Sign in to follow this  
CanaryLegend

Trying to be too clever

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

It's been confirmed in 2 cases that we signed players based on stats. We couldn't get to see them in person due to the restrictions

I assume we watched some videos too though? 

4 hours ago, CanaryLegend said:

Seems like our scouting based on stats has been the making of our undoing. Probably so obsessed with the likes of Buendia being a success we have lost sight of traditional scouting methods.

Signings like Placheta who is amazingly quick but has no end product and Josh Sargeant who covers lots of ground yet delivers very little else.

I am not sure what the thinking was behind these signings and where the assessment about ability to score goals would from. In Hugill, Idah, and Sargeant we have three strikers with very underwhelming goal statistics.

The soccerbot as well? I mean come on, players will not improve this way. It’s a waste of money.

Accept we are going down as without any signings let’s face it that’s the reality, blood players like Rowe and get us prepared for the Championship with squad hungry to take us forward.

I wouldn’t include Ida in that list. He looks to be coming along nicely. Just needs more game time.

But as for the overall results from recruiting, it’s been abysmal. And on top of that, another season of throwing away good money.

4 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

No, it's an assumption based on people wanting to bash the club again. We had an interview on this very site with the data analyst lead and it conclusively outlines that the data is used to find WHO to scout not replace scouting

Wanting to bash the club again . 😫 I don't think so. People are genuinely concerned where we are going at the moment. We were told that this was a squad put together to stay in this league after the lessons learned from the last attempt. Getting back to Stats. HOW did that not show up that we needed at least 1 CDM? Or did we loose the Internet connection for a couple of hours? This is the basics we needed to compete at this level. Have we ex pro footballers doing the scouting or is our head scout another Data Analyst.  So SW and DF agreed between them that we were capable of competing at this level without a DM. Really!!!! ALSO all the Data on the Web was telling that Normann was already carrying a bad injury. But we signed him . Good player but come on. Let's hope it doesn't re occur again. But he's no use to us when missing so many games. This is not all in hindsight this was from the wonderful data analytics at our fingertips. After knowing the loss of skipp and emi would be kind of difficult . No basic knowledge of football strategy has been put in place by people who apparently are running the human football side of the game. Where is the CDM. Basics

Criminal incompetence.  Let's hope the SAS can turn it around. But come on don't say people are bashing the club

THERE is genuine concern for the here and now from genuine real football supporters who have watched and paid for season tickets for many years . They are the customers .they are the ones who have every right to ask WTF has been going on. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Wanting to bash the club again . 😫 I don't think so. People are genuinely concerned where we are going at the moment. We were told that this was a squad put together to stay in this league after the lessons learned from the last attempt. Getting back to Stats. HOW did that not show up that we needed at least 1 CDM? Or did we loose the Internet connection for a couple of hours? This is the basics we needed to compete at this level. Have we ex pro footballers doing the scouting or is our head scout another Data Analyst.  So SW and DF agreed between them that we were capable of competing at this level without a DM. Really!!!! ALSO all the Data on the Web was telling that Normann was already carrying a bad injury. But we signed him . Good player but come on. Let's hope it doesn't re occur again. But he's no use to us when missing so many games. This is not all in hindsight this was from the wonderful data analytics at our fingertips. After knowing the loss of skipp and emi would be kind of difficult . No basic knowledge of football strategy has been put in place by people who apparently are running the human football side of the game. Where is the CDM. Basics

Criminal incompetence.  Let's hope the SAS can turn it around. But come on don't say people are bashing the club

THERE is genuine concern for the here and now from genuine real football supporters who have watched and paid for season tickets for many years . They are the customers .they are the ones who have every right to ask WTF has been going on. 

Ok have a sit down, you’ll burst a blood vessel. I’m pointing out those accusing the club of ‘purely’ signing players on data, do so not because it is true or they have any evidence but because they want to paint this club as completely irrational and working in a bizarre manner.

Every signing made carried a risk to it, Normann included. We didn’t have the finances to buy risk free. This idea that you saw we needed a Defensive midfielder but the transfer committee didn’t portrays a wild arrogance. Transfers don’t just happen, like moving house, often other sales have to complete before opportunities arise. I don’t for one second think we didn’t try desperately to get a player in but a mixture of budget, player demands etc frustrated us. Normann clearly wasn’t the first choice. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think the statistical data mining point the team to WHO they should scout rather than replacing the scouting side of the process.

