Sign in to follow this  
Danke bitte

Fan comments by Smith

51 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Where is it demonstrably unhelpful?!  On Sunday we were doing the sarcastic 'pretending we scored' chant, and then shortly after that Rashica poked one home.

I could argue that it therefore demonstratively helps.

I tend to think all the players who have been interviewed, all the ex-players who have talked about it in their books are a more reliable source than one chant and a goal following.

It's also a fairly sensible conclusion to draw even without all the above evidence by those who are subjected to it.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I tend to think all the players who have been interviewed, all the ex-players who have talked about it in their books are a more reliable source than one chant and a goal following.

It's also a fairly sensible conclusion to draw even without all the above evidence by those who are subjected to it.

If you asked me to write a book I'd complain about the people around me, management and customers.  The more demanding the customers, the greater level of effort returned was to please them. Have you never complained to get what you want?

Attending supporters have a right to voice their displeasure - The **** show presented from players, owners & managers should be accountable and be willing to stand up and correct it when called out on the matter.  If they can't, they're in the wrong game and don't deserve to be earning more in a week than an NHS worker gets per year. 

We've been outworked in countless games, not out-skilled.  It's easy to demonstrate that complaining IS helpful, particularly in our case where we are one of the most accepting fans but we've been served this **** up for too long now, absolute embarrassment of this league. 

I don't see any other club being called out for "Not trying" by so many pundits, do you? 

As for our local/loyal reporters, should they be silenced too..?!

image.png.8e5dd1910a4770742b3854062bae8c2d.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Oh it's so very, very  unhelpful.....I mean, just what will the neighbour's think?.....

Sounded like classic 'millenial speak' to me.

Mark my words there is big trouble ahead. The shoots of unhappiness among those who have been travelling away is now turning into sarcastic chants and if things don't improve history tells you what comes next.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

@pearsos of course fans react to circumstances.  No one is arguing that we shouldn’t be passionate but we’re talking about slagging players off mid-game.  

It’s interesting that one of your comments is  “if the team need a bit of encouragement fans rally behind them.”   There’s not so much evidence of this right now, it feels that if they aren’t playing well from the off they are rounded on.

I have to disagree that they are rounded on from the start. It’s normally later in games when the majority of fans know that we are going to lose AGAIN.

Take two recent home games where the atmosphere was very different.

Against Man Ure the crowd stayed with the team for the whole game because they gave it a go, didn’t make silly mistakes and stayed in the game. The applause at the end showed the fans appreciation.

With the Arsenal game it was clear that once they scored a second just before half time it was game lost. In the concourse at half time all the talk was about how many Arsenal would end up scoring.

If we all just sat there and said nothing how would we get the message across that we are not happy? 
Yes you can blame the owners, yes you can blame the manager but why can’t  you blame the players?

So, it’s ok to shout Delia out or Dean out but not tell a player to wake up or tell him he’s playing sh1t.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If you asked me to write a book I'd complain about the people around me, management and customers.  The more demanding the customers, the greater level of effort returned was to please them. Have you never complained to get what you want?

Attending supporters have a right to voice their displeasure - The **** show presented from players, owners & managers should be accountable and be willing to stand up and correct it when called out on the matter.  If they can't, they're in the wrong game and don't deserve to be earning more in a week than an NHS worker gets per year. 

We've been outworked in countless games, not out-skilled.  It's easy to demonstrate that complaining IS helpful, particularly in our case where we are one of the most accepting fans but we've been served this **** up for too long now, absolute embarrassment of this league. 

I don't see any other club being called out for "Not trying" by so many pundits, do you? 

As for our local/loyal reporters, should they be silenced too..?!

image.png.8e5dd1910a4770742b3854062bae8c2d.png

Again, you're missing the crux of it. I don't care about the argument of it being someones 'right' to abuse our own players - it's a pointless argument but the problem is in football it tends to boil over and Idah ended up receiving racist abuse. 

Regardless of right, the point is the players themselves say it doesn't help and I don't see why anyone would think abusing our own players is helpful. I get the emotion at the time and all that associated rubbish, but it doesn't detract from the fact it's unhelpful. Smith is right about that.

I’ll get told to “fcuk off” at work this afternoon at least a few times. Now and again the boot will fly in and I’ve have been put down by a punch ( was a beauty mind on my blind side) Highlight was one chap trying to put me over a large fence but that’s my job and I won’t cry about it. Maybe some footballers could do with a work experience at different places just for a week or two. 

• Like 1

If he doesnt like crowd responses he needs to be focussing on what the crowd are responding to.

If the crowd pays a fortune to watch 90 minutes of dross from overpaid playboys who cant be bothered then happy clapping they will not get.

If however the team gives the crowd something to respond to - some crunching tackles, some running into the ground, some last ditch defending, a shot on goal perhaps, then he wouldnt have this problem.

