Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

Team for Everton

looking at how teams are overloading our far post on crosses, set pieces particularly exploiting our lack of height with Aarons at right back, that offensively Aarons and Giannoulis are pacey and create assists and that we will sometimes need to double up defensively to protect against the counter, I would be tempted to go with this starting eleven :-

image.thumb.jpeg.4eb8396e59e8859e68f189f3d755ed08.jpeg

You do realise that playing six at the back will be a first in the premiership, but as we’re a club starting to look like we’ll set a lot of firsts why not, then how about dropping McLean and playing Kabak as the third CB? That’s seven defenders, might just about kept the score down to 2-0. What next two keepers?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Indy said:

You do realise that playing six at the back will be a first in the premiership, but as we’re a club starting to look like we’ll set a lot of firsts why not, then how about dropping McLean and playing Kabak as the third CB? That’s seven defenders, might just about kept the score down to 2-0. What next two keepers?

My suggestion is unfortunately a result of this appalling season which last night once again demonstrated our lack of cutting edge in final third. Giannoulis has been used before for Greece as left winger and indeed both him and Aarons have got the pace and ability to take players on as well as that defensive side of their game. 

Apart from Rashica, the other available options just don’t inspire anything to change - Sargent, unfit/disinterested Cantwell, Tzolis, Dowell. Placheta wasn’t as lively as he had been in the previous games.

sad state of affairs and hence my suggested use of full backs as wingers ! 

If Idah is fit it will be same again for Everton. It's our strongest line-up with the players available.

It's a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommo said:

My suggestion is unfortunately a result of this appalling season which last night once again demonstrated our lack of cutting edge in final third. Giannoulis has been used before for Greece as left winger and indeed both him and Aarons have got the pace and ability to take players on as well as that defensive side of their game. 

Apart from Rashica, the other available options just don’t inspire anything to change - Sargent, unfit/disinterested Cantwell, Tzolis, Dowell. Placheta wasn’t as lively as he had been in the previous games.

sad state of affairs and hence my suggested use of full backs as wingers ! 

Yeh but as I said, McLean fits exactly what you’ve said about the wingers, so play Kabak , he loves to carry the ball forwards like a midfielder!

But nope not for me, it’s hard enough without playing too many defensive players, we haven’t scored in 551 minutes in the league. Personally I don’t have any suggestions anymore, I hope that Smith does the job he’s supposed to be an expert in, he works with his players and knows what they’re capable of in training, he needs to assess his squad and pick his strongest 11 and formation. If no improvement in the next three games get rid and get someone up and coming with a history of getting the most out of a limited budget, Smith isn’t that manager.

Edited by Indy

I really think we should be throwing literally everything we have at this game, but we literally have nothing to throw, nada, zero. Demarai Gray (who they managed to sign for peanuts) has the kind of pace that worries me against our lot. Calvert Lewin back. Ducoure is strong. Otherwise they are very average.

The decision to neither sign a new CDM and not return Gilmour for another loan option is suicide at a key point in the season.

I'd set up as we did at home to Brighton but we don't have enough midfielders, it's pathetic. This is as close as we can play it with Sargent dropping into midfield without the ball.

lineup.png.44b69eafb03d24ed00229d9413999611.png

24 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I really think we should be throwing literally everything we have at this game, but we literally have nothing to throw, nada, zero. Demarai Gray (who they managed to sign for peanuts) has the kind of pace that worries me against our lot. Calvert Lewin back. Ducoure is strong. Otherwise they are very average.

The decision to neither sign a new CDM and not return Gilmour for another loan option is suicide at a key point in the season.

I'd set up as we did at home to Brighton but we don't have enough midfielders, it's pathetic. This is as close as we can play it with Sargent dropping into midfield without the ball.

lineup.png.44b69eafb03d24ed00229d9413999611.png

How about pushing Kenny forward instead of Sargent and play Sorenson in the middle

3 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

How about pushing Kenny forward instead of Sargent and play Sorenson in the middle

I don't think Sorenson has shown himself to be a PL midfielder (although he's in good company there) and in a game where we need to move the ball quickly he's not that player. I'd actually have him in a back 3 though.

The problem as ever is the gaping hole in the middle of the park.

Wingers that are basically forwards and centre-mids whose first instinct is to aggressively press means that we have few passing lanes out from the back. Going long surrenders the ball and usually means our midfield can be totally bypassed, leading to 4v4 (at best) baring down on our goal.

We don't move up or down as a unit and at this level that is child's play to attack through. We were actually OK yesterday until they scored, at which point the game got stretched and we revert back to the panicky 3-2-5 and it was over