That's all well and good but it doesn't fit the absolutely baseless accusation that "all we do is spreedsheets this days"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Ok have a sit down, you’ll burst a blood vessel. I’m pointing out those accusing the club of ‘purely’ signing players on data, do so not because it is true or they have any evidence but because they want to paint this club as completely irrational and working in a bizarre manner.

Every signing made carried a risk to it, Normann included. We didn’t have the finances to buy risk free. This idea that you saw we needed a Defensive midfielder but the transfer committee didn’t portrays a wild arrogance. Transfers don’t just happen, like moving house, often other sales have to complete before opportunities arise. I don’t for one second think we didn’t try desperately to get a player in but a mixture of budget, player demands etc frustrated us. Normann clearly wasn’t the first choice. 

Deary Deary me you are so flippant . Your pointing out that you are some kind of superior human.  I saw the need for a DM .what I think you would do well to see hundreds of posts about this subject .  Wild arrogance ( for sure not me . But for sure you)

You also have cherrypicked my post to suit your own agenda.

I ask again. Is our head scout a data analyst  yes or no

DO we have any real ex footballer input into our recruitment  department 

Who is responsible for the recruitment 

Do you honestly think they got it correct.

And try not to be so patronising. You might think your smart. But for sure your not. 

28 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Deary Deary me you are so flippant . Your pointing out that you are some kind of superior human.  I saw the need for a DM .what I think you would do well to see hundreds of posts about this subject .  Wild arrogance ( for sure not me . But for sure you)

You also have cherrypicked my post to suit your own agenda.

I ask again. Is our head scout a data analyst  yes or no

DO we have any real ex footballer input into our recruitment  department 

Who is responsible for the recruitment 

Do you honestly think they got it correct.

And try not to be so patronising. You might think your smart. But for sure your not. 

We know who was head of scouting, he has since left. Do you not know this?

why do we have to have an ex footballer input into recruitment?

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

The reality is for the money spent all the soccorbot has to do is make any young potential signings think "Ah, that's cool" - and it'll probably pay for itself.

Can't remember the last time Webber signed a 'young' player that was any good, so excuse me if I struggle to get excited by that, Bushiri, Soto, Power, Abraham, none of them are amounting to much.

Mumba got some potential I suppose. 

But yeah, probably is a decent gimmick for when Webber had gone and we have a competent recruitment team identifying and bringing in players like Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Maddison again from other clubs rather than blowing money on substandard Americans.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

53 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

We know who was head of scouting, he has since left. Do you not know this?

why do we have to have an ex footballer input into recruitment?

Why do we have to have. ? We don't but I would rather trust an ex players view when all the geek stuff has been done . Just my opinion. I'm from the old school of football . The data stuff is brilliant and can save a lot of time wasting . But for me there's nothing like a player helping the coach with the final decision. I'm sure Delia wouldn't hire a bricklayer to cook in the restaurants even if he was good at making an omelette .

Horses for courses as we used to say

I'm sure a few premier clubs go with ex players and of course the geek stuff as well.

Remember it's just my opinion OK. It just appears we have made a bit of an ars* of this recruitment.  If you think it's a good one then that's your view. Remember  this was apparently  for the here and now.

Never mind it may come good I hope so and next season we can hire a real robot to do the recruiting even run along the touchline. 

The human is still alive just. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't remember the last time Webber signed a 'young' player that was any good, so excuse me if I struggle to get excited by that, Bushiri, Soto, Power, Abraham, none of them are amounting to much.

Mumba got some potential I suppose. 

But yeah, probably is a decent gimmick for when Webber had gone and we have a competent recruitment team identifying and bringing in players like Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Maddison again from other clubs rather than blowing money on substandard Americans.

Its one of those things that may show to young players we are looking at the latest tech etc - I'm sure it's something that would never be the decider but would be an influencer when families are looking at where their kid is going to develop.

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

.Never mind it may come good I hope so and next season we can hire a real robot to do the recruiting even run along the touchline. 

The human is still alive just. 

I can only assume you’ve watched Terminator 2 recently. I can’t fathom what has made you so scared of using AI and data when a vast majority of clubs are adopting this approach across the continent.

29 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I can only assume you’ve watched Terminator 2 recently. I can’t fathom what has made you so scared of using AI and data when a vast majority of clubs are adopting this approach across the continent.

