Danke bitte

What is it that you want from Norwich?

This morning an excellent Robin Sainty article on the EDP got me thinking of the very question. 

What is it you want from NCFC realistically?

I think it’s more apparent than ever that we can’t compete in the Premier League. Not because our starting 11 is sh1te when fully available, I don’t think it is, but we lack squad depth and quality options (or weapons as some prefer… 😊). 

I think Webber made the mistake of tooting this “top 17 club” and raised all expectations beyond what realistically could be achieved. To say we’ve been brought down to earth with a bump is probably an understatement.

So like that all I’d like, is for us to be competitive and get some soul back into the club / team - on a personal level the last few seasons have been fantastic, but I feel you could draw a parallel now to when we got “Premier League serious” under Hughton when Lambert left, when the personality of our play was sucked out. Not that Smith is likely to be as negative as Hughton but I feel like we’re in the furrow of change which will take time. 

• Like 1

Just to enjoy it. I accept there will be down times. And average times. But I just want us to be a football club that competes at our level and brings a smile to my face, gets my heart racing and entertains me. It doesn't have to be at the highest level. We have been there so we aren't like so many other clubs who will never experience it.

• Like 7

I do not want us to change, if it takes another few yo yo cycles to evolve the team / squad so we compete that would be great.

The problem for me with the model is that every other side is constantly improving too.

If the aspiration to do a Brighton becomes impossible then developing future stars while being competitive in the championship would be good.

I want us to play attractive football and I want to feel some kind of solidarity within the squad and a rapport between the players and the fans. (I suppose this means I want a repeat of 2018-19, but I realise this magical feeling can only happen once.)

I don't want to be Watford hiring and firing their way to the Prem, or an ugly team like Burnley hoofing and kicking their way.

I like the idea of becoming an established Premier club, but on the other hand the idea of finishing 16th every season doesn't appeal to me much. But that's the best we can hope for if we judge success by league position. The top half of the Prem is more or less a closed shop.

Sometimes I think I'm losing my interest in football.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4

City is my team and always will be no matter what League we’re in. I do want to compete, I want my players to try, put some effort in, I don’t my losing, after supporting since early 60’s I’ve seen plenty. But the joys of winning! 
Over the years I’ve seen some great games, some wonderful players, felt like my own friends. Somehow the present crop do not feel like the players of the past.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just to enjoy it. I accept there will be down times. And average times. But I just want us to be a football club that competes at our level and brings a smile to my face, gets my heart racing and entertains me. It doesn't have to be at the highest level. We have been there so we aren't like so many other clubs who will never experience it.

Agree. That's all I want as well. 

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I want us to play attractive football and I want to feel some kind of solidarity within the squad and between the players and the fans. (I suppose this means I want a repeat of 2018-19, but I realise this magical feeling can only happen once.)

I don't want to be Watford hiring and firing their way to the Prem, or an ugly team like Burnley hoofing and kicking their way.

I like the idea of becoming an established Premier club, but on the other hand the idea of finishing 16th every season doesn't appeal to me much. But that's the best we can hope for if we judge success by league position. The top half of the Prem is more or less a closed shop.

Sometimes I think I'm losing my interest in football.

Can't agree more even on the point of losing interest in football. I used to watch as much football as I could and enjoyed it. Now it's a case of take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong , I will always support Norwich, watch them as much as possible and, when retirement comes my way, finally become a season ticket holder. We will never have the resources to match successful EPL teams. Money has ruined the people's game but that's another subject. I just want us to compete, try and play the right way and see the players and supporters enjoying it. Used to be involved in non league football but even there money and attitudes ruined it for me so had to walk away. Like everything in life if you don't enjoy it then walk away and try something else. City have to get people enjoying them again. Then they will get all the support they need. Saying that I will always support them even through thin and thinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I want us to be competitive. Right now we are like a small kid whos dad holds him at arms length whilst we swing punches without hitting.

I want us to be the Norwich from 1987 to 95, ok its unrealistic to expect 4th and 3rd place finishes now but regularly finishing 12th to 16th and occasional cup runs.

In terms of personality and love of the club Delia and Michael are THE best owners but if we can't find investors or new owners with money we have to invest in a really good scouting team. Head hunt from other clubs. Pay top wages for the best scouts because right now our recruitment is maybe 2 out of 10 working  but to succeed we need 5 or 6 at least

Sustainability is fine, but you can't just say your self funded because thats how you get money, you have to do all you can to increase those funds.

I also think we need to look at the make up of the squad. We have too many young inexperienced players, mostly from other leagues.. I'd suggest investing in 2 or 3 max from abroad with technical ability then 3 or 4 from the UK with the build and strength and experience of English football.

2 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Can't agree more even on the point of losing interest in football. I used to watch as much football as I could and enjoyed it. Now it's a case of take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong , I will always support Norwich, watch them as much as possible and, when retirement comes my way, finally become a season ticket holder. We will never have the resources to match successful EPL teams. Money has ruined the people's game but that's another subject. I just want us to compete, try and play the right way and see the players and supporters enjoying it. Used to be involved in non league football but even there money and attitudes ruined it for me so had to walk away. Like everything in life if you don't enjoy it then walk away and try something else. City have to get people enjoying them again. Then they will get all the support they need. Saying that I will always support them even through thin and thinner.

