Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Can we still stay up?

Probably had a thread like this already, but can SAS guide us to staying up?  If we get the best players fit, can we get some results to give us a bit of hope?   

Byram has been like a breath of fresh air and on recent performances and if fit, should be the first name on the teamsheet.  But then we wouldn't want to leave Aarons out, so maybe as Smith has said, Byram could move into midfield.  Him alongside Normann could give us a very good shield for the defence and allow the creative players to do a bit more.  Giannoulis is far better going forwards than defending so could also play left side of midfield well, in front of Williams instead of Mclean, who has not been at his best imo.  A kind of defence in front of the defence.....with pace in front of them.

Krul

Aarons    Hanley  Omobamidele  Williams

Byram   Normann  Giannoulis

Sargent  Pukki   Rashica

Yes, I know, Sargent - but he is a nuisance to opposition players and he has had some very good games as well as the not so good ones. Placheta has done ok there too, so between them could do a job on that right side. The key is keeping those players fit and then we could stand a chance!

The through ball Rashica played to Sargent v Charlton gave me a little hope that the former might be able to form an understanding with Pukki (akin to Buendia's), while contributing a few goals himself. Having these two fit and firing might give us a very slim chance of staying up.

But it's a general lack of quality all over the pitch, combined with the evidence of the season to date, that suggests we're going to find it incredibly difficult to avoid the drop.

Edited by Fuzzar

110% no. 

If Rashica and Normann hadn't got injured, we'd probably be in a better position. But they did and It's cost us dearly. We're going down, no doubt in my mind, unfortunately. 

I don't like that starting 11 either. Two full backs in centre mid?

• Like 2

We have already played 5 or 6 teams who either had numerous players out or were massively underperforming before we turned up, and we failed to capitalise on each occasion.

Look at Aston Villa last night against a strong Man Utd team. They are sat in the bottom half of this league and honestly I feel they look head and shoulders above us. Seriously, do you really believe we can compete against that type of team? Because to stay up we will need to right now, not in two or three weeks, right now.

I understand your optimism, as I am an eternal optimist and would rather be that than not. However, at some point realigning the expectations is probably the right course.

We would have to start by pulling of a shock tomorrow night then again for another three to four games in the next 6 weeks minimum.

Not going to happen. Our recent history tells us that

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Probably had a thread like this already, but can SAS guide us to staying up?  If we get the best players fit, can we get some results to give us a bit of hope?   

Byram has been like a breath of fresh air and on recent performances and if fit, should be the first name on the teamsheet.  But then we wouldn't want to leave Aarons out, so maybe as Smith has said, Byram could move into midfield.  Him alongside Normann could give us a very good shield for the defence and allow the creative players to do a bit more.  Giannoulis is far better going forwards than defending so could also play left side of midfield well, in front of Williams instead of Mclean, who has not been at his best imo.  A kind of defence in front of the defence.....with pace in front of them.

Krul

Sargent  Pukki   Rashica

Yes, I know, Sargent - but he is a nuisance to opposition players and he has had some very good games as well as the not so good ones. Placheta has done ok there too, so between them could do a job on that right side. The key is keeping those players fit and then we could stand a chance!

Not a hope.  You have to be able to score goals to win matches.

There's about as much chance of dropping a ball bearing out of a jumbo jet at 30,000ft and it landing on an egg sandwich.

No chance, too many things to put right this month and looks as if we have decided not to try and run with what we have. Yes we don’t have money to fill the gaps we so obviously have but any debt from player purchases could be repaid if we actually had a go and stayed up. This month is vital on so many levels for this club.

The only slither of hope I’d give us is if we can return to the kind of performance level we saw when Smith first joined on a consistent basis when our key players return from injury, however with Normann looking likely to be out a while longer and with confidence taking an absolute beating since then, it’s hard to see this happening whatsoever. And even if it did I’d still only give ourselves a slim chance.

I think you could play out the season from here 50 times through and we’d probably get relegated 49 times.

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Krul

Sargent  Pukki   Rashica

This line-up is madness! 

But in answer. Mathematically of course. Unfortunately, we've all see how bereft of confidence our players are and how far we are from being able to compete at a level that won't see us continue in the same trajectory.

Losing Normann and Rashica, has messed us up royally, if we were to lose Pukki at any stage in the 2nd half of the season we might as well wave the white flag. I'd settle for a competitive second half of the season, no more spankings and some games we can take pride in like the Man City game last time around. I want to see a side that is going to be capable of a top 2 finish in the Champs, and we don't have that currently.

