Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

What was the best era?

Just reading the thread on what do you want from Norwich. Got me thinking as I saw people had put that money had ruined the game and felt they'd fallen out of love with football.

I kind of have to agree. Football seems cynical and business-like now. I dont like or revere the players in the way that I used to.

So (and Im not talking about Norwich here, Im talking about football in general) when was the era when football was at its best?

Prior to the formation of the Premier League I dont think there was enough money in the game. Stadia were run down, players were pretty one dimensional and not the athletes they are today - but now it's charmless imo.

Our glory days were early 90's probably, but Id probably cite the best period as late 90s early 00's.

Players like Shearer, Fowler, Ferdinand, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Henry, Bergkamp etc at their peak. Afterwards for me the money ruined the competitiveness and although the ability of players and their athleticism and the professionalism and science and all of that improved, football for me somehow lost its charm.

Maybe I just got older, but I dont enjoy football nearly as much as I used to do. When was the era you enjoyed football as a whole the most?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just reading the thread on what do you want from Norwich. Got me thinking as I saw people had put that money had ruined the game and felt they'd fallen out of love with football.

I kind of have to agree. Football seems cynical and business-like now. I dont like or revere the players in the way that I used to.

So (and Im not talking about Norwich here, Im talking about football in general) when was the era when football was at its best?

Prior to the formation of the Premier League I dont think there was enough money in the game. Stadia were run down, players were pretty one dimensional and not the athletes they are today - but now it's charmless imo.

Our glory days were early 90's probably, but Id probably cite the best period as late 90s early 00's.

Players like Shearer, Fowler, Ferdinand, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Henry, Bergkamp etc at their peak. Afterwards for me the money ruined the competitiveness and although the ability of players and their athleticism and the professionalism and science and all of that improved, football for me somehow lost its charm.

Maybe I just got older, but I dont enjoy football nearly as much as I used to do. When was the era you enjoyed football as a whole the most?

90s for me as well, It helps that I was a teenager then too but the league felt much more even and competitive, on their day any top flight team were in with a chance to beat another.  

For me the 70,s and 80,s absolutley loved those years, sadly money men and greed have taken over our game, a game i hardly go to watch now for many other  reasons .

Edited by Dame to Blame
  • Like 2

I only watched Norwich regularly from 1960 to 1974 when I emigrated to NZ and have now ended up in Cornwall. I have seen many games still in the flesh so to speak and of course can now watch them virtually every game in my own home.

I think each era has had tremendous moments and many to make you cry. Some started supporting the club when we were having long spells in the top tier whereas until the early seventies, I never believed we would ever get up there.

So I would have to go for 1971/72 as for me, the greatest season/era because it was the very first time and it felt wonderful.

We will never see another time like the first Mike Walker era. 

Coming close to winning the EPL, European football and great entertainment.  If only…..

• Like 1

77 through to Sky. Although football has always been about money, Sky allowed the big teams to become monsters and to compete you need a fortune. Though I didn’t enjoy the near misses from crowd trouble, especially Leicester and Stoke!

I loved the early 80s got to a few cup finals from Liverpool in the FA cup to milk cup finals. We’ll never get to that level again as the set up is now, until the powers that be decide it’s time to level the playing field by salary caps and fixed squad numbers.

Gave up my season ticket five years ago now and wasn’t enjoying the experience anymore, by only getting to five or six games a season I actually enjoy the match day experience again. 

Edited by Indy

For Norwich it was 87-89 and 92-94 when both sides where exceptional, perhaps the later side shaded it, even Inter Milan said we were one of the best sides to grace their stadium.   

Best era for entertainment was 2007 - 2020.    Watching Messi has been an absolute privilege.  Guardiola's Barca was something very special.   Guardiola's philosophy changed football (all teams play from the back now) - he's responsible for all that), great to watch...  Standard has generally improved at the highest levels.     

Worst time has been since they softened the rules and bought in VAR, games lost all integrity now! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Completely agree that football isn't remotely as enjoyable or indeed interesting as it used to be and the whole culture and identity of football and the clubs has changed (and diminished IMO) - clubs, players and supporters just aren't as closely connected any more. In fact, compared to 'the good old days' 😄 supporters have largely morphed into fans - the two words are often used interchangely but they are definitely not the same.

IMO the rot clearly set in with the formation of the Premier League and Sky's involvement, and has got steadily worse ever since, and now VAR has given the coup de grâce to any lingering idea that there is anything enjoyable or entertaining about watching an EPL game.

