12 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Having endured a mid-week trip to Carlisle for a League Cup match (drew 2:2) I was one if the lucky ones eligible for Robert Chase’s free plane trip to Oldham (another mid-week match).  Having won (3:2 I think) and gone top of the league (first season of the Prem) I found myself on the flight back sitting immediately behind Bryan Gunn.  Although there was no bar service on board, the players seemed to have a supply of lager and Gunny surreptitiously passed a couple of tinnies back to me.  

The current owners could reintroduce the flight prize initiative. 

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The current owners could reintroduce the flight prize initiative. 

"Congratulations you've won a flight to Southampton!".....

Photo

12 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I've had the pleasure and displeasure of meeting quite a few of the players over the years plus pre-match lunch with Delia,.MWJ and Michael Foulger.

On the list of the players I've met who are really nice are:

Holty, Peter Mendham, Ruel, Gunny SR, Mike Sheron

Those not so nice (for various reasons): 

Sutton, Sutch, Huckerby, Andy Townsend and of course Danny Mills.

Surprised to see Huckerby on the bad boys list, but not at all surprised by any of the others there.

As for gunny, fantastic keeper, crap manager, but always an all-round top bloke

I once spoke to Grant Holt when I was working in a call centre. I was completely professional throughout the whole call, then just before we hung up I told him he was an absolute legend. Best. Work. Day. Ever.

Working in and around Luton and Stevenage for the last 10-15 years in football, I’ve met a few of our old and current players 

I’ve known Max and his dad Mike Aarons for a number of years and Leon Barnett has helped me out with football coaching down the years 

Edited by Yobocop
  • Like 1

I went out with the sister of Keith O'Neills girlfriend for a bit after we all met in Cyprus in '98. They were Essex based (of course they were?!) and I'd collect them both for Norwich jaunts with 'Keet and a few other players like Darren Kenton, Sutchy, Mike Millighan and loanee Ged Grannan who was a lovely chap. 'Keet was good fun. He split with his, I later f\/king married mine...cost me *** thousands to shift her. 'Keet was obviously brighter then he made out, not only on that move, but he ended up marrying a Dame(?), or Lady(?) or summut all regal. Good on him, lovely chap.

15 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

On the list of the players I've met who are really nice are:

Holty, Peter Mendham, Ruel, Gunny SR, Mike Sheron

Mendham before my time as a player, but given his later history a bit surprising to see him on the nice list!

Ken Brown outside the Goldstone Ground (autographed my programme) in the early 80s before the FA Cup quarter final that we lost 1:0 thanks to Jimmy Case’s dodgy goal.

Never met any City players as far as I can recall, but I did live with a girl who was going out with Clint Easton. She put him on the phone to me for a few minutes of awkward chat.

I once had a quick chinwag with John Fashanu and Ross Jack when they were at Lincoln....

Paul McVeigh....I met him in a pub in the City, he's a nice bloke....

Drank in Mowbray's which is long gone now, which was opposite the Ribs. Mowbray's was frequented by Iwan, Matt Jackson, M Milligan and many others.....interesting.....

Neil Adams I've met in a pub he's a decent guy.....

Many more I've met but it's not that difficult if you go to certain establishments and don't act like a dribbling weeble....which I have done on a couple of occasions in years gone by.....

Too many to mention since 1964 but certainly the most memorable was being invited to watch Vitesse Arnhem against Ajax in advance of our UEFA Cup  game against them.  Private flight from Norwich Airport to Rotterdam with Mike Walker, John Deehan and Robert Chase.  I think Geoffrey Watling may have been there as well but the memory is a bit hazy.  Lunch at a hotel and then onto the game.  Remember Mike Walker being a real gent and the double act with John Deehan with regards to man management and football tactics was fascinating.  Robert Chase was...well....Robert Chase.  I did offer to ask the pilot to drop him off as we flew back over Halvergate Hall but I'm not sure if he got the joke!

Not Norwich related but I shook hands with Christopher Quinten  (Coronation Street) when he played live with his band at a Coalville nightclub. What a night, nearly a dozen paying customers and on my birthday too. Chris is 64 now and got engaged to his lap dancing girlfriend (21) a few years ago. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

42 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Mendham before my time as a player, but given his later history a bit surprising to see him on the nice list!

Honestly one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

I was lucky enough to be coached by Mendham, Ian Crook and Steve Bruce all really good "normal" guys. 

23 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

As a kid in Sprowston I used to meet them all from Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland etc. etc. all living in club owned bungalows.

But then they were proper sportsmen in those days without the social media airs and graces.

Cannerby Lane or Linacre Ave was it

X rated movies to Ruel Fox and half the city squad for the away fixtures 

7 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I had the pleasure of playing with him when I was starting out in local men's football and he is a top guy.

Yep had his issues as documented but we all have times in our life that we'd do again and regret.

9 hours ago, Shining White said:

Surprised to see Huckerby on the bad boys list, but not at all surprised by any of the others there.

I'm sure when you get to know him properly that he is a nice guy.

My experience was over kids football and the way he behaved; similar to both Sutton and Sutch as they were also kids football related.

When Norwich were playing a friendly against Bray Wanderers in the late 90s, I said hello to Tim Sheppard as he walked by. He asked me who my favourite player was. I said John Polston. And he replied, "You better go off to Reading so," and walked off. I hung my head in shame. Still hurts.