Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v West Ham(PL) *****

It would be nice to have a player even half approaching Rice's ability. 

It's still the biggest, glaringly obvious, miss in this team. 

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

I just did, couldn’t you read the second line?!

So it was 1-0 and our best player was taken off, the one who had tested their keeper and you think it was good to rest him because we have another game at the weekend?

What coaching manual did you read that in?

Surprised by the overly negative reaction here.

I’m not super happy at another defeat, but given the personnel available and quality of opposition that was a decent, effort filled performance. 

We were in that game till their second goal and but for an outstanding save could have been holding out for a point in the last 15 rather than chasing the game which led to the second.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Well it wasn't embarrassing or humiliating, and a few players showed decent moments, certainly more positives to take than from the past 3 games. But we're still miles off being good enough for this league.

Pretty much spot on.  There were plus points, so things to build on  and we do still have 6-7 players out (despite the insistence of some that we have a ‘nearly fully fit squad to choose from’)- but it’s looking like a long hard second half of the season.

We are a poor team in this league. It's been a negative ( mathematically) incremental deterioration over two years. I can't see Smith making much of a difference so far and Webber may have been found out.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not difficult if youre watching, he looked shot and was feeling his groin area a couple times too. Hopefully precautionary.

Or perhaps his mind was on something more pleasurable ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

It would be nice to have a player even half approaching Rice's ability. 

It's still the biggest, glaringly obvious, miss in this team. 

So, given that he's rated at £100m that would still be a £50m player......

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think that is what is so depressing- this was actually an OK performance by our standards yet we still looked miles off. 

Yep you're right. It was probably very slightly better than the defeats at West Ham and Burnley two seasons ago of the same score line, both performances were early on in the season but put down as total non-display, awful displays - little did we know at the time what was to come in the Premier League. Since then we've become so accustomed to utterly failing to compete at this level, and being totally humiliated, that we are now taking the positives from probably a 4.5-5/10 performance...

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

45 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I was meaning the previous summer window after we’d been promoted. He was still at Hull in championship. I suppose Hull held their nerve and didn’t let the player go to get a decent fee in Jan, but did we try?

Reportedly yes. And when you say previous summer, we still couldn't afford him. We were in the PL in 2019/20. We had all of what? £5m to spend... hence the loans. We signed Rupp in January. 

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, saving him for the Championship tilt next season.😉

Ah yes I knew there must be a good explanation 😄   

Didn't think it had anything to do with him being a fit young lad having a really good game.😉

Sargent and Tzolis were not what we needed right now this season. Best part of £20m wasted and Rashica hardly pulling up trees either.

Pretty clear where the blame lays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Or perhaps his mind was on something more pleasurable ...

All that groin touching.......never had that under Farke😉

Did I see a meaningful cross, through ball or shot from Placheta tonight?

And his defending and tracking back is almost non-existent.

Is that last season's 'one for the future'?

Edited by Yellow Wal
Additional text

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

All that groin touching.......never had that under Farke😉

Maybe he pulled something.🤔

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

Reportedly yes. And when you say previous summer, we still couldn't afford him. We were in the PL in 2019/20. We had all of what? £5m to spend... hence the loans. We signed Rupp in January. 

We had more to spend but chose not to. Remember the £15-16 million bid for the French winger toward the end of the summer transfer window?

19 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Well Happy clappers was"nt that a great game of football, we had a shot on goal, 2 passes in midfield, Hanley headed the ball, the fans should be very proud of the team tonight , they put in a shift in tonight 2, what more can you happy cappers want, apart from a goal🤣

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, saving him for the Championship tilt next season.😉

....and maybe our 1st Division campaign the following season.....?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So it was 1-0 and our best player was taken off, the one who had tested their keeper and you think it was good to rest him because we have another game at the weekend?

What coaching manual did you read that in?

Really?  He was knackered and looked like he’d taken a knock.  Which bit of that causes you a problem - or would you prefer a player to carry on injured and  have a long spell on the sidelines?  That we also have a (more) important game within 3 days might come into the thinking. 
Is that really so hard to understand?

Who are these crucial players we are missing? AO wasn't being picked so the defence is full strength. Pukki is still playing so thats another first choice. Kenny gets picked every game. PLM has played 15 times. Rashica 14 times.

So we are missing Normann and Gilmour. The same Gilmour who has come in for criticism and was dropped by DF.

We aren't really missingtoo much if truth be told.

• Like 1

Smith may actually make Idah into a player. I’d pretty much written him off but credit due tonight. It’s the first time I’ve seen him do anything but trudge about looking clueless.  

Edited by Clever Farke

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who are these crucial players we are missing? AO wasn't being picked so the defence is full strength. Pukki is still playing so thats another first choice. Kenny gets picked every game. PLM has played 15 times. Rashica 14 times.