In terms of your original question, for me the early nineties was probably best, though the seventies were good times as well but that is obviously Norwich oriented rather than general.

In recent years we have had some fun in the Championship under several managers and most of all under Farke, but I'm afraid since his departure I'm finding I nearly always have something more interesting or important to do on a Saturday than watch a dire EPL game.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I only watched Norwich regularly from 1960 to 1974 when I emigrated to NZ and have now ended up in Cornwall. I have seen many games still in the flesh so to speak and of course can now watch them virtually every game in my own home.

I think each era has had tremendous moments and many to make you cry. Some started supporting the club when we were having long spells in the top tier whereas until the early seventies, I never believed we would ever get up there.

So I would have to go for 1971/72 as for me, the greatest season/era because it was the very first time and it felt wonderful.

Where were you in NZ? I lived in New Plymouth for a while

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Completely agree that football isn't remotely as enjoyable or indeed interesting as it used to be and the whole culture and identity of football and the clubs has changed (and diminished IMO) - clubs, players and supporters just aren't as closely connected any more. In fact, compared to 'the good old days' 😄 supporters have largely morphed into fans - the two words are often used interchangely but they are definitely not the same.

IMO the rot clearly set in with the formation of the Premier League and Sky's involvement, and has got steadily worse ever since, and now VAR has given the coup de grâce to any lingering idea that there is anything enjoyable or entertaining about watching an EPL game.

In terms of your original question, for me the early nineties was probably best, though the seventies were good times as well but that is obviously Norwich oriented rather than general.

In recent years we have had some fun in the Championship under several managers and most of all under Farke, but I'm afraid since his departure I'm finding I nearly always have something more interesting or important to do on a Saturday than watch a dire EPL game.

I wouldnt say Sky ruined it. I think they did make it better for the first decade. Its what happened after that where football lost it's soul for me.

But I was 11 when the Premier League was formed

I think your first years going as a kid will be the most magical. So my first memories of football on the TV was England winning the world cup in 1966. Then going to Carrow Road from 1967. That magic stayed with me through the 70s. Then in the 80s I went to football with my son and shared his magical years. Later with my daughter and shared her magical years. More recently those magical years happened for the grandkids and I can still be part of that.

Not a fan of the football for TV we get now. The FA Cup games this last weekend were a breath of fresh air with the games televised without the soap opera surrounding them. But I guess football for TV is a new generation's magical years.

• Like 1

I've seen 4 good little era's Worthy's promotion and near survival, the Lambert years, promotion and the first half of the next season under Neil and then the Farke era.

I think Lamberts time was my favorite, if we're talking about within the context of what I want from Norwich that time nailed it.The Farke era is very close but the difference was in Lamberts time we played more aggressive football (Not as pretty or refined I will admit) the players had a bit more about them mentally than Farke's lot and best of all we managed to compete well in the PL.

I call it the Lambert era just for the sake of convenience, I put the success of that era down to the owners, the board, the staff, the fans and the players we had just as much as the manager at the time, it felt like everything clicked just right and everyone played their part, which is not to diminish Lambert's achievement but with the benefit of hindsight it was definitely a collaborative success. That for me is when I can confidently say I was most proud to be a Norwich fan. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Don't think I'd like to tie it down to any particular era really, many have been 'special' in their own right.

The mayhem of terraced football in the 70s, the brilliance of the Walker era (although we couldn't defend) and those great nights against Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, Worthy's promotion and the Hucks years, the incredible period under Lambert when we went from League One to the Premier League with almost the same team, and stayed there, beating the Binners in the play off semi and that fantastic Wembley day out under Alex Neil, and of course that bonkers season in 2018/19 under our Daniel.

A bit of misery in between but great times and never a dull moment!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

John Bond time for me, never won much but the football was pretty good 

Got to agree with this.

Certainly never won much - sweet FA actually - but there was a bonkers ' feel good ' to the football. Defence never seemed to bother Bondy as he was more interested in getting the ball up the other end. To me he was such a likeable bloke I could forgive him not bringing back any silverware.

I loved the Del Boy image of some managers of the 70's - all big cars, big cigars and gold bling. The players seemed to have more character too if some of the antics they talk of now are to be believed.

Today it's all very sterilised and nowhere near as much fun.

