Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

It looks like these players have found their level

A hard-fought 1-0 away win at a midtable side suggests we'd maybe be competitive towards the top of League One. Seems about right to me, especially if you compare our Premier League results to the plucky endeavours of some of the lower league clubs in the cup against similar opponents:

• Morecambe gave Spurs a good fight before ultimately succumbing to their quality, very similar to our recent encounter.
  • Shrewsbury's 4-1 loss to Liverpool compares well to our two 3-0 defeats this season.
  • Although at a slightly lower level, both Swindon and Chesterfield managed to score (while not quite conceding as many as us) in their heavy defeats to Man City and Chelsea (respectively) which is more than we can say.

When you look at our 'progress' from last season, it's easy to see how we've gone from being a top Championship club to being closer to League One level. It doesn't bode well for our hopes in the Championship next year. It's pretty unfathomable how we managed to spend so much money on this squad.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

A hard-fought 1-0 away win at a midtable side suggests we'd maybe be competitive towards the top of League One. Seems about right to me, especially if you compare our Premier League results to the plucky endeavours of some of the lower league clubs in the cup against similar opponents:

• Morecambe gave Spurs a good fight before ultimately succumbing to their quality, very similar to our recent encounter.
  • Shrewsbury's 4-1 loss to Liverpool compares well to our two 3-0 defeats this season.
  • Although at a slightly lower level, both Swindon and Chesterfield managed to score (while not quite conceding as many as us) in their heavy defeats to Man City and Chelsea (respectively) which is more than we can say.

When you look at our 'progress' from last season, it's easy to see how we've gone from being a top Championship club to being closer to League One level. It doesn't bode well for our hopes in the Championship next year. It's pretty unfathomable how we managed to spend so much money on this squad.

I’d say it’s more that rotten core of a midfield is our problem. If we can a solid spine we could at least build round that. We don’t, we have mercenaries and Champ level players. When you think about it, we hardly spent any money on PLM, and just loan expenses on Gilmour. 

We needed a CDM (boring boring I know) and didn’t get one. 

The money squandered was on Sargent and Tzolis. Both of which were too inexperienced for this level. I was also thinking the other day that £10 mill for each isn’t that much compared to the going rate these days. I think we think it’s a lot because it’s Norwich. Any other club in the Prem wouldn’t haven’t batted an eyelid wasting that £ on either. 

So where does the one-off game in the FA Cup against a side full of adrenaline at playing someone above them leave Newcastle or Arsenal?

Honestly. This forum.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

So many things not adding up at the moment, I do think some of our players will look good again in the championship, playing with confidence and a winning mentality makes a huge difference. Gibson and Hanley with max and Dimi flanking looked pretty decent going up for example. What doesn’t make sense is how the recruitment was so far off given the targets would have been evaluated by a scouting team (now completely revamped and missing key personnel) which was much lauded by envious eyes across football. I always wanted a different approach of quality rather than quantity but didn’t think we had made transfer window that would see the following results to be fair.

I get that people are fed up, but this was the 3rd Round of the FA Cup, anything can happen, just ask Newcastle, Reading, Arsenal, Burnley, Blackpool, and AFC Wimbledon. For the record I am one of those that is fed up, but this post is just nonsense.........

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

When you look at our 'progress' from last season, it's easy to see how we've gone from being a top Championship club to being closer to League One level. It doesn't bode well for our hopes in the Championship next year.

My only hope for the Championship next year is that we are good enough to not get relegated from it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I’d say it’s more that rotten core of a midfield is our problem. If we can a solid spine we could at least build round that. We don’t, we have mercenaries and Champ level players. When you think about it, we hardly spent any money on PLM, and just loan expenses on Gilmour. 

We needed a CDM (boring boring I know) and didn’t get one. 

The money squandered was on Sargent and Tzolis. Both of which were too inexperienced for this level. I was also thinking the other day that £10 mill for each isn’t that much compared to the going rate these days. I think we think it’s a lot because it’s Norwich. Any other club in the Prem wouldn’t haven’t batted an eyelid wasting that £ on either. 

The midfield is obviously the issue, we have the same defence and attack as last season. But I think you're being generous with 'Championship level', and you're being generous to Rashica. I know he scored, but he really doesn't look look more than a middling Championship player to me.

Sargent, PLM and Tzolis looked below par against League One opposition. Rashica looked average. That's our £30m+ of signings, 3 of the club's biggest ever fees paid. None of those would have been in our first team last season.

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The midfield is obviously the issue, we have the same defence and attack as last season. But I think you're being generous with 'Championship level', and you're being generous to Rashica. I know he scored, but he really doesn't look look more than a middling Championship player to me.

Sargent, PLM and Tzolis looked below par against League One opposition. Rashica looked average. That's our £30m+ of signings, 3 of the club's biggest ever fees paid. None of those would have been in our first team last season.

Completely disagree with you on Rashica. In the 2 or 3 games prior to his injury he was really starting to find his feet and in those games and (although he obviousy wasn;t fully fit) the last 20 minutes yesterday I think he's looked a class act. He would tear most championship defences apart and i'm pretty confident will form a good partnership with Pukki given time. 

What a laugh this thread is, Norwich have found their level after struggling to WIN against League 1 opposition in the 3rd Round of the  FA Cup, a one/off game where anything can happen, but no mention of any of the other teams that LOST to teams in leagues below them finding their level. Some people just want any excuse to bash the club over the head with a stick and I say that as somebody who is equally disillusioned with all thing Norwich City at the moment.............

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Completely disagree with you on Rashica. In the 2 or 3 games prior to his injury he was really starting to find his feet and in those games and (although he obviousy wasn;t fully fit) the last 20 minutes yesterday I think he's looked a class act. He would tear most championship defences apart and i'm pretty confident will form a good partnership with Pukki given time. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. He didn't tear a midtable League One defence apart so I think you're being a tad optimistic about the Championship. Feel free to resurrect this thread if he proves me wrong. Remember that he's basically a club record signing for our Premier League campaign.

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

What a laugh this thread is, Norwich have found their level after struggling to WIN against League 1 opposition in the 3rd Round of the  FA Cup, a one/off game where anything can happen, but no mention of any of the other teams that LOST to teams in leagues below them finding their level. Some people just want any excuse to bash the club over the head with a stick and I say that as somebody who is equally disillusioned with all thing Norwich City at the moment.............

It's not about bashing the club - they won't be reading this. It's more about wallowing in the misery of the current situation so that, if the situation ever improves, I can properly enjoy it again. It's the rubbish times like this which make the good times actually feel good. Forgive me for being underwhelmed by scraping past lowly Charlton in unconvincing fashion.

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. He didn't tear a midtable League One defence apart so I think you're being a tad optimistic about the Championship. Feel free to resurrect this thread if he proves me wrong. Remember that he's basically a club record signing for our Premier League campaign.

It's not about bashing the club - they won't be reading this. It's more about wallowing in the misery of the current situation so that, if the situation ever improves, I can properly enjoy it again. It's the rubbish times like this which make the good times actually feel good. Forgive me for being underwhelmed by scraping past lowly Charlton in unconvincing fashion.

Now that makes more sense to me, I was kind of underwhelmed but also equally relieved we did not do a Newcastle and lose at home to lowly Cambridge (two points lower than Charlton 😀). Many moons ago, whilst enjoying a pre match pint I once exclaimed "Oh ****, I have remembered my season ticket" (Hamilton the Blarneymeister was the manager at the time).......

• Like 1