1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Right, I'm going to be that guy. He literally just runs in a straight line.. takes a bad first touch, and just recovers to get a toe prod on it to beat the keeper! They all count... and hopefully the first of many!! Tin hat ready...

Watching the goal several times now - the first touch was perfection, takes it away from the defender and sets the finish up beautifully.

I'm unsure if your post was satirical now. 

He was one of the main differences today, although Rashica was also superb.

When we play just Pukki up top we win nothing and the ball is always coming back at us, Idah was physical, held the ball up numerous times and deserved his goal.

I've always been a fan of Idah but often more in hope than expectation. He was treated scandalously by Herr Farke who stubbornly refused to partner him with Pukki and just gave the lad a few minutes here and there. That said, his performance in that League Cup v Liverpool was horrendous and it looked as if he was finished. Today, however, was one of the best centre forward performances I've seen for a long time. His confidence now should have soared and it's 'just' possible that he could be the spark to inspire a run of results to keep us up. Watford is now simply a 'must' win for us. A point is no good. Beat them and we're right back in it.     

I hope people can appreciate Teemu's part in Adam's improvement in the last two games.

Prior to West Ham whenever the two of them played together Teemu was the focal point and Adam played off him and supported him.

In the last two matches Adam has been the focal point and Teemu has taken a slightly deeper role and supported him.

The benefit of this was shown today in not only Adam's improvement but also the extra support that Teemu could give the midfield.

A slight change in set up but a major one in benefit to the attack and midfield from Smith and Shakespeare. Long may it continue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd say the presence of Sargent on a wing will probably help the process.

Agree completely! I really dislike the chants of "if Sargent scores we're on the pitch" - it can't do his confidence any good and he works so bl00dy hard! We miss him when he's not playing - I'd love to see him get his reward for all the work he does for the team!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I hope people can appreciate Teemu's part in Adam's improvement in the last two games.

Prior to West Ham whenever the two of them played together Teemu was the focal point and Adam played off him and supported him.

In the last two matches Adam has been the focal point and Teemu has taken a slightly deeper role and supported him.

The benefit of this was shown today in not only Adam's improvement but also the extra support that Teemu could give the midfield.

A slight change in set up but a major one in benefit to the attack and midfield from Smith and Shakespeare. Long may it continue.

Yep, and I can definitely see Teemu playing more as a false nine, or indeed a sort of number ten with Idah up top on a more regular basis as it makes good use of his defensive workrate. In fact, Teemu in that deeper role and Sargent on the right is a pretty good opening line of defence.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree completely! I really dislike the chants of "if Sargent scores we're on the pitch" - it can't do his confidence any good and he works so bl00dy hard! We miss him when he's not playing - I'd love to see him get his reward for all the work he does for the team!

He's definitely got Buendia's defensive work rate if not better - obviously nowhere near our favourite Argentinean for skill or passing ability, but in terms of being able to make a grade-A nuisance of himself, he's excellent. 

3 hours ago, mastoola said:

Im the first to admit i was one of his biggest critics

Don't worry you weren't alone, I had written him off.

Smith has to take credit here surely, for having faith in him to deliver and simply giving him the minutes he needed to start making an impact?

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's definitely got Buendia's defensive work rate if not better - obviously nowhere near our favourite Argentinean for skill or passing ability, but in terms of being able to make a grade-A nuisance of himself, he's excellent. 

How dare you suggest Sargentinho doesn't have the same touch or skill as Emi?

What's wrong with you, buh?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kirku said:

How dare you suggest Sargentinho doesn't have the same touch or skill as Emi?

What's wrong with you, buh?

That's Sarginho to you, buh! 😉

• Haha 1

Idah was superb today and deserves all the praise he is getting.

It's like he just realized the day before West Ham that he's 6ft 4 and built like an ox. The physicality and strength he showed at holding the up the ball and winning headers was invaluable today in a style of football much more direct than Farke's. That said, he's feet and ability to run at a man was also very impressive.

Looking forward to him getting a run in the team!

Edited by HertsCanary93

2 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

It's like he just realized the day before West Ham that he's 6ft 4 and built like an ox. The physicality and strength he showed at holding the up the ball and winning headers was invaluable in a style of football much more direct than Farke's. That said, he's feet and ability to run at a man was also very impressive.

For me it was also his passing     some great lay offs today   also his willingness to have a shot from outside the box which keeps the opponents guessing

Edited by mastoola
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Right, I'm going to be that guy. He literally just runs in a straight line.. takes a bad first touch, and just recovers to get a toe prod on it to beat the keeper! They all count... and hopefully the first of many!! Tin hat ready...

2 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

It's like he just realized the day before West Ham that he's 6ft 4 and built like an ox. The physicality and strength he showed at holding the up the ball and winning headers was invaluable in a style of football much more direct than Farke's. That said, he's feet and ability to run at a man was also very impressive.

The Irish Ibrahimović 😉

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Idahimovic 😍

Idahimovic and Sarginho up top. We can't go wrong, right? 😉

To be honest, Idah might be praised, but thought Hanley was immense too, (from me!!!) Pukki, Rashica, Idah & Sargent complement each other in the game, when they get fed the ball. With a possessed Lees today and Sorensen playing a sublime midfield holding role it all linked up, even when under pressure we didn’t just keep belting the ball back we controlled where we placed the ball and our front line held it up well.

Idah benefited from everyone playing with a proper positions a game plan and executed really well, credit ti Smith today, done his homework, played the team and got the result, credit where credits due!

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't worry you weren't alone, I had written him off.

Smith has to take credit here surely, for having faith in him to deliver and simply giving him the minutes he needed to start making an impact?

I think that's fair. Especially today we went with 4 attacking players - and for it to work Idah was going to have to put in a real shift (that prior to West Ham we hadn't really seen).

Very significant improvement last two games. Well done to him. Clearly better central and he looks a bit leaner and faster. Still needs to be more clinical though (that back pass straight to him really should have resulted in a goal and game over) but gives us a physical presence we have needed. 

He looks to have great pace and did some lovely turns at various points in the game, showing a touch and feet that I didnt think he had. Amazing to think it's the same player who looked so terrible against Liverpool in the cup at the start of the season.

Slight caveat that Keane and Godfrey are about as bad a centre back pairing as you'll find at this level, so tougher tests will come, but today showed why the club rate him so highly. Be great to have another top player from the academy in the first team. 

1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

To Ebeneezer Goode.

Idahs good idahs good..

Adam idahs good.

I've had a mate sing that drunkenly to me most of the night. It's annoyingly catchy

6 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I've had a mate sing that drunkenly to me most of the night. It's annoyingly catchy

Adam Idahs good if you know what i mean. bursting onto the scene...........

17 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

It’s good. Will get that going at Watford hopefully 

I did have big doubts about Idah considering the amount of time he’s been a member of the first team compared to the lack of game time he’d had and his performances when he had played. If he can keep his current form going for the remainder of the season I do believe he might turn out to be an ideal replacement for Pukki, who’s edging towards the end of his career. On the assumption that we still get relegated, if he manages to score a few more goals this season I also think he’ll be quite a threat in the Championship next season

Will just get better and better under the coaching of SAS

Well done you are looking the part now

5 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

He seems to have improved hugely over night.

Seems to have had some excellent coaching lately. 

The Two Gentlemen from Great Barr have been working on him behind the scenes.