Embarrassed to admit I thought he was going to be our stand out player in the middle this season... How wrong can you be (this is why I'm no scout) 

I think any player can look half decent now and again. I'm afraid I see the criteria to make him a good player as half decent nearly all the time.

If he turns out to be good in the Championship we have the usual paradox with the season after. A squad full of Championship winners who cannot play at the higher level.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think any player can look half decent now and again. I'm afraid I see the criteria to make him a good player as half decent nearly all the time.

If he turns out to be good in the Championship we have the usual paradox with the season after. A squad full of Championship winners who cannot play at the higher level.

He does have a bit of an air of class about him (similar in that way to Vrancic) which i think could see him thrive in the championship where he will have more time, be facing weaker and less talented opposition and (hopefully) we will be on the front foot in most games.

As you say issue then will be making sure IF we get promoted again we replace him with a better first 11 player of premier league standard.

I will probably get shot for saying this, but I thought PLM was one of our better players verses West Ham.

If anyone needed to get a carpeting it was Gibson.

Our supposed Premier League "quality" Centre Back- whose only skill it seemed was getting on the wrong side of Bowen for both goals.

At least it vindicates our recruiting team's statements about ambition.

It would be ambitious indeed to call Gibson's performance "Premier League Quality". 

• Like 2

I thought he would be the replacement for Buendia's advanced press, something I think he did well away at Brentford.

The problem, I think, is that if you take the XI at West Ham as an example then really only Hanley and Krul are primarily defensive players. The rest- Gibson, Aarons and Williams included- have more attacking tendencies. All sword and no shield.

5 hours ago, Bonzo said:

I will probably get shot for saying this, but I thought PLM was one of our better players verses West Ham.

If anyone needed to get a carpeting it was Gibson.

Our supposed Premier League "quality" Centre Back- whose only skill it seemed was getting on the wrong side of Bowen for both goals.

At least it vindicates our recruiting team's statements about ambition.

It would be ambitious indeed to call Gibson's performance "Premier League Quality". 

Gibson was added for championship when was pressure to be added some one with better quality and Gibson was OK for this league.

One of big problems we are facing been yo yo between pr.league and championship is that we must recruit for championship very often as no one guarantee us that we will promote same season.So when we added Gibson was good choice but with clause we must buy him for 9 mil if promoted we are with no choice, choice,because if we not agree his clause we not possible buy him etc.

Our worst nightmare as a club is that if we grow fast as last years we do we also fast have players who become bigger than club or too big value on them to be keep it easy here without damage players morale.

Somehow we manage this try see max 1 2 per season as we do with Jamal,Ben Godfrey and Buendia but when 3 players ask to go same season as Max ,Todd ,Emi and impossible keep Skipp we face big task imo.Sell all of them is impossible coz fans will be angry and keep 2 of them Max and Todd  1 year more that is normal is loose loose situation because you have unhappy players who underperform.

Lees-Melou  seems cheap and fit on paper but this league become too fast compared to Spain France Italy so average players from this leagues find hard life here imo.

Im not  say Weber is victim or so but our model and way to run club  is much complicated that look like from distance.

We take some gambles with Greek players(may be because this greek female scout)and also players who need time for this league and this not paid for now.

On 12/01/2022 at 21:40, Ian said:

Looked quality in pre-season, but was never able to get anywhere near the West Ham midfield tonight. Always seemed to be half a yard off the pace.

Honestly, seems like Vrancic without the attacking ability at the moment.

Well, this aged well.

Quality performance today, long may it continue.

• Like 5

His best game by a mile today. He was noticeably deeper and his positional discipline was excellent. Formed a solid partnership with Sorensen (who was also excellent) and allowed the attacking players a degree of freedom.

Have to admit he was superb today. Key moment was when Gianoullis bottled a tackle only for PLM to make an excellent well time challenge.

Credit due, well played.