Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Normann, Rupp and Gilmour our only hope

If we are to have any chance of even ending the season with some hope and winning another game (now given up on survival) then we need to stop having such a pathetic midfield. I actually think we have the attacking players and defence to be an ok premier league team but the midfield has been woeful.

I think a trio of Normann, Gilmour and Rupp is our only real option ....and I never thought I'd be pushing for Rupp as a starter. This means we get rid of the invisible man McLean and I would push Gilmour up and tell him he has one main job - to either make a slide pass to pukki on goal or play the ball behind the full backs for Rashica/Placheta/Tzolis to chase.

Sorrenson can come on for Gilmour in last 15 minutes to protect our slender 1-0 advantage (sadly I dont think Sorrenson has the pace, power or strength for the CDM role).

Brilliant plan. Why haven't Smith or farke considered playing our best three midfielders together? 

Obviously they would all have to be fit. 

Jesus wept. 

If we have given up on survival, which we can if we lose to Watford, then there is no point in playing loan players. 

What's the point developing other clubs players? Gilmour and Normann shouldn't be playing in my view.

2 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Brilliant plan. Why haven't Smith or farke considered playing our best three midfielders together? 

Obviously they would all have to be fit. 

Jesus wept. 

Appreciate injuries are the current reason.....but cant remember a game when Mclean hasnt started?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we have given up on survival, which we can if we lose to Watford, then there is no point in playing loan players. 

What's the point developing other clubs players? Gilmour and Normann shouldn't be playing in my view.

A good point and I tend to agree but unless we sign a CDM in the transfer I dont think we have a choice.

I know we will have to start again with two new players next year but we may save a bit of face this year compared to the current embarrasment.

Rupp is now one of our star players rather than a goal shy headless chicken then?

He has never been more than very average like McLean and I hope both will be gone in the summer.

Actually Gilmour has been the biggest problem in our midfield. We completely reshaped our system to accommodate him and it ruined us. He's contributed to zero goals in attack and about 10 in defence (or lack thereof). 

What we needed (and need) is a pair of genuine central defensive midfielders. Perhaps Rupp and Normann might be a better pairing than we've seen so far, but I suspect that's a case of absence making players seem better. 

• Like 1

Personally I'd be inclined to put Rupp, Normann, and Sörensen together for a few games and see where that takes us. Should be a fair bit of defensive nous in there at least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Rupp is now one of our star players rather than a goal shy headless chicken then?

Lees-Melou is making him look good. 

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

A good point and I tend to agree but unless we sign a CDM in the transfer I dont think we have a choice.

I know we will have to start again with two new players next year but we may save a bit of face this year compared to the current embarrasment.

Fair.

Don't disagree with your midfield 3 to be honest with what we have. I quite like Rupp.

I'm intrigued now to see how we develop the Pukki / Idah partnership though and how that works with a midfield 3 and 2 wingers. Really think we need to seize the moment with Adam, arguably his best performance in a city shirt.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Personally I'd be inclined to put Rupp, Normann, and Sörensen together for a few games and see where that takes us. Should be a fair bit of defensive nous in there at least.

Sorenson got a chance to impress against Charlton and looked poor.

19 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Appreciate injuries are the current reason.....but cant remember a game when Mclean hasnt started?

Not just current reason, it’s been the reason all season. McLean is a senior player with good work rate. Championship might be his level but there isn’t anyone else who we can consistently play. It’s not his fault his level is good championship, it’s not from a lack of training or effort. he was 250k from Aberdeen and has player well over a 100 games for us. He has been a good signing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorenson got a chance to impress against Charlton and looked poor.

Everyone looked crap against Charlton. A thrown-together team of players with several coming back from injury with no goals in ages against a fired-up underdog is not exactly the kind of game where loads of players are going to look good.

Besides, I'd rather play/develop our own younger player instead of Gilmour.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Actually Gilmour has been the biggest problem in our midfield. We completely reshaped our system to accommodate him and it ruined us. He's contributed to zero goals in attack and about 10 in defence (or lack thereof). 

What we needed (and need) is a pair of genuine central defensive midfielders. Perhaps Rupp and Normann might be a better pairing than we've seen so far, but I suspect that's a case of absence making players seem better. 

Cant disagree with this but I was always bemused why Farke seemed to play him in front of defence. For me only way to accommodate him is to have him just off the front one (or two) to provide an outlet pass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Have we given up on survival? I doubt the club have yet.

I also wonder what players are actually being prevented from developing yet? If any were really ready to go into the first team then they’d have been training with the squad regardless of Normann or Gilmour or whoever being there. Is there really anyone ready to come through?

Losing Normann put us over the barrel, and then losing Rupp was the pants-down event. For god's sake can someone give Deano the cash to pull our kecks back up. 

To be fair, we were spoilt last season with two talented midfield players albeit in the Championship. And they have been replaced, to play in a higher division, with players of less ability. Did they honestly think PLM was going to be another EMI? The price might have been the same but the ability isn't. Kenny proved he couldn't do it. And Normann, as well as he played in the games he managed, is still short of what is needed in the EPL. And Gilmour looked good  at Chelsea because he had ten other top layers alongside him.

We are getting tanked each game because we have a Championship side. And a Championship level midfield will get destroyed 19 out of 20.