Making Plans

Sargent, Dowel, Lees-Melou, Idah, McLean, Tzolis, Kabak etc

8 minutes ago, essex canary said:

There is a radical difference between the Greek league and say the Spanish league.

How are Brentford getting on with said "data driven model"?

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Idah has gone from being labelled the new Ibrahimovic by Mourinho to a player who doesnt look like he could score against anyone.

Did he really?! He must have overdosed on some strong hallucinogenics😍 to say that...

Actually the sort-of new Ibra was (and now is) Isak, who was made available by Borussia Dortmund a few years back for a few million, having not settled there for some reason. Now he would cost quite a few more million.

13 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Certainly can’t say I’d miss many of them if they went…

The only new player Id be disappointed about not having next season is Normann. I said after a few games that Normann was our best player and that our season depended on him. And I havent changed my mind

On 09/01/2022 at 11:27, Making Plans said:

How on earth did they all end up here, at the same time, as Premier League players?

Barely a hint of footballing ability between them.

What did we see in them, before we bought or borrowed them, and what was the compelling reason for bringing them here other than that they were available.

So far they have offered absolutely nothing and they don't look like changing that anytime soon, if ever.

I would get Idah off the team asap, he doesn't fit here

On 09/01/2022 at 17:03, Creative Midfielder said:

It becomes even clearer with every game that Daniel Farke was never the problem, and frankly I find it incredible that anyone, whether fan or board member, ever thought he was!

Nor for that matter is it Delia's fault, one person alone is responsible and that is the person that oversaw a £60m spend on players this summer.

Farke was A problem becuase he couldn't sort the defence. Despite some recent results, we are generally defending a bit better under Smith.

Delia is A problem because ultimately the constraints imposed by her ownership give us zero margin for error in the transfer market or with a managerial appointment and also prevent us from running a competitive premier league wage bill.

But yes Webber has completely and utterly screwed up the recruitment and its particularly strange because he, himself, told us what they had learnt and what we needed (i.e. more athletic players) before assembling the most weak and powderpuff midfield ever seen in the premier league. 

Ah yes another grumpy tantrum of a thread. Poor baby, the relegation battle that we knew we were going to be in isn't going very well.

Every signing at this level will carry an element of risk with it. We are paying 8 million in a league where teams regularly pay double that and much bigger wages (which isn't mentioned enough).

Collectively, the first team has struggled in the most difficult league in the world. Most of the signings made sense on paper at the start of the campaign. The levels of hindsight used in these posts are outstanding. 

The targeting of Dowell and Idah in this thread is even odder. Dowell was on fire at the end of the season. He contributed almost as much as Cantwell but in fewer games. Dowell isn't going to blow this league away, but he was bought for 2 million to be a good Championship player and help get us out of the Championship, which he did. Idah is an academy prospect who has mostly been used as a sub and has contributed from the bench. I again think his level is the Championship but thats just the way it is. We got a Championship level forward for nothing.

In hindsight, the money spent could have been used better. But in a parallel universe, we draw the Leicester game, win the Brighton game, Sargent takes that chance, and gets off the mark, Farke gets more comfortable with his team selections, players are more energised and we kick on. The margins at times have been minimal.

Thread after thread after thread of this self-flagellation is beyond boring.

On 09/01/2022 at 16:27, Making Plans said:

How on earth did they all end up here, at the same time, as Premier League players?

Barely a hint of footballing ability between them.

What did we see in them, before we bought or borrowed them, and what was the compelling reason for bringing them here other than that they were available.

So far they have offered absolutely nothing and they don't look like changing that anytime soon, if ever.

Bit harsh on Tzolis really, he is still younger than Todd Cantwell was when he made his league debut for Norwich. He might look 30 but he's not... he's 19. 

Could have gone to some club that likes to buy up 50 youngsters and loan them out every season until they are 25, like Chelsea, but instead has come somewhere to try and force his way into the side.

It was probably a silly decision to spend such a large chunk of money on a player who is clearly not ready for this level, but that is on Webber not on Tzolis

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Failure to adequately replace Emi, failure to replace Skipp, and failure to bring in a suitable Pukki backup/competition will relegate us, we've allocated funds poorly.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I still think the only really fault is in central midfield.  We do not win tackles so concede too many chances, and when we have the ball we can't transition ourselves forward.  In that situation everyone else looks terrible, attackers snatch at chances and defenders simply boot the ball away.  A couple of seasoned experienced central midfielders would shore us up, then at least it becomes a competitive game.

The attackers are pointless assessing until they are in a competitive team, not saying any of the previous comments are wrong, just having played in good sides and terrible sides the same players can look transformed.  In fact you often need a different sort of player in a dog fight.

Edited by Newtopia