Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

Classic and cringeworthy commentary

Did anyone else pick up on Jonathan Pearce's little commentary gem on Saturday MOTD. On the lines of ' The teams have dedicated the score to the late great Bishop Desmond - its 2 - 2'

Has anyone got recollections of similar gems over the years? 

I like Murray Walker - The lead car is absolutely unique apart from the second car which is identical

Someone once said Morgan Freeman would be the ideal choice to provide the commentary for life. I disagree, I'd want Murray Walker and Peter Alliss on mine.

As for commentary, Ted Lowe's "For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green" is a favourite.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Look what I found from Murray. 🙂

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

And NO commentary thread should go without the grandfather of splendidly excited commentary after underdog wins, namely Bjørge Lillelien.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the name might not mean much. So here's the video. The most famous stuff is from 2:49 onwards.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

And NO commentary thread should go without the grandfather of splendidly excited commentary after underdog wins, namely Bjørge Lillelien.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the name might not mean much. So here's the video. The most famous stuff is from 2:49 onwards.

I absolutely love that. The most over the top but brilliant reporting. 

• Like 1

I have been asked to put this up by request. By the whole population of Wales.

The week where England managed two Brexits. And Gudmundur Benediktsson came up with the absolutely epic line "you can go home, you can leave Europe, you can go wherever you want!" 😄 

And he pissed off Martin Keown in the process!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did love the Peter Allis one while chatting about Countdown while there was a lull in the Golf. (Yes, I know some think its a continuous lull).

While chatting about it, and I can't remember if it was talking about Vordermann or Rachel Riley but he said "I got aroused". Ken Brown giggled and seemed embarrassed but up pipes Peter. "Yes, Seven letters. Aroused". Classic.

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I did love the Peter Allis one while chatting about Countdown while there was a lull in the Golf. (Yes, I know some think its a continuous lull).

While chatting about it, and I can't remember if it was talking about Vordermann or Rachel Riley but he said "I got aroused". Ken Brown giggled and seemed embarrassed but up pipes Peter. "Yes, Seven letters. Aroused". Classic.

Superb

19 hours ago, MooreMarriot said:

Rugby league commentator calls referee a bottleless git and more.

This was the Castleford Tigers own match day commentator I actually recall here, do miss the days of commentaries like this, reminds me of when Football League Extra on ITV used to use in-house club commentators for the audio track, as opposed to neutrals.

This however is really the next level up, one of the best commentaries ever.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Haha 1