Sign in to follow this  
canarybubbles

We take Pukki for granted.

Rashica got all the plaudits for changing the game on Sunday, and he deserved them. But Pukki also changed the game and hardly anyone has mentioned the intelligence and self-control that led to the goal - the perfect run off the shoulder, the coolness not just to take an immediate shot, the spotting of Rashica in the centre, the inch-perfect pass. We've seen this mix of intelligence, discipline, and lack of selfishness so often that we don't even think it's anything special.

If he leaves in the summer, God knows what we will do.

• Like 9

He's also wasted in our side, put him in a decent side and there would be no doubt that he's a 15+ goal Premier League striker. Don't tell them.... but he'd be a decent Vardy replacement at Leicester for a couple of years if they wanted somebody they didn't need to change their style of play for. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's also wasted in our side, put him in a decent side and there would be no doubt that he's a 15+ goal Premier League striker. Don't tell them.... but he'd be a decent Vardy replacement at Leicester for a couple of years if they wanted somebody they didn't need to change their style of play for. 

Exactly this. It’s criminal we’re not serving him what he needs. That fkng midfield.

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Rashica got all the plaudits for changing the game on Sunday, and he deserved them. But Pukki also changed the game and hardly anyone has mentioned the intelligence and self-control that led to the goal - the perfect run off the shoulder, the coolness not just to take an immediate shot, the spotting of Rashica in the centre, the inch-perfect pass. We've seen this mix of intelligence, discipline, and lack of selfishness so often that we don't even think it's anything special.

Absolutely. He’s been fantastic throughout his time here and the goal was really well set up. Why would he leave?

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why would he leave?

Does he need another year getting kicked in the Championship to get back to the Premier League as a 33 year old? Can't help but feel he's paid his dues at that level now. Unless he purely wants to purely add more Norwich goals for his legacy... could go and play a season or two in the Europa League, or return to Finland where he's a hero, or go and play in the sum in Turkey.

Why would he stay?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Does he need another year getting kicked in the Championship to get back to the Premier League as a 33 year old? Can't help but feel he's paid his dues at that level now. Unless he purely wants to purely add more Norwich goals for his legacy... could go and play a season or two in the Europa League, or return to Finland where he's a hero, or go and play in the sum in Turkey.

Why would he stay?

I think you’re being overly optimistic here too in terms of instant bounce back. Given the midfield is going to need an entire overhaul, and how we get relegated (if we go down with a whimper), it’s not going to be a one season wonder like before. It’s also entirely dependent on who else comes with us: Watford and Burnley.. you can reserve the auto spots for those two as well as Forest etc looking stronger.

Pukki might just say “fk it, I’ve paid my dues, I want to sit on a bench elsewhere and take double what I’m on now.” Especially as you say, his age is a factor. 

It always annoys me when fans criticise him and claim he's not prem quality.

16 goals in what, 50 prem games  is decent for most strikers out of the top 4 or 5 teans but in this team and the last prem team 16 goals is the equivalent of salah scoring 50 for Liverpool.

I have to say I was a bit shocked when I read that his contract runs out at the end of the season. We should be nailing that down ASAP. I know he’s 33 but I reckon he’s got at least a couple of years in him, he’s clearly looking after himself and his game doesn’t depend just on speed. Look at Wes!

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

His hold up play is amongst the best I have ever seen, he rarely gives the ball away and shields it expertly - and he is quicker than he looks too. The intelligence of his off  ball running is his trademark and it is a shame we have struggled so much this season. The only issue that would stop him being at the very top of the game is that he isn't sometimes as clinical as he ought to be, but you can't argue with his overall goal scoring record and his ability to play as a lone striker.  Totally unselfish too, loves to bring other players into the game - a real team player - one of the best we have had over the years.

With Farke going, it could be that he - and one or two others - may think it is time to try pastures new, I think the club may have underestimated that some of the players only came because of the coach we had and the kind of football that he wanted to play. Farke was the making of Pukki - he was already a very good player, but Daniel brought the best out of him and took him to a new level. It's no coincidence that Pukki has scored 18 of his 33 goals for Finland in the last three years. Norwich - and Farke - have been great for him.

Still only 31, so he has (at least) another good couple of years in him. Whether he stays may depend on how happy he and his family are in Norfolk and we don't really know that, but he could be a star in probably any league in Europe, but as he gets older, he may be better in a front two with someone up front with him who is as intelligent as he is and create havoc. Hopeful he will stay anand as you say, we would really miss him if he goes.  I just hope SAS are the kind of coaches he likes working under, as that will be a big part of what he does next season.

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say I was a bit shocked when I read that his contract runs out at the end of the season. We should be nailing that down ASAP. I know he’s 33 but I reckon he’s got at least a couple of years in him, he’s clearly looking after himself and his game doesn’t depend just on speed. Look at Wes!

He's 31. 32 in March.

29 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

It always annoys me when fans criticise him and claim he's not prem quality.

16 goals in what, 50 prem games  is decent for most strikers out of the top 4 or 5 teans but in this team and the last prem team 16 goals is the equivalent of salah scoring 50 for Liverpool.

