Capt. Pants

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Charlton ****

26 minutes ago, Big O said:

As little as 3 years ago we had a team that just attacked and looked like scoring from anywhere. It was packed with players comfortable on the ball in midfield and an ability to pick a pass, atheletes at full back. I get that the team got found out for it’s naivety at the top level but how the hell have we ended up here??? So very poor. If we don’t sign a midfielder, and some how miraculously get Todd, Normann, Rashica and Pukki playing out of their skins then we are done for.

Who is this ‘Todd’ you speak of?

• Thanks 1

Done for

Thats pretty obvious 

The question is where does the problem start  and end.

Management, Players, Recruitment etc

1 minute ago, daly said:

Done for

Thats pretty obvious 

The question is where does the problem start  and end.

Management, Players, Recruitment etc

All of the above. Add to that lack of external investment.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Tbf if this goes to penalties some of our attempts on goal could be pretty hilarious.

Would Sargent?

a) fall over during the run-up

b) trip over the ball

c) make contact with the ball but it run out of steam halfway to the goal-line

d) make contact with the ball but put it out for a throw-in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think that's the first time we've won in London since Elliott Bennett scored against Tottenham

And what a belter it was!...

8 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Would Sargent?

a) fall over during the run-up

b) trip over the ball

c) make contact with the ball but it run out of steam halfway to the goal-line

d) make contact with the ball but put it out for a throw-in

You forgot e) all of the above

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Why embarrassed? When other teams play worse than us but beat us they deserve it? Even if it is their one moment of quality. We're then called embarrassing. Now we're embarrassing if we win?!! 

Because we were playing a team mid-table in League One.

Play yet win like that against Man City I wouldnt be complaining.

Charlton were better than us. Genuinely. They played an average game yet were still better than us in all departments. And we werent having an off day, we've been like that all season

38 minutes ago, Declan said:

Sadly the FA Cup final is during the season…two games left after it’s played. Be nice to win the cup then the last two games to stay up though!

Middlesbrough and Juninho once had the same dream

2 hours ago, Bovril said:

I think that game summed up everything we already knew. 

We have a few players that can give it a great shot in the Premier League; Pukki, Rashica, Krul, Normann, Aarons, Hanley (borderline).

The rest are not even Championship standard. 

Summed up perfectly

17 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Because we were playing a team mid-table in League One.

Play yet win like that against Man City I wouldnt be complaining.

Charlton were better than us. Genuinely. They played an average game yet were still better than us in all departments. And we werent having an off day, we've been like that all season

No we haven't.

Sorry, but I utterly despise this narrative because it is utter rubbish. You want to hate on the club? Fine. But don't lie to try and con others into thinking the same way. It isn't right and it isn't correct, at all. 

41 minutes ago, chicken said:

No we haven't.

Sorry, but I utterly despise this narrative because it is utter rubbish. You want to hate on the club? Fine. But don't lie to try and con others into thinking the same way. It isn't right and it isn't correct, at all. 

So we haven't been playing badly this season then?

Under DF we had a style. Pass and move, build from the back. Unfortunately he didn't have the personnel to fulfill that style in the EPL. And he didn't have an alternative to try and change things.

But what style have we got under Deano? How would you describe our tactics or style during yesterday's game? It certainly wasn't pass and move. It wasn't particularly possession based. It wasn't wingers putting in cross after cross. What was it? Just ago out and do what you can?

Sorenson looked lost in the role he was given. It wasn't based on the CBs giving him the ball and midfield players moving into spaces to receive passes and build up the field.

Lees Melou looks totally lost with British football let alone the EPL.

McLean did his best but we know he cannot produce his best for more than two out of ten games.

Did Tzolis actually touch the ball?

Less said about Sargent the better.

And the dispirited Teemu looked more at home fouling than anything else.

Only when Williams and Rashica came on did we have a partnership that looked to get forward on the front foot.

Why do we have to copy everyone else? Its the way to play nowadays etc. is the clarion call.

Well I remember a Norwich team that introduced a style that no-one else played and that was the Stringer/Walker teams that included a sweeper and deep lying central striker. A bit of the old Magyar style in a way. Don't let the opposition settle because you play the familiar way.

And why do we leave the team announcement until an hour before KO? They all know how we will be playing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Under DF we had a style. Pass and move, build from the back. Unfortunately he didn't have the personnel to fulfill that style in the EPL. And he didn't have an alternative to try and change things.

But what style have we got under Deano? How would you describe our tactics or style during yesterday's game? It certainly wasn't pass and move. It wasn't particularly possession based. It wasn't wingers putting in cross after cross. What was it? Just ago out and do what you can?

Sorenson looked lost in the role he was given. It wasn't based on the CBs giving him the ball and midfield players moving into spaces to receive passes and build up the field.

Lees Melou looks totally lost with British football let alone the EPL.

McLean did his best but we know he cannot produce his best for more than two out of ten games.

Did Tzolis actually touch the ball?

Less said about Sargent the better.

And the dispirited Teemu looked more at home fouling than anything else.

Only when Williams and Rashica came on did we have a partnership that looked to get forward on the front foot.

Why do we have to copy everyone else? Its the way to play nowadays etc. is the clarion call.

Well I remember a Norwich team that introduced a style that no-one else played and that was the Stringer/Walker teams that included a sweeper and deep lying central striker. A bit of the old Magyar style in a way. Don't let the opposition settle because you play the familiar way.

And why do we leave the team announcement until an hour before KO? They all know how we will be playing.

If Farke didn’t have the personnel to play his style in the EPL and didn’t have the players to build an alternative, then why are we expecting Smith to be able to evolve one from the same set of players? 

I actually do think Smith has done a better job with the group he has than Farke did at the start of the season. The games before injuries/Covid hit we were starting to see better play, a more settled side, and although it wasn’t there yet, the higher press seemed to be the way he wanted to play.

The period now where everyone is injured has been a mess but I do think that once everyone is back, we’ll see better play and a style evolving. For now it’s been make do and mend with whoever has been available to play.