GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

No McLean = win ...coincidence??

It's not a total coincidence, no. He's a bad footballer at this level, and whilst PLM and Sorenson aren't Kante and De Bruyne, they are both significantly better than McLean in what is a key area of the pitch. I hope we never see him start again, but fear he will be brought back in at the earliest opportunity.

I didn't want to be the one to focus on a negative this evening but it crossed my mind. We're a better team without him.

• Like 1

McLean was fine last year because he had Skipp to mop up behind him. He struggles when he has no DM alongside him, but that's been a common theme all season. Stick Sorensen in there and the outlook is a little different

Possibly a little harsh on Kenny, we were playing a bit of a different system today. But he's not really looked like forming a midfield partnership like we saw from Sorensen and PLM today. Hopefully we'll keep this setup. 

McLean played well enough on Wed night.

I don’t know why everyone seems to think performances (good or bad) hinge on single players, they don’t.

We are a better team now because we have a lot of injured/sick players back - having Rashica and Idah is important because they help keep possession when the ball goes forward. Having Hanley and Gibson back matters as they make the defence a huge amount more solid. Yet you can remove/change one of these players and manage fine, you just can’t remove or change them all and think it’ll still work.

Sorensen and PLM played really well but it’s not because they are better than McLean, it’s because the team around them is playing better and so their game improves through better options, movement and confidence.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

We won't see him again this season. 

I agree. Went home upset at the reception he is getting and worried he will tarnish his reputation is my guess. To be fair he’s young and might have needed a breather 

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Sorensen and PLM played really well but it’s not because they are better than McLean, it’s because the team around them is playing better and so their game improves through better options, movement and confidence.

They are better than McLean though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

We won't see him again this season. 

This will be a real problem for MOTD. They have no point of reference for us now. Maybe they will just show their obligatory shot of Delia and Roz for 5-10 minutes and make some cooking puns.

2 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Rondon starting instead of Richarlison helped us massively. 

Yep, Richarlison changed the game, helluva player.

2 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Rondon starting instead of Richarlison helped us massively. 

Not many of the Everton side covered themsleves in glory but Rondon was bad.

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I agree. Went home upset at the reception he is getting and worried he will tarnish his reputation is my guess. To be fair he’s young and might have needed a breather 

You mean gilmour who watched the game on his Norwich clobber on in the stand with some under 23 players. 

That gilmour we won't see again and who is in a huff.

Epic moronic stuff. 

• Like 3

Lees melou was tolerable and sorenson anonymous. 

We were lucky Everton were bad, and we lined up to bypass the midfield two. 

The cruelty against McLean on this forum is so effing pig ignorant, blind, and ignoring of his record, that it just makes you look utterly stupid. 

3 minutes ago, fredherring said:

You mean gilmour who watched the game with his Norwich clobber on in the stand with some under 23 players. 

That gilmour we won't see again and who is in a huff.

Epic moronic stuff. 

• Like 1

We were saying in the pub after how well Sorensen and Lees Melou played. The latter especially covered for Gianoullis when he made a weak challenge shortly after coming on.

2 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Pand sorenson anonymous. 

Those 3 words alone show you have no understanding of the CDM role he was playing. Given any more thought to that head wobbling yet? It'll do you the world of good 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Lees melou was tolerable and sorenson anonymous. 

We were lucky Everton were bad, and we lined up to bypass the midfield two. 

The cruelty against McLean on this forum is so effing pig ignorant, blind, and ignoring of his record, that it just makes you look utterly stupid. 

Are you Scottish? Or drunk?

You sound both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorensen didnt do anything McLean hasn't done for us - he is a player people are desperate to be better than he is. PLM was much, much better than Sorensen.

But of course, our midfield hasn't been good enough all season and if we are going to go with two in there moving forwards PLM and Normann might be the best shout. 

Sorensen should get a chance to have a run in the team but I'm sure we will find hes very much on or just below McLean in level - its why Farke and Smith both play him.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

Sorensen didnt do anything McLean hasn't done for us - he is a player people are desperate to be better than he is. PLM was much, much better than Sorensen.

But of course, our midfield hasn't been good enough all season and if we are going to go with two in there moving forwards PLM and Normann might be the best shout. 

Sorensen should get a chance to have a run in the team but I'm sure we will find hes very much on or just below McLean in level - its why Farke and Smith both play him.

Not being provocative but were you at the game? Sorenson today was way better than McLean has been all season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I really rate Sorensen. He is a clever footballer hence his ability in numerous positions. 

McLean and Gilmour together are just too lightweight. 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Not being provocative but were you at the game? Sorenson today was way better than McLean has been all season.

Totally agree with this, not that they really play the same role anyway, the McLean comparison should be with PLM who was miles better than McLean ever has been for us at this level and with less windmill impersonations. 

Bit of talk today that McLean is in talks with Rangers, but maybe people seeing his ommision and making 2+2=5.

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Totally agree with this, not that they really play the same role anyway, the McLean comparison should be with PLM who was miles better than McLean ever has been for us at this level and with less windmill impersonations. 

Bit of talk today that McLean is in talks with Rangers, but maybe people seeing his ommision and making 2+2=5.

I really hope so.

There's always some muppet on here who has to unfairly single someone out for criticism, even after a rare win!

Kenny always gives a consistent performance, and is a very good option to have off the bench; it's not his fault we have been over-reliant on him this season. He's been an important squad member for us over one of our most successful recent periods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sörensen's primary job is to be a screen in front of defence, pick up loose balls, and get a tackle in where he can. Comparing him to an ostensible box-to-box man in McLean is a bit odd. What really matters is how the players in that midfield area interact with each other and how effective the teamwork is, and it seemed better balanced with Sörensen and Lees-Melou compared to McLean and Lees-Melou.

Get Normann back, and that may be a further improvement.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yeah I was and I disagree. I think because we won its being overhyped.

I suppose to try and be fair look at our last home win vs Southampton - Kenny won more in the air than Sorensen did today, Kennys passing success was considerably higher,  Kenny created more...in fact the only thing Sorensen done better was tackle more times. 

Sorensen is one of those players who people have bigged up so much from not playing I think they see things that don't exist. He was good today, decent, but no better really than what McLean has offered this season. 

Like I say, its why he's never been able to displace him at this level or the level below under two managers and coaches who watch him day in day out.

He should get a chance from today but as i said, I dont expect it to last long