Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The Cantwell saga continues.. £15 million bid to come?

Dealing with the richest Club and we want 15 million ?

home grown has talent to play PL who else would accept this ?

Rinse them you get one chance 

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Dealing with the richest Club and we want 15 million ?

home grown has talent to play PL who else would accept this ?

Rinse them you get one chance 

Athletico Madrid accepted £12m for Trippier 

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This has been like watching the tail wagging the dog ever since TC got into the first team. Stalling on signing contracts and so knowingly putting his value to the club down as time goes on. Losing his focus more than once when most needed and now the end result - the prospect of a cheap transfer out and disappointment for fans that he hasn't contributed as much as he ought to have done.  He would undoubtedly say it is down to the club and the manager(s) but taking everything into consideration, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.  I've both praised him and criticised him over the last four years, but at this precise moment, I think the criticism outweighs the praise by quite a long way. Disappointing.

If he stays, which he could, then he had better pull his socks up, grow up, stop playing the "the local boy done good" card and produce something that is worthy of a footballer earning as much as he does.

Maybe. To what extent should the issues be put down to a young man in his 20s relative to octogenarians running the Club?

We’re going to miss all of those man of the match performances. Just look at the number of times he’s pulled us back from the brink of defeat by playing a blinder……

Apparently there are a couple of clubs interested in Todd or that could either be the club or agent talk, I'm not sure how real the interest is from Newcastle and especially with the financial power they have they may have other targets in mind.

I suspect that as Todd is now apparently fully fit he will be in the team, and showing all potential buyers what he is capable of, but we shall see.

Apparently spurs are interested in him now. This guy Chris cowlin is quite reliable who has  174,000 plus followers on Twitter.  

image.png

Edited by Star55

7 hours ago, tricky974 said:

Apparently there are a couple of clubs interested in Todd or that could either be the club or agent talk, I'm not sure how real the interest is from Newcastle and especially with the financial power they have they may have other targets in mind.

I suspect that as Todd is now apparently fully fit he will be in the team, and showing all potential buyers what he is capable of, but we shall see.

I am struggling with these rumours for Todd.  He is a good player when his head is right.  Which premiership club would he be a good fit for? 

I really can't see Conte and Beilsa seeing Todd as their sort of player. 

Liverpool is simply bonkers, where would he fit in?   4th or 5th choice winger.

If I was at Newcastle I might have considered him if I was cash constrained, which they aren't.

I get left thinking Burnley, Brighton, Brentford, or Watford, the latter purely to give them more homegrown players.  The others I think he might get in and around the first team squad, although I am not sure about that.

If none of those are interested (I have not seen any rumours associating Todd with them) he is back in the championship - or overseas.  Then I am thinking what is the point.

His situation is a distraction.

Edited by Newtopia

I hope someone just buys him. Then we can move on. Personally don't want him joining rivals in Newcastle or Leeds. Liverpool would be best, as he'd never ever play for them apart from cup games! Maybe his ego would then land

15 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Newcastle like the player but 'at a lower price'! They can afford £15M without even noticing it!

If we're selling to them we should hold out for at least £20M ... other clubs would.

Wow, you really think a business will just 'not notice' £15 Million. Are you actually serious? 😂😂😂

Fantastic breakout season in the Prem, threw a bit of a ****-fit before having an OK Champ season, appears to have had an even bigger ****-fit and has barely played let alone contributed to this season.

If we could get £20m at this point thats a great deal. 

8 hours ago, tricky974 said:

Yes, I thought that too. We'll see - if he isn't, then that pretty much confirms he is on his way.  It brings to mind a 3rd round fa cup game two years ago where he played where we put out a very second string team and he coasted through that game, barely breaking sweat, which I thought was disrespectful to his team mates and the fans. It looked to me like an "I'm too good for this" kind of performance. If he is picked, I think we will see a bit more effort  from him this time!

I hope he isn't picked for the Cup game. It's more important to give game time to our players who have been out injured or with Covid than provide a platform for a player who clearly has no intention of being any part of our future.

As for the league games, Smith has to decide what to do. If he thinks that Cantwell will actually try in these games because he wants to put himself in the shop window, and that this might make it more likely that we get a result, perhaps he should play him. It doesn't send a good message to the other players who don't have attitude problems, though.

14 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

Athletico Madrid accepted £12m for Trippier 

i imagine his age had something to do with that Todd should have another 10 years ! 

16 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Piffle that quite a few people seem to agree with.....

Is this where someone mentions Hitler?

Also, a little ironic coming from the Punk Un’s very own Mr “I stick to my own opinions throughout and I don’t care what anyone else says”.

• Like 1

Newcastle know that we need to release funds for transfers. Even if they were interested, why would they bung us £15m and give us a slightly less remote chance of survival over them? The club coming out and putting a price on his head seems unusual, and screams desperation for me - if true of course.

I don't see him going anywhere. If Newcastle want him, it will be done at the end of the window to reduce our chances of making any signings with the cash. 

