Sign in to follow this  
Foxy2600

VAR

Not apparently at any other grounds except Premier ones - how can that be rational, fair or significantly for the good of football 

😂

Absolutely ridiculous. Nobody in the stadium knows why it was disallowed. 5 minutes to check a borderline decision is a farce, but there again every possibility to disallow against a ‘big club’ has to be explored I suppose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Not apparently at any other grounds except Premier ones - how can that be rational, fair or significantly for the good of football 

😂

It isn't. Why are the 20 teams in the EPL any more important than the other 72? They are more successful but not more important.

United at home getting the backing and support of VAR? Taking as long as possible in order to grasp at straws to find something to call the goal off in order to help out their beloved United?

Say it 'anit so

1 minute ago, 09021980 said:

Disagree Foggo, IMO Ramsey consciously moved to block Cavani off the ball 

Add to that Ings was offside and he hand balled it.

Cavani was fouled.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Cavani was fouled.

Not so sure about Ings offside as VAR could show that Watkins didn’t get a touch the ball’s rotation didn’t change.  But as we both said Cavani was fouled and VAR ensured the right decisions were made (this time….)

So what about all the corners when defenders, who aren't even looking in the direction of the ball, block off the attackers...... 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

So what about all the corners when defenders, who aren't even looking in the direction of the ball, block off the attackers...... 

Greavsy, no one said the rules were applied consistently but this time they were IMO

Just now, 09021980 said:

Greavsy, no one said the rules were applied consistently but this time they were IMO

Fair point. 

That my bug bear with VAR it's a man watching on a screen, and making a decision, so it's still subjective and down to their interpretation. 

No consistency. 

• Like 1

Offside is likely the only fair and consistent use of VAR. Its not an opinion, its a judgement based on geometry.

Edited by keelansgrandad

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Offside is likely the only fair and consistent use of VAR. Its not an opinion, its a judgement based on geometry.

And even then, not exactly, because it depends when the video was paused and which frame has the ball leaving the player's foot. Between one frame and the next and professional athlete running at full speed can easily advance 15cm.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And even then, not exactly, because it depends when the video was paused and which frame has the ball leaving the player's foot. Between one frame and the next and professional athlete running at full speed can easily advance 15cm.

I must admit I assume they have nailed that down in the calculation.

Looking at it again it was a crap decision that only Man Utd would get.

Agree with Shearer that VAR should not be used for some matches but not others.

42 minutes ago, 09021980 said:

Disagree Foggo, IMO Ramsey consciously moved to block Cavani off the ball 

Disagree, Cavani ran into him, was never getting the ball, Ings not offside and went in off he knee. Joke.

I thought this weekends televised games without VAR were a far more enjoyable watch.

But then I don't enjoy the soap opera VAR brings to the game.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looking at it again it was a crap decision that only Man Utd would get.

Agree with Shearer that VAR should not be used for some matches but not others.

The fact half the matches in the cup have it and the other half don't is a joke. Either have it for all the matches or none.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Disagree, Cavani ran into him, was never getting the ball, Ings not offside and went in off he knee. Joke.

It's football, not American football or rugby. You can't obstruct another player and that's exactly what happened. No idea why the ref didn't give it in real time anyway as it was so blatantly obvious. Shouldn't have even need to go to VAR

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Cavani was fouled.

So if it was as obvious as that why did it take nearly 5 minutes to come to a decision

Personally I'm not fussed if it takes a while as long as the correct decision is arrived at which I think it was. Not ideal for those at the game of course and you'd want it to be a bit quicker but there were three things to check so not surprising it took a while. 

It looked a clear foul to me (not sure we would have got the decision though) and the only complaint my end was why did it take sooooooooooo long for VAR to simply refer it back to the on field ref. That delay caused the angst and I'm suspect if that game was at Villa Park it would have been decided much quicker.

If a decision cannot be made in 30 seconds (I.e. ‘clear and obvious’) the original decision should stand (IMO). Multiple replays and roll-backs to try to find a reason to disallow is ridiculous and as others have said open to subjective interpretation. Does anyone think we’d have got the benefit of such a decision at OT (or Anfield, or Stamford Bridge etc etc)? No chance (again IMO).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Which is why there ought to be a “grey zone“ and a default “no offside” position.

6 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

If a decision cannot be made in 30 seconds (I.e. ‘clear and obvious’) the original decision should stand (IMO). Multiple replays and roll-backs to try to find a reason to disallow is ridiculous and as others have said open to subjective interpretation. Does anyone think we’d have got the benefit of such a decision at OT (or Anfield, or Stamford Bridge etc etc)? No chance (again IMO).

Good point. Maybe there should be a countdown timer on VAR referrals. If it’s not referred to the referee in, say, 60 seconds, the original decision stands. The ref then has two minutes from when he reaches the monitor if it goes to him.