😅 The data stuff is brilliant and can save a lot of time wasting . But for me there's nothing like a player helping the coach with the final decision. I'm sure Delia wouldn't hire a bricklayer to cook in the restaurants even if he was good at making an omelette .

Scared I don't think so. I've just said it's brilliant

Are you a Robot 🤖  by any chance. If you are I apologise  that I may have offended you . That's if the human has programmed you with feelings. I hope they have or you would be very boring indeed.🙃

Right I'm off to make an omelette now. Cheerio !

Edited by Mengo

26 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Its   a  'position'.....new=bad, better in t'old days. Data is useful, try telling Amazon its not. Ignore the luddite.

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Its   a  'position'.....new=bad, better in t'old days. Data is useful, try telling Amazon its not. Ignore the luddite.

Not another geek incoming

Luddite  . Jesus I had to look that one up

Google intelligent  you see.

Edited by Mengo

12 minutes ago, Mengo said:

You don’t need google when an ex-player can read the definition out of a dictionary. No need for this robot stuff.

13 minutes ago, Mengo said:

So, you're fooked if t'internet  drops. I hope you can light a fire  and fend for yourself.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

So, you're fooked if t'internet  drops. I hope you can light a fire  and fend for yourself.

Oh I can light a fire 🔥  no problem. I've just made a omelette .

I'm just worried if the Internet goes down in the recruitment department 

What can we do then help. 😕 🥵

7 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

You don’t need google when an ex-player can read the definition out of a dictionary. No need for this robot stuff.

Very good you can read 📚 that's good chuffed for you.

3 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Oh I can light a fire 🔥  no problem. I've just made a omelette .

I'm just worried if the Internet goes down in the recruitment department 

What can we do then help. 😕🥵

Aaah, ok.    We understand.

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Aaah, ok.    We understand.

OK I'm watching the Brighton v palace

ALEXA  get me another beer 🍺 cheers

👋 

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You have a maid called Alexa?  Or has alexa ordered you some beer to be delivered some time later.?

Look I've just missed the palace goal. This fu**ing phone 📱 ping ping. And it's you again. Now kindly 🙏 🙂 liase with TVB or someone. I'm busy Alexa is giving me a massage just now . Good night😜

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

Look I've just missed the palace goal. This fu**ing phone 📱 ping ping. And it's you again. Now kindly 🙏🙂 liase with TVB or someone. I'm busy Alexa is giving me a massage just now . Good night😜

Its good when a man recognises  his  limitations. Two things at once. 👍😇😉

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Its good when a man recognises  his  limitations. Two things at once. 👍😇😉

🙈🙉🙊

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Watch the match  Brighton have equalised.

Sh*t that's my fantasy football ️ fund.

I have a palace defender in it

Brighton never give up . OG.

Edited by Mengo

12 hours ago, CanaryLegend said:

Seems like our scouting based on stats has been the making of our undoing. Probably so obsessed with the likes of Buendia being a success we have lost sight of traditional scouting methods.

Signings like Placheta who is amazingly quick but has no end product and Josh Sargeant who covers lots of ground yet delivers very little else.

I am not sure what the thinking was behind these signings and where the assessment about ability to score goals would from. In Hugill, Idah, and Sargeant we have three strikers with very underwhelming goal statistics.

The soccerbot as well? I mean come on, players will not improve this way. It’s a waste of money.

Accept we are going down as without any signings let’s face it that’s the reality, blood players like Rowe and get us prepared for the Championship with squad hungry to take us forward.

bad use of stats maybe but why blame stats? It was known from the stats that both Sargent and Placheta both had limited technical ability but we still chose to pursue those deals.

Perhaps we thought/think we could coach that bit of technical ability they need to unearth a real diamond? Admittedly both look like shoddy recruitment so far but that's what happens when you're shopping in bargain basement trying to sow a silk purse with a sows ear.

It's easy to blame stats just like it's easy to blame VAR but it's the human element using the technology/data that has to come under the most scrutiny surely?

Imagine being so narrow minded and short sighted you expect results from soccer bot 3 months after it was installed lol 

• Like 1

Brighton model is the model we should be following. They manage to find young cheap talent from the continent, and further abroad as well as hoovering up the best EFL talent.

They also have a feeder club in Belgium which they've managed to farm a lot of this talent out to to develop - that feeder club is top of the Belgian Prem at the first time of asking following promotion - and Brighton themselves are on course for their best ever PL finish. They aren't owned by some oligarch or any nation state. Just a self made man in Tony Bloom