Exactly. It's easy to romanticise the past and imagine a time that never existed, when no player ever cheated and glory hunters didn't exist and Barrow were just as likely as Liverpool to win the league, but something's got lost in the modern game. 

A team that try’s to play good football and can compete physically. 
I’m not bothered about signing the best players but I’m sick of signing slow and weak ones and seeing us get ran all over.  There’s definitely players out there in our price range but our recruitment needs a massive shake up. 

To keep developing as a club until we are in the Premier league more often than the championship in the long term.

Sadly, I don't expect us to join the 10 or so clubs that can claim to be established Premier league clubs, but I think that we will be in the tier below (10th to 20th) as long as we retain sound financial management and avoid "playing*" debt.

Of course if the big football brand teams pushed off to a TV based European super league, it would be a game changer and we could have properly competitive league again.

*Debt based on current expenditure on wages and transfers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To enjoy watching my team play. To feel pride watching them play.

It's been a long time

Eight months counts as a long time? In terms of memory that is verging on goldfish territory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

To be competetive midtable team in prem with a good enough squad to have a decent chance of winning one of the cups.

The prem is the only place to be if we're competetive imo, games are far more exciting and atmosphere can be much better due to larger away support.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Eight months

There were some pretty good performances in November! One month (and a bit)!

What I want is for us to be competitive in the Premier League matches. Not expecting us to pull up trees or even be successful against relegation, but I’d like to be able to go to games without feeling like we’re beaten before we’ve even kicked off.

Also, I want to see us scoring goals, whatever the final result.

Finally, I’d like us to treat the FA Cup seriously (which I think we mostly do) and as a winnable competition - because with a bit of good fortune, it really is and how amazing would that feel? 

• Like 1

I would be delighted if we consistently replicated Lambert's final season.

In the top flight, scoring goals, playing with grit, pride and passion and staying just above the relegation dogfight.

I honestly think we can achieve that but we need a more pragmatic and less ideological recruitment strategy. We have so little height, power, pace, blood, thunder and nastiness.

I pray Smith might help to rectify that in the long term.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I would be delighted if we consistently replicated Lambert's final season.

In the top flight, scoring goals, playing with grit, pride and passion and staying just above the relegation dogfight.

I honestly think we can achieve that but we need a more pragmatic and less ideological recruitment strategy. We have so little height, power, pace, blood, thunder and nastiness.

I pray Smith might help to rectify that in the long term.

Good post. I don't really follow football beyond NCFC and I'd be interested to know if this was always a doomed strategy, or whether when SW and DF arrived at the club a team playing Farkeball could have succeeded in the Prem? Ironically, given the usual criticism aimed at the club, it looks like we were too ambitious, trying to be successful and playing total football...

• Like 1

To become a team that other premier league teams don’t look at the schedule and say there’s an easy 3 pts. To become competitive and respected by other teams. Right now other teams and fans laugh at us, and that’s embarrassing.and to be able to hold our heads high and not be laughed at when we say we support NCFC

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To enjoy watching my team play. To feel pride watching them play.

It's been a long time

You had no pride or enjoyment last season? That lot down the road have had a long time of no pride or enjoyment, that is not something we can complain about IMO. 

• Like 1

Any indication at al of them putting any effort at all. 

just feels like the Hughton 2nd season with a load of d1c4head players none of us like that don’t care if we go down.

• Like 1

I want NCFC to become an established Premier League club. If it means changing our business/operating/ownership model then so be it. Will I enjoy it? Don't know. Do I enjoy it now? Absolutely not. Will I enjoy the Championship? No, not having seen the quality of football matches in the Premier League. Is it realistic? Yes imo.

I can't put my finger on why, but NCFC is losing me a bit. I'm becoming ambivalent to their/our fortunes. Perhaps I feel regarded more as a paying customer, than a supporter. Perhaps other things in life are more important, perhaps the 'talk down' approach by the Dof doesn't help, not sure, but the spark has gone at the moment. Just to be clear I've been attending matches since the 70s and a season ticket holder for almost 20 years, so certainly not a glory hunter!

• Like 1

Fight bravely against relegation, put in performances. Overall keep improving as a club.

I don’t have any more expectations than that personally.

However we haven’t really been doing the first and this year it’s doubtful we are doing the latter or at least if we are the improvement is small/subjective.

To be honest, I think I like our Championship teams and I don't like our Premier League teams. I detest the business of signing players for the top flight with the inflated fees, wages, egos etc.

Every time we go up, we make a bunch of signings which always seem to backfire. I want to see us develop players in the Championship and retain them rather than selling them all and stop blowing stupid money on rubbish players.

Looking back, we've signed so much dross. I loved it when we went up under Lambert and basically kept the same squad, same under Farke. I don't mind losing, as long as we haven't spent tens of millions on that bunch of losers.

I feel no affinity with any of our recent signings and Dean Smith leaves me cold. I want Norwich to be the club who does things differently. Rather than aspiring to be Everton, I'd much rather keep yo-yoing but retain our identity. 

It's all a bit late now though, we've blown the money, lost the soul of the club and I fear we are at the start of a long decline.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1