Sign in to follow this  
Danke bitte

Fan comments by Smith

Doesn’t appreciate the sarcasm from fans during the games apparently as it’s hurting players confidence.

I’m inclined to agree but equally it’s born out frustration and anger which I also completely understand.

It’s not the players fault really, they didn’t recruit themselves. I think the ire should be directed at Webber really but there you go.

Thoughts?

He’ll have to put up with it.  Given the abject displays on the pitch both this season and two seasons ago, he’s lucky that it’s just a bit of sarcasm.  In our position supporters of many other clubs would have mounted concerted campaigns to voice their displeasure at the direction of travel of the club.

• Like 1

When you've been blatantly lied to by the owners for a second disastrous PL campaign on the trot it has to come out somewhere.

Another utter embarrassment and our best player let go before a ball was kicked I think the full stadium says they should be grateful for small mercies.

• Like 5

It’s all double-edged - a couple of better performances and it all takes care of itself as confidence returns both to fans and players, but without that it will only get worse. 

It’s finding those better performances that is the problem.  Hopefully with players coming back and having had a run out on Sunday they’ll be a bit more ready to put in a decent performance tomorrow/Saturday. 

Yup.....gonna be the fan's fault we're floundering.....What a clever strategy.....It was always on the cards, and yet the fish rots from the head......

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Doesn’t appreciate the sarcasm from fans during the games apparently as it’s hurting players confidence.

I’m inclined to agree but equally it’s born out frustration and anger which I also completely understand.

It’s not the players fault really, they didn’t recruit themselves. I think the ire should be directed at Webber really but there you go.

Thoughts?

If it’s sarcasm and not a polemic attack on individual players then fair enough. More of it happening away from home it seems too but performances have been woeful. If the dross continues perhaps it’s time for Webber, Smith and Jones to have a share too. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

I think it's a reasonable request that we show support during the game and vent frustration afterwards if necessary. Personally I'll find it easier now that Gilmour is out.

The players should be thankful that the worst they've got (generally) has been gallows humour. Plenty of other fanbases out there would be in full blown mutiny right now with some of the soulless performances they've put in. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't expect fans to not be upset and angry when we play **** though can he?

I think that’s actually what he’s saying - but save it til after the game, not during it.  I do wonder how people think slagging players off mid-game  can possibly be helpful to them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think that’s actually what he’s saying - but save it til after the game, not during it.  I do wonder how people think slagging players off mid-game  can possibly be helpful to them.

That’s easier said than done when the match is already over way before half-time. Norwich fans are fair and tame compared to many others. 

• Like 4

Well if there are defeats away against the Hammers and then beaten by Everton at home?.....

Maybe the full time whistle will be met by a combined crescendo of.......

"ON THE FALL CITY!"....

Well, maybe by whoever is still left in the stadium after 90+ minutes....

On the contrary Dean.....I think the club, squad, staff and most of all our club hierarchy get off fairly lightly, all things considering.....

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s called passion for your club.

If the team are playing well fans get behind them.

If the team need a bit of encouragement fans rally behind them.

If the team are playing poorly (which they have for a lot of games this season) the fans vent their frustrations.

During the game, things that produce reaction from the fans are what happens on the pitch (good or bad). If a player makes a mistake natural reaction is to be frustrated and vent that frustration, it’s human nature.

Whats the point of waiting until after the final whistle when we have lost again.

Yes the owners and the manager have to take their share of the blame for some of the recent abject performances but it’s the players who are out there on the pitch. 
If they are not good enough to compete in the Premier League then yes some fault lies with whoever signed them but unfortunately for them they are the ones on the pitch, earning a lot of money each week and in the fans eyes not doing anywhere near enough to warrant it.

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Well if there are defeats away against the Hammers and then beaten by Everton at home?.....

Maybe the full time whistle will be met by a combined crescendo of.......

"ON THE FALL CITY!"....

Well, maybe by whoever is still left in the stadium after 90+ minutes....

On the contrary Dean.....I think the club, squad, staff and most of all our club hierarchy get off fairly lightly, all things considering.....

I suspect if we are trounced by westham and then get beaten by a very poor everton side, not only will half the stadium be empty by 85 minutes but those staying will have something to say about it to the board.

And quite right too. 

@pearsos of course fans react to circumstances.  No one is arguing that we shouldn’t be passionate but we’re talking about slagging players off mid-game.  

It’s interesting that one of your comments is  “if the team need a bit of encouragement fans rally behind them.”   There’s not so much evidence of this right now, it feels that if they aren’t playing well from the off they are rounded on.

Edited by Branston Pickle

The Snakepit seldom gets the mood wrong and 'gallows humour' is just a release of frustration.

Norfolk folk tend to laugh in the face of adversity and better that than ripping up seats and throwing missiles onto the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

@pearsos of course fans react to circumstances, but we’re talking about slagging players off mid-game.  

It’s interesting that one of your comments is  “if the team need a bit of encouragement fans rally behind them.”   There’s not so much evidence of this right now, it feels that if they aren’t playing well from the off they are rounded on.

Which is the point Smith is making. He is 100% correct but there's almost no point saying it, some fans love the opportunity to lay into their own players for some reason.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Which is the point Smith is making. He is 100% correct but there's almost no point saying it, some fans love the opportunity to lay into their own players for some reason.

For lots of reasons to be fair this season. They haven’t just started venting frustration for the sake of it. Have a look at that league table. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

For lots of reasons to be fair this season. They haven’t just started venting frustration for the sake of it. Have a look at that league table. 

Of course. It doesn't change the fact its demonstrably unhelpful.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Effort, fight and staying in matches for the full duration will help it cease. It’s plainly not happened often this season. 

Criticising the fans is not a very clever move from a new manager. He's lucky to have a job. The jury is still out on whether we are lucky to have him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Where is it demonstrably unhelpful?!  On Sunday we were doing the sarcastic 'pretending we scored' chant, and then shortly after that Rashica poked one home.

I could argue that it therefore demonstratively helps.

• Haha 2

You know when things are getting bad when those who sit outside and around the Directionless Box and who fawn over our Club Matriarch.....Don't bother bringing in well thumbed copies of her 'How to Cook' books for her to sign......

Dire and sad times.....indeed....

1 hour ago, ridgeman said:

Funny he doesn't mention how Villa have improved since he left.

Have they really? They’ve lost their last 4 games and tbh o don’t think Gerrard has improved them all that much, they looked poor first half against Man U last night. Second half was better but didn’t look like some massive improvement from Smith’s days there tbh, he had them playing great football, it was just this season it went wrong.