Today we saw what so many posters on here have been yearning for for so long. Sorenson playing a full 90 minutes as a defensive midfielder.

How do you feel it went?

Personally I feel I can understand why Daniel Farke and, until today, Dean Smith have played him in defence but not in midfield.

I have seen him play well at left back and in the centre of defence, but today I was not impressed.

Do you still feel he should be in midfield?

Just now, Yellow Wal said:

Today we saw what so many posters on here have been yearning for for so long. Sorenson playing a full 90 minutes as a defensive midfielder.

How do you feel it went?

Personally I feel I can understand why Daniel Farke and, until today, Dean Smith have played him in defence but not in midfield.

I have seen him play well at left back and in the centre of defence, but today I was not impressed.

Do you still feel he should be in midfield?

I thought the whole midfield were awful tbh. 

OTBC

8 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I thought the whole midfield were awful tbh. 

OTBC

Yes they were. 

Sorensen needs a few games to sharpen up in midfield and then we will see what he can do 

He was the worst in a very poor midfield.

Where McLean and PLM slightly improved in the second half, he didn't.

His awareness in midfield was poor, let players run by him with ease, when he did try and stop the opposition he was easily outmuscled and offered nothing with his passing either.

Just now, NFN FC said:

Yes they were. 

Sorensen needs a few games to sharpen up in midfield and then we will see what he can do 

I agree with this. He wasn't great today but he wasn't awful, and he deserves a few games to see if he's up to the job. God knows, the rest of this miserable midfield have been given ample opportunities to prove themselves. 

He isn't good enough. 

The level of delusion in some on this forum, in suggesting he will suddenly become a premier league, or even championship level defensive midfielder, is utterly incredible. 

Some of you need to just give up watching football if you see him as good. 

Edited by fredherring

Just now, canarybubbles said:

I agree with this. He wasn't great today but he wasn't awful, and he deserves a few games to see if he's up to the job. God knows, the rest of this miserable midfield have been given ample opportunities to prove themselves. 

Yep exactly. Kenny gets infinite games to prove himself 

He was up against a League One midfield today and I thought he really struggled.

I was anticipating a more commanding performance with him spraying passes around and feeding our wider players and the odd through ball to Pukki.

I saw none of that and I can now see why Farke and Smith don't really rate him. I wouldn't expect him to start against West Ham.

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

He needs a run of games before being properly judged. 

The first team is so disjointed right now, anyone coming in will struggle. Zero cohesion, structure or consistency. Too many injuries and different personal.

Exactly this.

Even Messi would look disjointed in this team. It was one of Sörensen's weakest games that I recall, but he's played too many games well out of position to write him off.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He was up against a League One midfield today and I thought he really struggled.

I was anticipating a more commanding performance with him spraying passes around and feeding our wider players and the odd through ball to Pukki.

I saw none of that and I can now see why Farke and Smith don't really rate him. I wouldn't expect him to start against West Ham.

His role wasn't to spray passes around; it was to provide the solidity that enabled other midfielders ahead of him to do the creative stuff. We all praised Skipp, but I don't remember him spraying many passes either.

Did Sorensen provide that solidity? Probably not. But he has had 90 minutes in the role; give him a break.

• Like 1

I think right back might be his best position. Looked a decent left back last year surely swapping over to the right would suit him best.

He’s a very average champ standard player - was totally anonymous today- I barely noticed him. The whole midfield is key to our problems in truth- the engine room is poor 

He wasn’t great, but the two in front of him (who play a lot more regular in midfield) didn’t cover themselves in glory (as per)

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

His role wasn't to spray passes around; it was to provide the solidity that enabled other midfielders ahead of him to do the creative stuff. We all praised Skipp, but I don't remember him spraying many passes either.

Did Sorensen provide that solidity? Probably not. But he has had 90 minutes in the role; give him a break.

Let's see if Smith agrees with you.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

He was the worst in a very poor midfield.

Where McLean and PLM slightly improved in the second half, he didn't.

His awareness in midfield was poor, let players run by him with ease, when he did try and stop the opposition he was easily outmuscled and offered nothing with his passing either.

