzolis, Cantwell and Placheta to cover.

Sorensen & Lees deserve to be given that position till they prove otherwise, it’s about upping performances and to get back into the team you need to oust that player!

Didn't see yesterday's game and have no idea if JLS is good enough for the PL, but every time I've seen him he just seems such an intelligent footballer. The job he did filling in at LB last season was so impressive. Must be a coach's dream: just does the job he's supposed to do.