Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Tzolis & Sargent

I make that they have now both had a least 2 howling misses each ao far.

Ten yards or less from the goal, unmarked, pass laid on and the goal at their mercy.

On each of those 4 occassions, not only have they failed to scored but they haven't even hit the target.

But then, it is difficult to do either of those when you can't even make contact with the ball.

Surely for a footballer of even the lowest standard, let alone of supposed PL quality, should be converting chances like these.

01.png.10de9bba43d8bc9b170d21e53fa9cd51.png

I think a loan next season to a decent championship side might do them both good 😉👍

7 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Ten yards or less from the goal, unmarked, pass laid on and the goal at their mercy.

On each of those 4 occassions, not only have they failed to scored but they haven't even hit the target.

But then, it is difficult to do either of those when you can't even make contact with the ball.

Surely for a footballer of even the lowest standard, let alone of supposed PL quality, should be converting chances like these.

Does the defender not knick this? And to be fair to Sargent he did well to pick him out there.

I've been more disappointed with Tzolis than Sargent. Really bought the PR on that one, youtube, the lot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

Does the defender not knick this? And to be fair to Sargent he did well to pick him out there.

I've been more disappointed with Tzolis than Sargent. Really bought the PR on that one, youtube, the lot. 

Farke constantly played the hype in him down and made it very clear that he was a long term project. We signed Rashica to shine at LW, Tzolis is still a youngster. 

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 11:12, Making Plans said:

Rewatch the game he scored 2 goals. Thats Tzolis

What you see now is a player that got no real tangible play time for most of the season. Its unfair to expect from a 19 years old to be in top form like that. Give him a bit of time to settle and get back to form. He needs to play 2-3 complete games in a row, only then we'll have a better idea of what hes capable of.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 16:23, Thumbbass said:

I agree I thought the defender got a touch on it which led to the air shot. If not then was a bobble.

I don't think Tzolis has been given a fair crack at it to be honest - Whereas Sargent has played multiple games, seems to get on the teamsheet or subbed in regardless of form, and has shown zero indication that he's good enough for the Premier League whatsoever. I'd like to see Tzolis loaned out for the rest of the season at this point as I think there's a top quality player in there but he needs to be playing week in week out to fulfil his potential and that's not going to happen with us this season unless he magically starts scoring tonight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tzol Machine said:

What you see now is a player that got no real tangible play time for most of the season. Its unfair to expect from a 19 years old to be in top form like that. Give him a bit of time to settle and get back to form. He needs to play 2-3 complete games in a row, only then we'll have a better idea of what hes capable of.

Dunno. He looks like a total dud to me and Sargent is a better option but agreed it is early days and he hasnt played much. Hope I'm proved wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tzol Machine said:

Like McLean is useless but he still gets game time and doesn't improve. How old is he? Tzolis is young and game time will help him improve 

Rashica needed a fair number of games to reach the level he's at right now, Tzolis has had nowhere near that - give him time.

On 10/01/2022 at 16:12, Making Plans said:

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Rashica needed a fair number of games to reach the level he's at right now, Tzolis has had nowhere near that - give him time.

Yeah absolutely this. Also, Placheta looked way off the pace last season, but is starting to show some real glimpses of quality now. Tzolis is still a teenager who's just traded the Greek league for the PL... writing him off as a dud is just ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah absolutely this. Also, Placheta looked way off the pace last season, but is starting to show some real glimpses of quality now. Tzolis is still a teenager who's just traded the Greek league for the PL... writing him off as a dud is just ridiculous.

Not a write off by any means but I'd hoped we were getting some youthful fearlessness. Unpredictable, unreliable maybe but coupled with, athleticism, passion and glimpses of brilliance at times. I just haven't seen it, any of it... yet. He looks bored, confused and off the pace.

The Placheta comparison is perhaps valid, but I honestly thought that Tzolis had more natural talent than Placheta.

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

So how many disastrous seasons do we have to endure before any of these 'potentials' come good only to get sold off the minute should they ever do so?

We need decent players now and I don't see anyone other than ageing Teemu and soon to leave Max Aarons who properly fit that description.

Just now, Nora's Ghost said:

So how many disastrous seasons do we have to endure before any of these 'potentials' come good only to get sold off the minute should they ever do so?

We need decent players now and I don't see anyone other than ageing Teemu and soon to leave Max Aarons who properly fit that description.

This is a much wider issue, I'm simply discussing Tzolis here. The suitability or otherwise of our transfer acquisitions over the summer have been discussed a million times, and will continue to be... I'm just talking about the specific trajectory of this one player.

3 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Not a write off by any means but I'd hoped we were getting some youthful fearlessness. Unpredictable, unreliable maybe but coupled with, athleticism, passion and glimpses of brilliance at times. I just haven't seen it, any of it... yet. He looks bored, confused and off the pace.

The Placheta comparison is perhaps valid, but I honestly thought that Tzolis had more natural talent than Placheta.

I don't disagree with you based on what I've seen, but how much of that is due to the overall squad/structure, the tactics/formations employed, and the change of manager/coaching staff? In this case, let's see where he's at in 12 months. As I've said above, though, that isn't an attempt to vindicate the size/scope/specifics of our transfer activity last summer.

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

He isn't that kind of player from the impression I get.  He appears to be a sturdy close control type who plays with composure, and as such will take time to find the pace of the game and build into it.

He's not a wild, athletic type who's going to explode.  Buendia went under the radar until we started to see him develop, Tzolis potentially is more in that mould, where one touch finds him clinical space.  If he reaches potential he will not be easily displaced from the ball.

Would love to see him sat behind Pukki in the middle personally.  To play wide at this level you need pace unless there's plenty of overlap in support.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

He isn't that kind of player from the impression I get.  He appears to be a sturdy close control type who plays with composure, and as such will take time to find the pace of the game and build into it.

He's not a wild, athletic type who's going to explode.  Buendia went under the radar until we started to see him develop, Tzolis potentially is more in that mould, where one touch finds him clinical space.  If he reaches potential he will not be easily displaced from the ball.

Would love to see him sat behind Pukki in the middle personally.  To play wide at this level you need pace unless there's plenty of overlap in support.

Yes, I'd like to see him working alongside Pukki in the middle. I have read that he was a wide player in Greece, but he looks totally lost out there on the wing. He's just not getting into games.

Edited by canarybubbles

Unfortunately, although he probably has the attributes, he does not seem to have the necessary awareness for that position.

On 10/01/2022 at 17:15, Indy said:

I think a loan next season to a decent championship side might do them both good 😉👍

A championship side, yes. Not sure we'll be decent, though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

Unfortunately, although he probably has the attributes, he does not seem to have the necessary awareness for that position.

Awareness is something a player can learn and develop. 

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

If only we had something like a soccerbot to improve awareness and reflexes  etc. .

13 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, I agree and I am not writing him off, but I am saying he is lacking it at the moment and it is now that we need it.