Hoggy, I beg to disagree.  He did what was needed in midfield for a DM.  Took a card for the team for example and at the end of the day we didn't concede and they really were restricted to a few chances. 

Kenny and PLM were supposed to be the ones taking the ball forward and creating but did sod all really and their efforts on goal, do me a favour.   

Didn't see the game but.......

Be fair to the lad, we signed him as a CDM and in the past 3 years he's played one full 90 minutes in that position.    He's played about 20 odd competitive matches all in different positions to CDM.    Be a miracle if he was at the level from the off.    He needs games just like Idah, unfortunately the pair of them have been unlucky understudies whilst others got opportunities to go on loan and gain proper experience.

All of a sudden in our desperation they get opportunities when the whole team is dysfunctional, hardly reasonable to expect much.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

Some people have so little understanding of the tactical nuances of football it's laughable. Sorensen performed the role asked of him well today and had far better positional discipline than we usually see from Gilmour. He was frequently outnumbered in midfield because Kenny and PLM were all over the place.

It was more of the same from this flawed 4-3-3 I've been complaining about all season. We need two, central CDMs but we only play with one and get overloaded. The wide midfielders don't support the fullbacks enough and the CMs get dragged wide leaving acres of space.

Sorensen largely worked diligently off the ball and at least made an effort to cut off the passing angles. He may not have been great on the ball, but certainly no worse than our other midfielders. He's basically the opposite of Gilmour, in a good way.

If I hadn’t seen the teamsheet pre-match, I wouldn’t have noticed he was playing until he made a foul in the 83rd minute. Completely anonymous. He wasn’t the only one. 

Sadly I feel that no combination of our midfielders are of sufficient quality & consistency to compete regularly at Prem level and is the primary reason we will surely be heading straight back to the Champo again. We look like a Champo team playing in the Prem. Which is what we are I suppose. We ain't got the money to fish in the necessary pond. 2 wins at the halfway point does not survival make. We're already 3 wins behind Leeds & Everton, and at this point lack cohesion all over the park. How are we not adrift already? Smith & Shakey will have to move mountains to start racking up a few wins. Possible, but looking extremely unlikely. 

31 minutes ago, Yellow Shirt said:

I actually thought he was the best of the three, but the bar was very low. I liked how he dropped in to CB when Kabak went forward.

Exactly this. He did ok. Strange how people picked him out when PLM was so much worse and Kenny was his usual self.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Yep exactly. Kenny gets infinite games to prove himself 

Kenny is a good player to reference when recruiting new midfielders.

He is a really good Championship midfielder, who is useful to have in the squad in the Premier League. He is an all rounder but isn't going to boss a PL game. Any new signing should be a significant improvement. 

PLM is similar to McLean in the sense that he's a decent player but he just doesn't have enough quality/strength/pace. We were all excited about Gilmour but he doesn't look suited to a relegation dogfight although interestingly, I think a decent CDM could transform our midfield into a cohesive unit... Normann, Big Unit and Gilmour looks better, on paper.

10 hours ago, fredherring said:

He isn't good enough. 

The level of delusion in some on this forum, in suggesting he will suddenly become a premier league, or even championship level defensive midfielder, is utterly incredible. 

Some of you need to just give up watching football if you see him as good. 

Not pulling any punches there mate, did someone get out of bed on the wrong side? 

10 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Yes they were. 

But sadly these games should have come in pre season... Cannot be allowing him a few games now to sharpen his craft. 

2 hours ago, Basel_NCFC said:

But sadly these games should have come in pre season... Cannot be allowing him a few games now to sharpen his craft. 

Should have come last season when we should have honed our own talent instead, Skipp was here hiding the CDM problem!     

I thought he was poor too. I actually thought Kenny was the better of a bad bunch in the first half until the game-savers came on. 

We seem to be very quick to find potential saviours as much as we are to find scapegoats. Gilmour being the latest example of both ends of the realm. The whole stadium roaring him on in applause against Southampton in November, then singing "Fck off" to him 5 weeks later in December.

…or maybe most moany ol’ fickle b’stards. 👀

• Like 1