Sign in to follow this  
YoussefSafriFromDistance

10 - 15 million and a premier league loan spot

If Cantwell were to move to Newcastle and Gilmour were to stay at Chelsea following his injury assessment (Is it normal for a loan player to return to their parent club for injury treatment?) that would leave us with the 10-15 million plus a prem loan spot.

I think this would put us in a good position to sign a decent CDM and an attacking player to match the quality of Rashica and Pukki, this would get rid of two technically gifted but light-weight/luxury players who are clearly not physically or mentally suited to a relegation scrap and allow us to fix our two main problems. 

I know a lot of people think the club and Webber have given up because Dean Smith has said not to expect transfers but surely you would expect him to keep his cards close to his chest and manage expectations just in case transfers don't happen?

It is relatively normal for the parent club to want to get a look at it and assess the treatment needed. Obviously it was just a minor hamstring strain or similar he'd stay here but for something a bit more severe Chelsea will want to control how it is treated. 

The only reason I see them recalling him longer term is if Chelsea felt he'd benefit from 6 months at a lower level in a team that plays good football on the front foot to build confidence.

Tbh I am in two minds at the moment.

We face a stiff task of staying in this league. Do we pay £15m for a player now, that is likely to cost half that in the summer, and hope that they can keep us in the Premier League, or do we wait until the summer, keep that money to one side and not have to pay Premier League tax on a player we want?

Realistically, unless we can find another Buendia, and even then he took a while to get going even in his first season, or two for £15m that easily in a January transfer window? The majority of players that look good will be in teams challenging for promotion or abroad and arguably may need a settling in/adapting period (see Leitner, Rupp, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Rashica, Duda etc).

Is £15m going to be enough to transform us this season?

A loan is worth a shot. I'd guess we'd have to come to some agreement with Chelsea otherwise we'd have to cancel the loan itself but still fork out the cost of it and then pay out again for another loan, which may also not work out and be twice as out of pocket for it.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Tbh I am in two minds at the moment.

We face a stiff task of staying in this league. Do we pay £15m for a player now, that is likely to cost half that in the summer, and hope that they can keep us in the Premier League, or do we wait until the summer, keep that money to one side and not have to pay Premier League tax on a player we want?

Realistically, unless we can find another Buendia, and even then he took a while to get going even in his first season, or two for £15m that easily in a January transfer window? The majority of players that look good will be in teams challenging for promotion or abroad and arguably may need a settling in/adapting period (see Leitner, Rupp, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Rashica, Duda etc).

Is £15m going to be enough to transform us this season?

A loan is worth a shot. I'd guess we'd have to come to some agreement with Chelsea otherwise we'd have to cancel the loan itself but still fork out the cost of it and then pay out again for another loan, which may also not work out and be twice as out of pocket for it.

I think if we were still adrift on less than five points or something then it's not worth it but with those two signings plus a fit Pukki Normann and Rashica I really believe we can get a bit of momentum and stay up.

If we do nothing and then I really do worry about our midfield especially without Normann and now Gilmour for a month, I guess this is why they're considering a back 3 again now.

Speaking hypothetically, how much would someone like El Ghazi (experienced Premier league, who can score goals at this level) really cost us?

Not saying we're going for him, but with him well down the pecking order, he's someone who'd instantly improve our attacking midfield options, but in todays, and a january, market, how much would he be valued at?    

19 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Speaking hypothetically, how much would someone like El Ghazi (experienced Premier league, who can score goals at this level) really cost us?

Not saying we're going for him, but with him well down the pecking order, he's someone who'd instantly improve our attacking midfield options, but in todays, and a january, market, how much would he be valued at?    

He'd cost £15m according to this. Percy pretty accurate with his transfer talk usually.

21 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Given what we saw last night, El Ghazi ain't the answer.  Buendia on the other hand .....