15 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Does anyone actually know what the situation is between Cantwell and his club or are we angry that he is either unfit or injured this season? 

A lot of people like to think they do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's no way Cantwell goes this window.

No one will pay £10-£15M for a player who is still so unproven and has made such a limited impact this season - for whatever reason/s.

I genuinely think the Toon/Spurs links are just attempts by those clubs to spook other clubs into selling wantaway players for sensible prices ... Cantwell is a false Plan B.

i Seriously think if he went to Liverpool you might not see much of him to start with but Klopp can make a player no doubt 

But that all depends on Todd Go to Newcastle and have great Nights out in the Toon

Or go to somewhere where you will have to work 10 times harder than ever before  and get the rewards after working under Klopp 

i think if he goes to Newcastle etc he will slip down the leagues go to somewhere with a extra strong Great manager and he has some hope 

Imo for whatever reason, Todd seems to have gone stale here - clearly something happened with DF as he went from a starting XI player to training with the u23’s. He was then given a fresh start by DS, but hasn’t yet taken the opportunity.  It’s not too late if he can get his head right, but the clock is ticking - no one is indispensable.

I’d happily see him stay and play his part, but there’s little point (either for him or us) him being here unused so there may well be a decision to make and it could be time to cash in on whatever value he now has.

If he does get his dream move to somewhere like Liverpool or Spurs, they will be thinking he can fulfil his potential. I liken him to Conor Gallagher who plays very similarly to Todd - even looks like him to an extent and you could easily think this is Todd in this video....Todd at his best that is - and we haven't seen that at all this season.

27 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

There's no way Cantwell goes this window.

No one will pay £10-£15M for a player who is still so unproven and has made such a limited impact this season - for whatever reason/s.

I genuinely think the Toon/Spurs links are just attempts by those clubs to spook other clubs into selling wantaway players for sensible prices ... Cantwell is a false Plan B.

It's more likely to be his agents circulating rumours to generate interest. 

It's basically the same situation to when Leeds were 'interested' in 2020, yet never made a bid.

15 hours ago, essex canary said:

Maybe. To what extent should the issues be put down to a young man in his 20s relative to octogenarians running the Club?

It'll be down to Todd and his agents. 

The club have spoken publicly about securing their most valuable assests and getting Max, Jamal, Emi, Godfrey to long term contracts. Todd was the most difficult to deal with throughout those discussions (despite only playing a bit part role in the promotion season), and only signed 3+1 year contract later on, as opposed to a 5 year contract like the others.

It's worth mentioning that Todd has the same agents (Elite Project Group Limited) as Josh Maja, who is infamous for running down his contract at Sunderland, which was documented on the Netflix series, Sunderland 'Till I Die.

To be honest, I have been wanting Todd to prove his talents consostently throughout a full season - ideally at PL level. IMO he hasn't done that.

18/19 - he was a bit part player and actually got a bit of criticism for his performances, which was harsh on an academy player.

19/20 - He did well but his six goals flattered him, with a few being tap-ins. He was unable to influence games consistently and, as Farke put it, "Todd hasn't got an assist in 32 Premier League games".

20/21 - sulked at the beginning of the season and tried to engineer a move away, despite no bids actually being received. This prompted Farke to state that he'd "rather play the kit man". Showed that he is a class above the Championship with his performances in the second half of the season but I felt 6 goals and 6 assists was below what he was capable of.. especially when you look at Emi's stats.

21/22 - God knows. 

I always found his relationship with Farke quite interesting. DF often came out with lines like "we've helped Todd more than anyone else since we arrived at this club" but it seems like he has some kind of misplaced arrogance and a desparation to move. Emi proved his worth consistently over three seasons and deserved his move away, as painful as it was. I can't say the same for Todd. It just seems like he's shown 70% of his potential and acted like a bit of a brat throughout.

As a fan, it's hard to comprehend why a local lad would be such a disruptive influence and be so eager to move away, which is why I'd suspect his agents have been influential. If only he could take a leaf out of Darren Eadie' book (or Hucks, for that matter)!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, essex canary said:

Blimey, that Stuart Webber is wearing well. He doesn’t look a day over 65.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

If we have to sell him to Newcastle this window, I’d take the £15m but how about Dwight Gayle as a realistic sweetener?

Wouldn't be a bad swap deal, that. Gayle's as proven as they get in the Champs and will give Pukki all the competition he can eat. Not only that, it frees Idah up for a loan. Obvious downside is his age.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Well at least we won,t have to worry about him being cup tied tomorrow if he is going to Newcastle. 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i imagine his age had something to do with that Todd should have another 10 years ! 

Cantwell has no pace now so in 10 years time his legs will be well and truly gone!

Combine this with the poor attitude and Cantwell could well be playing for his home Town club in 10 years time!

Something doesn't feel right about this Toon rumour, but if true, for ethical reasons we probably should knock a few million off the price after the Murphy & Lewis muggings