Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v West Ham(PL) *****

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "LOTUS Joma Vitality letway A LOTUS wham ndon umbre WESTHA LONDON LONDON STADIUM WEDNESDAY JANUARY 12 KICK-OFF 7.45PM (UK)"
Away fixture at the London Stadium, Kick off 19:45(gmt).

FI68qaRWQAAsijk?format=jpg&name=small
May be an image of map and text that says "GLOBAL KICK-OFF WEST HAMUNITEDV NORWICH CITY Toronto 14:45 Helsinki 21:45 Norwich 19:45 Berlin 20:45 Tampa Bay 14:45 Los Angeles 11:45 Beijing 03:45 Pristina 20:45 Abu Dhabi 23:45 Athens 21:45 Rio De Janeiro 16:45 Seoul 04:45 Hong Kong 03:45 Bangkok 02:45 Nairobi 22:45 TAMPA BAY FLORIDA Buenos Aires 16:45 Sydney 06:45"

Videos:

Articles:
The BBC have their usual pre match piece that can be found here.
The pinkun have articles in the run up to the game with the pre match presser one of them which can be found here.
Club preview from canaries.co.uk, this week with Dean Smith.

Ins, outs, shake it all abouts:
West Ham: Benrahma (Africa Cup of Nations), Zouma (recovering from hamstring injury), 
Norwich: Gilmore (3-4 weeks, ankle), Rupp (injured), Normann (rehabilitation from hip injury), Cantwell could be back in the squad for today. No new injury concerns from the weekends FA cup game.

A little bit of knowledge:
West Harm first formed under the name of Thames Ironworks in 1895. This is where the nickname of the "irons" derives from along with the reason for the crossed hammers on their club badge which is the source of their other well known nickname - the "Hammers". They became West Ham in July 1900. They moved from the Boleyn Ground in 2016 to the London Stadium that was constructed as part of the London 2012 Olympics.

I actually took a stadium tour the last day they were available prior to the demolition starting proper, a tour that took us to parts of the ground previously not on the tour because there was no reason for any confidentiality or secrecy. It was very weird and eerie, a ground with such history for English football, not just the club itself, not only standing empty, but in a state of being taken apart in front of your eyes. The tour guides even said that there was nothing left that the club wanted so to help yourself to things - apart from the seats which I think were being auctioned off. Used sports bottles in the changing rooms, loose tiles.. it was like a house clearance, though no one really took them up on it. My maternal side of the family hails from the East End with my grandfather having been a dyed in the wool West Ham fan, probably added to the occasion knowing it had been a ground he regularly visited throughout his life, making it a bit of a pilgrimage. 

There have been plenty of links between the clubs over the years for various reasons, Robert Green and Dean Ashton both moving to West Ham from Norwich, Snodgrass also found his way there after a stint at Hull. Mark Bowen also moved to West Ham after becoming a firm fans favourite at Norwich. Did Norwich do so well in the other direction? Well, Martin Peters famously started his career with West Ham, some longer in the tooth supporters will remember signing Tony Cottee from them in Sept 2000... probably not the best memory of players coming this direction. Perhaps more worthy of note alongside Peters is Ken Brown who spent the majority of his playing days at West Ham and who managed Norwich from 1980-1987. Some folks who can recall that time better than I (I wasn't into double figures by the time he left) have expressed that his tenure at Norwich was felt years after and was a contributing factor to the success of the club in the last few years of the '80's and into the early '90's including the European run.

Pups for the CSF:
A West Ham special this week from @nutty nigel so why not get involved whilst you still can?

Something extra:
Jonathan Rowe signs a new contract with Norwich:

U18's match highlights Vs Crystal Palace:

Oh, and Happy Birthday ZIMBO!!!
May be an image of 1 person and text that says "t LOTUS HAPPY BIRTHDAY Christoph Zimmermann"

Edited by chicken
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Thanks chaps. Guesses on team line-up? I know there has been suggestion of 3 at the back due to lack of midfielders. Not sure how that works unless you are going to play a 5-4-1 really. I say that as previous formations with three at the back have still have three midfielders, even if one of them is an AM, and it's not like we are littered with those either eg; 3-5-2, or 3-5-1-1.

Can people see us deploying a 5-4-1? McLean and another with Rashica one side and Placheta the other? 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Might be early but this is a fantastic match thread. Think you have made the standard for all our future ones!

I think earlier is probably better, especially for weekdays. I can do it in my lunch hour then as well. Weekends can be a bit of a mad rush, so I may have to do them the evening before, I try to do them first thing.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Thanks chaps. Guesses on team line-up? I know there has been suggestion of 3 at the back due to lack of midfielders. Not sure how that works unless you are going to play a 5-4-1 really. I say that as previous formations with three at the back have still have three midfielders, even if one of them is an AM, and it's not like we are littered with those either eg; 3-5-2, or 3-5-1-1.

Can people see us deploying a 5-4-1? McLean and another with Rashica one side and Placheta the other? 

What about 5-3-2 with two wing-backs? Sargent and Pukki up top.

I think we should play 5-5-2. An extra body in defence and attack would really help. Then we might just nick a draw.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

What about 2 5 3 1. Two goalkeepers five at the back 

Didn't the lot down the road try that once and gave away a pen and had a player sent off?

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Another big loss, but will be watching nonetheless.

Rubber-knecking?😅

• Haha 1

So what will the TC excuse be tonight?

Injury or illness?

Edited by duke63

In terms of fit midfielders we have just McLean, Lees-Melou and Sorensen. Stretch that a bit if you include Dowell and Byram. I'm expecting 5 at the back in the circumstances ?

Midfield will be overun tonight, the hammers will be too physical for us to cope with. Fear a big score against us incoming. 

14 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I'm feeling a 3-0 to West Ham. I really hope I'm wrong. A bonus win would be fantastic.

OTBC

Up that prediction by a couple.