So we are missing Normann and Gilmour. The same Gilmour who has come in for criticism and was dropped by DF.

We aren't really missingtoo much if truth be told.

Rupp, Gilmour, Normann - at least two of those would have started

Andrew O I’d have started ahead of Gibson

Cantwell might have started ahead of Placheta all things being equal.

So that’s 4 potential changes that I’d have made.  Whether you like it or not, we still have a lot of players out.

With fewer guys out we’d have also had the real option of playing a back 3, but given injuries it was probably not a realistic option.

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Really?  He was knackered and looked like he’d taken a knock.  Which bit of that causes you a problem - or would you prefer a player to carry on injured and  have a long spell on the sidelines?  That we also have a (more) important game within 3 days might come into the thinking. 
Is that really so hard to understand?

For goodness sake. He was our best chance and it was 1-0. He looked like he had taken a knock? Looked like but you don't know. And he was meant to be knackered. You are supposed to leave it all out on the pitch. Good on him for his effort.

In our position you do not wait for the next game. That is a ridiculous thought. And I find you very hard to understand that you think there was anything good to take out of that game. Just as you don't like posters who moan and even ridicule, even fair minded posters like myself cannot understand your ridiculous posts that are smug enough to use remarks  like

Don’t worry, there’s some here who can actually see what’s going on.  

You obviously couldn't.

7 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

Stop harping on. There aren’t any happy clappers left. Everyone accepts we are shat. 

They are at last in the minority, praise the lord for that. 

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

For goodness sake. He was our best chance and it was 1-0. He looked like he had taken a knock? Looked like but you don't know. And he was meant to be knackered. You are supposed to leave it all out on the pitch. Good on him for his effort.

In our position you do not wait for the next game. That is a ridiculous thought. And I find you very hard to understand that you think there was anything good to take out of that game. Just as you don't like posters who moan and even ridicule, even fair minded posters like myself cannot understand your ridiculous posts that are smug enough to use remarks  like

Don’t worry, there’s some here who can actually see what’s going on.  

You obviously couldn't.

Lol. 

Always find it amusing when people think that a young athlete is knackered and couldn’t have managed to have played on for another 15 minutes. He isn’t turning out for the Nags head Sunday league team after putting in a 50 hour week on a building site and been out on the lash the night before… If he’s taken a knock then that’s a different matter but at 1-0 he’s the only one looking capable of getting us back in it.

Edited by Virtual reality

It looked like he’d taken a knock to several of us - if that’s wrong then fair enough.  But a tired body with an injury is not a sensible mix, you carry on and risk making it a lot worse

Edited by Branston Pickle

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It looked like he’d taken a knock to several of us - if that’s wrong then fair enough.  But a tired body with an injury is not a sensible mix, you carry on and risk making it a lot worse

👍And how much game time has he had recently,  no way will he be 100%  match fit/ sharp. He did his bit, ,nearly  equalised. Looked far more a player than he has done recently,  I thought he put in a good shift. Progress. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Surprised by the overly negative reaction here.

I’m not super happy at another defeat, but given the personnel available and quality of opposition that was a decent, effort filled performance. 

We were in that game till their second goal and but for an outstanding save could have been holding out for a point in the last 15 rather than chasing the game which led to the second.

I agree, I thought we competed, and considering how strong Wet spam are that was an okay performance.  I still want to win, and also see more tackling and some more goals.  Idah was our best player, and looked the part, run close by Williams.  Decent games from PLM, Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Rashica, Placheta and Pukki. 

We still looked soft in the middle, and gave the ball away too easily but for me that performance was okay.

Do not get me started on the fact that Bowen beat Gibson in the air in our six yard box, our CB needs to win that.

Need to build on this, not get angry just because we lost.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I agree, I thought we competed, and considering how strong Wet spam are that was an okay performance.  I still want to win, and also see more tackling and some more goals.  Idah was our best player, and looked the part, run close by Williams.  Decent games from PLM, Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Rashica, Placheta and Pukki. 

We still looked soft in the middle, and gave the ball away too easily but for me that performance was okay.

Do not get me started on the fact that Bowen beat Gibson in the air in our six yard box, our CB needs to win that.

Need to build on this, not get angry just because we lost.

Newt O Pia. I think you are wrong. I think we SHOULD get angry just because we lost. I believe that we should get angry EVERY time we lose. We should be outraged that we do not compete at this level. That we have no quality players in the squad. We have no players wishing to show that they are better than the mediocrity that we see exhibited week in and week out. We should be furious that we have wasted another season in the Premiership. We should be incensed that all the Buendia income was flushed down the toilet buying Tzolis , Lees Mallooo and all the other inadequates. I can see nothing good coming from this season or the next few seasons. We will be fortunate to stay in the Championship next season.