Funnily enough last time he played for us in the Prem in that season he scored more goals than half the first team strikers in the Prem and cost us nothing compared to them who cost from 10 to 40 million.

And people still criticised him.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Love Pukki. Comes across as loyal and a man of sound ethics, principles and a model pro whilst being supremely modest. Which is probably why he's still here! 

Pukki has plenty more in the tank. And is still capable of 20 plus goals in the championship, with the right player(s) behind him. He may benefit from international retirement though! He really needs to look at his fitness and weigh up how long he wants his career to last. 

• Like 2

Agree, he is the best player we have had for years, miles ahead of anyone else in our current squad in terms of footballing brain. 

Yes he may need a few chances to score, but if you watch him week in week out, his movement is world class, just the players feeding him are average at best. 

I'm amazed a team like Everton or similar haven't come in for him. 

We are lucky to have him and I think he deserves better than what we have atm. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

His hold up play is amongst the best I have ever seen, he rarely gives the ball away and shields it expertly - and he is quicker than he looks too. The intelligence of his off  ball running is his trademark and it is a shame we have struggled so much this season. The only issue that would stop him being at the very top of the game is that he isn't sometimes as clinical as he ought to be, but you can't argue with his overall goal scoring record and his ability to play as a lone striker.  Totally unselfish too, loves to bring other players into the game - a real team player - one of the best we have had over the years.

With Farke going, it could be that he - and one or two others - may think it is time to try pastures new, I think the club may have underestimated that some of the players only came because of the coach we had and the kind of football that he wanted to play. Farke was the making of Pukki - he was already a very good player, but Daniel brought the best out of him and took him to a new level. It's no coincidence that Pukki has scored 18 of his 33 goals for Finland in the last three years. Norwich - and Farke - have been great for him.

Still only 31, so he has (at least) another good couple of years in him. Whether he stays may depend on how happy he and his family are in Norfolk and we don't really know that, but he could be a star in probably any league in Europe, but as he gets older, he may be better in a front two with someone up front with him who is as intelligent as he is and create havoc. Hopeful he will stay anand as you say, we would really miss him if he goes.  I just hope SAS are the kind of coaches he likes working under, as that will be a big part of what he does next season.

Don't normally agree with you Mr. Windermere, but in this case I do and 100%. Nothing more to add.  

Pukki is our only genuine Premier League class player. It was pretty obvious to me that it was him that brought the slight edge of quality to the game on Sunday, I don't think Rashica did anything special other than being in the right place and (for once) actually hitting the target. It hasn't escaped me that he isn't getting any younger, but I am unsure whether we have another year option on his contract like we do with Cantwell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

100% he's taken for granted. Not just his goals, its everything. His attitude, his work rate, his desire. Could do with the rest of the squad having these traits. 

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Newcastle? 

If Webber sells Cantwell to Newcastle, there'll be a lot of arguments about whether it was the right thing to do to sell a player to a rival for relegation. If he sells Pukki, he'll get lynched. Deservedly.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Funnily enough last time he played for us in the Prem in that season he scored more goals than half the first team strikers in the Prem and cost us nothing compared to them who cost from 10 to 40 million.

And people still criticised him.

Who is criticising him?

I luvs the Pukster....He's a model professional and when he leaves here I for one will be so sad.....

I wonder what he makes of our current predicament?....Deja Vu of two seasons ago?....

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say I was a bit shocked when I read that his contract runs out at the end of the season. 

Does it???!!!

Noooooooo!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

If he sells Pukki, he'll get lynched. Deservedly.

He can sign a pre-contract this month to leave in the summer if he is actually out of contract as claimed above.

I wonder if he has any coaching ambitions 

He seems to be settled in Norfolk - my main hope is that if we offer him a long contract with a chance to move into coaching he may be tempted by the stability

Probably unlikely though

If we lose him next year we're stuffed 

Edited by Chichcan

According to Wolfie's Contract Conundrums thread, the club has a one year option taking him to summer '23.

Surely his contract doesn't expire this year. 

I know people are questioning Webber's competence but there is no way he'd leave us in a position where Pukki could sign with another club now.

I'd also like to think that Pukki is one of the few remaining players who has a bit of respect and loyalty to the club so would be willing to sign a new contract so we could at least get a decent transfer fee for him IF he did want a new challenge (are you listening Mr Cantwell!)

I was reminded of Pukki's qualities last night when I watched some of the Man U v Villa game.  I was watching mainly to see how Emi was getting on especially as I've read things on this forum suggesting Villa fans don't rate him.  I thought he played very well (although he was substituted and occasionally knocked off the ball a bit too easily) and showed some lovely touches and some classic Emi passing - particularly those through balls which Teemu so often took advantage of.  Ings and Watkins are top strikers  but there were a few times when I though Teemu would have taken better advantage by timing the runs better, choosing the best moment to get his shot off etc.  

I'm really hoping that with some of our main players getting fit again that we can start to give Teemu more of those sort of chances.