Danke bitte

What is it that you want from Norwich?

On 08/01/2022 at 13:39, Petriix said:

To be honest, I think I like our Championship teams and I don't like our Premier League teams. I detest the business of signing players for the top flight with the inflated fees, wages, egos etc.

Every time we go up, we make a bunch of signings which always seem to backfire. I want to see us develop players in the Championship and retain them rather than selling them all and stop blowing stupid money on rubbish players.

Looking back, we've signed so much dross. I loved it when we went up under Lambert and basically kept the same squad, same under Farke. I don't mind losing, as long as we haven't spent tens of millions on that bunch of losers.

I feel no affinity with any of our recent signings and Dean Smith leaves me cold. I want Norwich to be the club who does things differently. Rather than aspiring to be Everton, I'd much rather keep yo-yoing but retain our identity. 

It's all a bit late now though, we've blown the money, lost the soul of the club and I fear we are at the start of a long decline.

I am inclined to agree. And above all I feel that the Farke sacking basically ripped up 4 years of improvement of the club in so many facets in the vain hope that someone, anyone, else might keep us up.

However bad things were at times under Farke, I still felt that we were a team who knew our identity and how we would go about trying to score goals. 

That is completely gone now. I can foresee a really rough year ahead because this squad is not prepared for another tilt at the Championship. And when our league position is back where it was 5 years ago, that's when things really will turn ugly. And then, with toxic fans at Carrow Road, we won't be able to come back up.

And really, this is what disappoints me most about Webber this season. Not the failings in recruitment. But moving away from an ethos that defined the club. Webber came in and said he wanted the club to play a certain style of attractive football. Where is that ethos now?

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 10:40, cambridgeshire canary said:

To enjoy watching my team play. To feel pride watching them play.

It's been a long time

So you didn't feel any pride last season when we stormed the Championship?

I want us to not get relegated. If that means we finish 17th every season so be it. Look at Everton. They seem to have cyclical fortunes, sometimes flirting with Europe, sometimes fighting a relegation battle - but they've never actually been relegated. I want that.

As a club I want us to do whatever it takes to not be relegated each season. And hopefully some seasons will be more successful than others. While we'll probably never get European football, the possibility would be what we would strive for one glorious season. We're a terrible cup team so its unlikely to happen via a cup, but the dream of a Europa League finish would be the absolute ceiling of our capability, probably never achieved.

At the moment being a team that can realistically stave off relegation is a million miles away. The only way we can ever be the imaginary club I've just portrayed is with the resources to compete. Which we dont have.

I think we've reached our ceiling. And being this sh*t in the PL isnt much fun. To move forward we need new ownership or we are condemned to having seasons like this as the ceiling, and to be honest it's not much to strive for.

My wife said to me the other day, 'Wouldnt it be funny if Norwich got promoted again and the Premier League said 'Nah!'

That got me wondering, how would I feel if we were so terrible in the PL year after year, the PL made us an offer 'Look - congratulations on winning the league, but please dont come up and stink the place out again. We'll pay you, you can still have the money - just stay where you are.' - Would I be happy with that? Probably yes!

On 08/01/2022 at 11:57, PurpleCanary said:

Eight months counts as a long time? In terms of memory that is verging on goldfish territory.

I thought most of us were fairly pleased with the performance after the Man U game (even if we were fuming at Ronaldo).

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I want us to not get relegated. If that means we finish 17th every season so be it. Look at Everton. They seem to have cyclical fortunes, sometimes flirting with Europe, sometimes fighting a relegation battle - but they've never actually been relegated. I want that.

You don't know any Everton fans personally, do you?

• Like 1

“we can’t compete in the Premier League”

“we are like a small kid whos dad holds him at arms length whilst we swing punches without hitting.”

“other teams and fans laugh at us, and that’s embarrassing”

“we've blown the money, lost the soul of the club and I fear we are at the start of a long decline”

“Relegation is 95% nailed on”

“We've been found out on all levels”

“At the moment the team is miles of being competitive”

“we could very easily be 2 leagues lower in 4 years time”

“We will end up the championship”

“And when our league position is back where it was 5 years ago”

Edit: before anyone points it out, I agree our goal difference effectively makes it four points.

Edited by Nuff Said

23 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

You don't know any Everton fans personally, do you?

Not anymore. But as one of the 6 teams to have never been relegated from the top flight they should think themselves lucky!

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“we are like a small kid whos dad holds him at arms length whilst we swing punches without hitting.”

“we've blown the money, lost the soul of the club and I fear we are at the start of a long decline”

756654D0-B056-45D5-8EFF-E071DFABFF27.jpeg

Edit: before anyone points it out, I agree our goal difference effectively makes it four points.