No, I have to be honest with myself as a large part of me keeps saying 'this will be the match to turn it around'. Frankly I don't think there is a side worse than us in the league, let alone 3.

It is what it is, Im excited for the summer and hopefully an interesting transfer window... sell Max and Todd and then buy some of the best Champ and League one attacking players and then a side with Omo, McCullum, Mumba etc starting to push in.

Might add, that line up would see probably a down turn in already poor form... I have no idea why we would want Byram and Dimi in the midfield when we already struggle with actual midfielders.. imagine them against West ham, we'd be smashed.

Edited by birchfest

We need a couple of new players at least to make a go of it, and we need Cantwell with his head back in the game too. 

If we'd had a few million to lump on say Dike and O'Brien then perhaps we'd have a chance and if the worst happened, we'd be well equipped to crack on with yet another bounce back season.

Since we don't, and the club seem to be accepting of mediocrity then no, absolutely no chance. Another promotion squandered. They will eventually stop happening and we'll fade into mediocrity like forest did for a generation.

Shame.

It is a odd one the performance have been very average apart from end of the Farke and beginning of Smith.

But if you asked me at the start of the season would you take being 3 points from safety at the half way point of the season given the opening fixtures and the COVID pre season i would have probably taken it.

7 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It is a odd one the performance have been very average apart from end of the Farke and beginning of Smith.

But if you asked me at the start of the season would you take being 3 points from safety at the half way point of the season given the opening fixtures and the COVID pre season i would have probably taken it.

I think most of us would have taken it but we are in a position where we need 2 or 3 signings in January to boost our chances of survival, as usual there is no money so it looks like we're accepting our fate meekly in true Norwich fashion.

Edited by kdncfc
  • Like 1

Can we stay up? - of course we can, there’s half a season to go. That’s more than enough points to play for including games against sides around us.

Will we stay up?  That’s extremely unlikely.  We need a turnaround that feels beyond us - we still have key players out, no money for new players and supporters appear to have turned; those things are not really conducive to us turning it around.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Can we stay up? - of course we can, there’s half a season to go. That’s more than enough points to play for including games against sides around us.

Will we stay up?  That’s extremely unlikely.  We need a turnaround that feels beyond us - we still have key players out, no money for new players and supporters appear to have turned; those things are not really conducive to us turning it around.

Don’t blame the fans, the ones that watch every match home and away must be losing the will to live by now. The players have underperformed, Webber’s had a stinker in the transfer market and the owners only have something to say when the goings good. 

Very, very unlikely.

My slight 2% hope? In the second half of the Charlton game, we twice saw the kind of through-ball that Buendia used to provide. First, the pass to Pukki which led to the goal (I think, amazingly, it was McLean?). Before that, a pass (from Kabak?) that split their defence and went directly to Sargent (you can guess the rest). If we start using tactics that actually play to Pukki's strengths rather than balloon the ball to our not overly tall wingers, and we can start to make those defence-splitting passes from midfield on a more regular basis, I think there's a tiny chance.

Would like to think we are suddenly going to get better and stay up , but the quality is just not there , major blow losing Emi and skipp who have not been replaced by players of the same quality . I very much doubt if we can survive . 

They're saying we wont be bringing in any new players. Should we have poor performences in the next three games, will they then gamble and splash out on some new signings before the window closes? The Watford game is on the 21st so plenty of time.

Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!.....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!.....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....Blame the fans!....

A great new song for the West Ham match. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A great new song for the West Ham match. 

I have a patent and legal copyright on those lyrics, and if anyone ever dare sing it!?..... I'll see them in.....the pub.....

Along Come Norwich has no regrets over Farke mural on pub | Norwich Evening  News

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t blame the fans, the ones that watch every match home and away must be losing the will to live by now. The players have underperformed, Webber’s had a stinker in the transfer market and the owners only have something to say when the goings good. 

I don’t see anyone blaming the fans, I think that is very much putting words in people’s mouths.  

It’s all part of the complex mix, though. If you consider that supporters, and a good upbeat atmosphere, are part of what helps when things are going well, it surely follows that ‘losing’ that element could be an adverse influence.  But it is clearly down to the club/players to turn it around - there can’t really be an expectation of us being upbeat if the players continually underperform.