The crowd is a wind-sock, a temperature gauge and nothing more

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll get told to “fcuk off” at work this afternoon at least a few times. Now and again the boot will fly in and I’ve have been put down by a punch ( was a beauty mind on my blind side) Highlight was one chap trying to put me over a large fence but that’s my job and I won’t cry about it. Maybe some footballers could do with a work experience at different places just for a week or two. 

What the hell do you do? Bayliff? Traffic warden? CPN/Care assistant?

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If you're getting insulted and attacked regularly at work you should probably start looking for a new job

• Like 1

It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Fans won't and shouldn't put up with this dross we've been served up for so long in the Premier League. We're absolutely entitled to react unhappily and sarcastically if we choose to. Dean Smith, Webber and the players are paid the big money and to lecture us about our reactions is taking the Michael out of us. Not a good thing for him to have said here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you're getting insulted and attacked regularly at work you should probably start looking for a new job

Or don’t take it too personally, build up trust and a rapport and move on. 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Regardless of right, the point is the players themselves say it doesn't help and I don't see why anyone would think abusing our own players is helpful. I get the emotion at the time and all that associated rubbish, but it doesn't detract from the fact it's unhelpful. Smith is right about that.

We're not talking about players being abused.  That's a completely different topic, this thread is related the sarcasm during games that Smith is not happy about.

We're talking about somewhat gallows humour due to woeful, lacklustre performances - this after the club have sacked a manager and brought another one in, telling us that they have everything needed to survive.

How you want to inflate that up to being abusive and racist defies logic.  This is just the fans feeling hopeless and demoralised and trying to find some fun to raise energy in the stands.  I don't know if you attend or not, but it's very evident when travelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Or don’t take it too personally, build up trust and a rapport and move on. 

Copper ?

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Copper ?

Mental health lock up ward all male, 90 odd per cent of the time the shifts run smoothly with the right team on duty. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

What the hell do you do? Bayliff? Traffic warden? CPN/Care assistant?

Bodyguard for Boris Johnson

It’s a minor point in the grand scheme of things but have found it a bit odd that Smith has not once come over to the fans after a game - perhaps we were spoilt with Farke but a bit of appreciation would be nice. That, along with comments such as this, isn’t a great way to go about enamouring yourself with a new fanbase. 

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Mark my words there is big trouble ahead. The shoots of unhappiness among those who have been travelling away is now turning into sarcastic chants and if things don't improve history tells you what comes next.

Agreed, you can almost smell it now. 

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll get told to “fcuk off” at work this afternoon at least a few times. Now and again the boot will fly in and I’ve have been put down by a punch ( was a beauty mind on my blind side) Highlight was one chap trying to put me over a large fence but that’s my job and I won’t cry about it.

Same, I've always worked better in that environment too.  I hate all this passive aggressive being everyone's friend BS, you can save yourself months if not years of issues if you just have it out with someone. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Agreed, you can almost smell it now. 

When it happens it will be a reality check for an awful lot of posters who were not around the last time it took place.

42 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Highlight was one chap trying to put me over a large fence but that’s my job and I won’t cry about it.

What on earth is your job?

Sorry, seen you've already answered this.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Question already answered

Must admit to feeling slightly uneasy at some of the chants at the Valley toward the team after the 6th or so ,time

If theres any animosity or chanting ,I'd rather they be directed more toward the board than the players/management.

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Doesn’t appreciate the sarcasm from fans during the games apparently as it’s hurting players confidence.

I’m inclined to agree but equally it’s born out frustration and anger which I also completely understand.

It’s not the players fault really, they didn’t recruit themselves. I think the ire should be directed at Webber really but there you go.

Thoughts?

Smith needs to grow up. Can't he see why some of us have had enough? The teams been as bad as farkes team performances and tactics

13 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

It is deflection. 

To make it as a footballer or manager you have had to put up with far worse, far more more often, as far back as you can remember. 

Parma 

Not for the first time either!

Fact is the players have gotten far more support this season than they've earned on the pitch, and the season had unravelled long before the fans turned to gallows humour. So the players couldn't maintain any level of confidence with a fully backing and willing support.

Every new game represents a new chance to change something, and every new game the home and travelling fans will start that match 100% behind the players, without a doubt. Of course the mood of the crowd might change 30 minutes later, when we're 1 or 2 nil down, haven't had a shot and don't look capable of even creating an opportunity. But who's fault is that, certainly not the fans.

I'm sure the gallows stuff isn't super helpful either but I'd certainly be joining in if I were amongst the away fans, as it happens I'm bloody glad I've not committed to attending any away games this season...

I don't really understand what Smith and Webber would have the fans do, prior to the Charlton game (and even for the vast majority of that match) we hadn't put together one sequence of decent footy since the Man United game. The players are literally giving us nothing to get behind. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Which is the point Smith is making. He is 100% correct but there's almost no point saying it, some fans love the opportunity to lay into their own players for some reason.

Right on cue. All hail the morally superior super fan 🙌.

• Like 7