Mike Walkers first stint, actually in contention to win the Prem, followed by the uefa cup run.

Also loved Lambert's time here, we'd had such dire years leading up to that, I'd almost lost hope. Then along came Lambert and Culverhouse, and of course Grant Holt, two promotions and staying in the premier League was magical times.

• Like 2

I would say 1985 to 95

It was our most successful time, there were some really great English teams,you could tackle,no diving,off side and hand ball were easy to understand The European Cup uefa Cup and Cup winners Cup were about success not money,the FA cup final was still special, Mexico 86 and Italia 90,  Football Italia on chance,and The big match on a Sunday seemed really special.

I think it went downhill once Blackburn won the league, because it made it possible to buy success

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I wouldnt say Sky ruined it. I think they did make it better for the first decade. Its what happened after that where football lost it's soul for me.

I agree, in theory the Sky money could have been used to level the playing field as its spread relatively equally and reduces the financial influence of bigger teams gates and merchandising. Although it obviously caused a divide between the PL and FL which has become a chasm.

I think personally 3 things have ruined modern (English) football.

The formation of the PL. That money could have been spread in a fairer trickle down way to keep the EFL as a whole healthier and competitive.

Clubs becoming PLCs.

Lack of Financial Fair Play. Owners should never have been allowed to invest so heavily in their clubs.

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

This is the same as how I feel. 

6 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So have we all agreed on 'the teenage years'?

Yes, this is definitely a kind of "tell me how old you are without telling me how old you are" thread.

I certainly think the improved fitness and athleticism has been a net negative. Probably my favourite Norwich player of all time is Ian Crook. I have a feeling the modern game would have passed him by, just as Wes (who never quite did it in the modern top flight) would have torn up the Premier League in the 90s. It's not as bad as rugby, which is now pretty much unwatchable in my view, just thirty tanks smashing into each other, but something has definitely been lost by physical prowess being a necessary condition of being a PL player.

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

Prior to 1902. No aeroplanes, VAR or handball.

Harley Davison had just been invented.

NCFC were unbeaten up to 1902. Great era.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

The formation of the PL. That money could have been spread in a fairer trickle down way to keep the EFL as a whole healthier and competitive.

So much this. Hilarious to hear all these people complaining about the Super League ruining competition in the game, ignoring the fact that that ship had sailed in 1992.

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

football for TV

Nailed it in three words. If I can try a ten word version:

Murdoch stole the game and sold it back to us.

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Sounds like we're of a similar vintage GMD.

Late 80s to mid 90s for me, Stringer & Walker, most likely forever coloured by the emotional eyes of youth. Lambert era was very enjoyable and I think we will look back on the Farke era with great fondness in years to come too. 

Perhaps an emotional response to the question depends on your stage in life, but the game at this level (which is where one should aspire to be assumedly) has become hollow & sterile. And I don't believe I say or think this way because we don't seem to be able to compete. The obscene amounts of money awash within the game fairly disgust me. Maybe I'm a cynic and/or overdramatic, but I draw a bit of a parallel with how one might view the spectacular cathedrals & architecture from somewhere like Northern Italy. Yes, they can be marvelled at, praised & admired. But I wonder how many went hungry, suffered or died to enable their construction.

(a bit deep perhaps on that final musing!)

35 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Prior to 1902. No aeroplanes, VAR or handball.

Harley Davison had just been invented.

Elizabethan and Victorian were good too. 

I think that football has changed as I have got older when I was at school and all I had to think about was championship/football manager, playing football, sensible soccer, girls and how well Norwich were doing with Mike Walker in charge, but times change and you can't do that anymore we grow up.

I still love playing football and watching it but I think this question has come about because football is the relief, pastime the escapism from the day to day something you can kind of pour emotion into, and at the moment with how we are playing there is no enjoyment we are depressingly bad and when all pundits, journalists or presenters say we are sh1t  we cannot disagree.

I think part of this is that I got caught up in the rhetoric when Webber said quality over quantity, we have learned from our mistakes and we signed all these new players breaking our transfer records, I thought you know what, let's do this ...I know we won't end up in Europe but we will be competitive we will shock teams and this will be a good season.

This season has been poor and I know it's not over but when you look at the fixtures and think we could get something, I don't feel like that now I think I wonder if we could score a goal, can we get a deflection.

I will always support the team, I just want them to complete, wear the shirt with pride, give everything and if we still loose at least we do it with respect.

• Like 1