Newcastle are going to buy their way out of trouble this window - I dont see them as being a relegation rival for the remainder of this season. Our GD compared to Watford and Burnley shows how far off the pace we are. We may only be 4 points effectively from safety, but that is 40% of our total points achievement so far this season. And we arent showing any signs of getting better. We didnt score in the whole of December. Without the kind of major surgery Newcastle are likely to perform, to expect a sudden change in our performance levels out of nowhere is optimistic to say the least.

Mathematically of course we're not relegated. But we have to have a reason to think the second half of our season will be radically different from the first. 

We've played everyone now - no blaming the fixture list anymore. We are where we deserve to be.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

What I want varies on if I'm talking about a utopian daydream or something I think is realistic.

In a utopian world I want football finances to implode and new, fairer and more competitive League structure to emerge, with salary caps and discussions about ownership and money largely limited to the background, where how we succeed or fail is down to how the team is coached and assembled rather than how much money we can pay relative to others. 

In the real world, what I want is for the team to give me joy, excitement and memories. I'd love to see us lift a cup (League or FA, I'm not picky). I'd love the chance to go and see my team in Europe in my lifetime- I don't care if its Legia Warsaw in the Europa, it would be amazing. The problem is it is now hugely difficult to get that excited about the prospect of winning the Championship again. 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The league table is what it is. A 3 point gap isn't a problem albeit there are games in hand to be concerned with too.

But it's the reality of the level of our performance. Teams with -34 goal difference after 19 games don't stay up. Teams with 8 goals in 19 games don't stay up. Added to that Newcastle are signing England players and are bound to sign much more quality, whereas we are going to do precious little.

The league table and the points on offer aren't why many of us already accept we are down. It's the performances, the clear lack of quality in the squad. The loss of our footballing ethos and identity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Newcastle are going to buy their way out of trouble this window - I dont see them as being a relegation rival for the remainder of this season. Our GD compared to Watford and Burnley shows how far off the pace we are. We may only be 4 points effectively from safety, but that is 40% of our total points achievement so far this season. And we arent showing any signs of getting better. We didnt score in the whole of December. Without the kind of major surgery Newcastle are likely to perform, to expect a sudden change in our performance levels out of nowhere is optimistic to say the least.

Mathematically of course we're not relegated. But we have to have a reason to think the second half of our season will be radically different from the first. 

We've played everyone now - no blaming the fixture list anymore. We are where we deserve to be.

I am realistic, I don’t dispute most of your points - although to say we’re not showing any signs of getting better is to ignore a host of injuries and covid cases. We *have* shown we can give teams higher up the table a game, and we should be able to do so again. But so many “supporters” have thrown in the towel already. If we don’t believe we can pick up a couple of results and improve things, how are the team going to?

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

If we don’t believe we can pick up a couple of results and improve things, how are the team going to?

I dont really think the teams ability and self-belief is directly proportional to how the fans feel. They need to give us something to shout about - its not down to us to get them motivated. They all have their own personal drives and ambitions irrespective of wht plebs like us think

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

My quote is in there, thank you. 

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

My quote is in there, thank you. 

I didn’t use the quote function to avoid making it personal, but you’re welcome.

53 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont really think the teams ability and self-belief is directly proportional to how the fans feel. They need to give us something to shout about - its not down to us to get them motivated. They all have their own personal drives and ambitions irrespective of wht plebs like us think

They’re clearly not directly related but it’s been said time and time again by footballers that the mood of the crowd affects them. It’s like supporters are, what’s the phrase… a twelfth man? 😳

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

They’re clearly not directly related but it’s been said time and time again by footballers that the mood of the crowd affects them. It’s like supporters are, what’s the phrase… a twelfth man? 😳

You give the crowd at Carrow Road commitment and something to get excited about then they will back you to the final whistle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You give the crowd at Carrow Road commitment and something to get excited about then they will back you to the final whistle. 

Exactly. I may think we are down, but every single time I get to the Carra I will still sing, support and hope that the players give the crowd something to hold on to. Every game is still a chance to win, to prove people wrong, and just because I think our season is done doesn't mean we can't win any single game in isolation, and I will still support the side to the hilt. I never go after individuals by chant, I never boo. 

At the moment, irrespective of results, what the players actually need to do is provide a level of performance that enables the crowd to get involved in the game.

Because playing like we did against Arsenal, the most supportive crowd in the world isn't going to produce much positivity.

I want Norwich to look for the future.

We have to give the youth a chans. 

We have to have a system that we belive in and buy players for that system. (I love 4-3-3)

I want players that are hungry and willing to learn. And have a fighting spirit. 

Right now I dont belive in the players we sign. If that is Weber and Farke ore onely Webers foult i dont know.

I dont think we have a clear playing system. 

We dont have players that belive in them self. And we have no money 

I dont think the Next 3-4 years Will look so bright for Norwich. Hope im mistaken.