At the club in person, from players up to our wonderful owners. Has anyone sat with Delia at an away match, or talked football with anyone else in a public house or cafe? There could be some wonderful anecdotes of any surprising meetings. 

I saw Todd Cantwell at a Tesco in Gateshead yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen cans of Newcastle Brown Ale in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the cans and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each can and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I saw Todd Cantwell at a Tesco in Gateshead yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen cans of Newcastle Brown Ale in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the cans and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each can and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

That must rate as your most boring and pointless post ever, and it wasn’t even a thread starter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'll have whatever he smoked before posting that psychedelic reply.

Did you see a poodle melting next to an oven too?

Id stick to posting links from other sources CC, at least you have a get out when its not entirely factually accurate! 

I bet the OP really wants to thank you for your reply.

No longer living in London I've not been an active member for many years, but through the Capital Canaries we had the opportunity to meet with Delia and Michael quite regularly, plus other board members and occasionally players too at the AGM. 

However my anecdote takes us back to 30th April 2013 and a rather impromptu trip to the British Academy of Film and Television Arts to see Delia being awarded a tribute in recognition of her outstanding career in television (more details here: https://www.bafta.org/television/features/bafta-tribute-to-delia-smith).  This all came about as Mrs J works in the world of television and they were handing out tickets around her office that afternoon.

I have very little memory about the award, however afterwards had a good 15 minute conversation with Michael over a beer for me and I believe a glass of red for MWJ.  For those who remember dates, you recall that Norwich had played Chelsea the night before at Carrow Road in the first leg of the Youth Cup final and I can still picture MWJ, in his slightly bumbling voice and glass of wine in hand, saying "It made such a nice change to watch some attacking football".  Of course we were in the depths of our magical 11th place Premier League finish under Chris Hughton at the time, but I agree with Michael that it was certainly not the most exciting of football.

I tweeted about the evening at the time, and somehow this lead to Mick Dennis blocking me as he disagreed with something I said.  Fortunately I'm still blocked by Mr Dennis until this day, so some good came out of the evening.

Here's a photo from earlier in the evening with Delia at the lectern.

No photo description available.

Had a chat with Delia and MWJ in Delias Restaurant many moons ago, I say had a chat, she was more interested in my friend who is a Reading supporter (he is from that neck of the woods) as she is very friendly with John Madejski. Reading were about to play Swansea in the Championship Play Off final and she was questioning why Swansea were in the English league as they are Welsh, she reckoned the Welsh should have their own league (MWJ had to remind her that he is Welsh and was born not far from Swansea)!! all this was happening as David McNally sat at their table, scowling across at us as he wondered/worried what on earth she was saying to us........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

I walked past Holt coming out of the former wrestling venue in Norwich once. I was going to say hi, but I didn't in the end.

It was the greatest moment of my entire life.

• Like 1

In the good old days my dad used to take us to watch training at Trowse ( you could just drive in back then )

My sister and I went autograph hunting and walked in to the changing rooms, must’ve been about 9 at the time.  One of the toilet cubicle doors burst open to see Flecky sat there on the throne as he thought we were one of his team mates !!! Cue mass hilarity from Robert Rosario if my memory serves me correctly !

Brilliant back then when the players were humans !!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

That must rate as your most boring and pointless post ever, and it wasn’t even a thread starter.

Its his new Modus Operandi. There is no end to his fiendishness.

As a kid in Sprowston I used to meet them all from Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland etc. etc. all living in club owned bungalows.

But then they were proper sportsmen in those days without the social media airs and graces.

Mike Walker driving me down to scum to watch us in a Simod Cup game around 1988-89. We lost 1-0.

My mother was good friends with Jackie and Mike was brilliant to me knowing i loved Norwich and all that. Top bloke!

He offered to take me to watch the game and just couldnt refuse. Only downside was we were sitting in their main stand surrounded by six fingered freaks.

Have met Fleck a few times, what a fantastic bloke he is. His hatred towards the scum was 1st class.

• Like 1

I was also a London Canary from their founding until 1991.  Met several players and managers at events after City played in London. Had a beer with Steve Bruce at one and met Fashanu ( forget which one, but suspect John) and Watson and others.

I met an irritated Ken brown lost on his way to open a school fete , was very grumpy ! Also met Peter Silvester at my birthday experience at Carrow road , had a good chat about the seventies, he had no time for Ron Saunders as after recovering from cartilage trouble he was told he was being sold to Cambridge United , also told me about some of the players would travel to the ground on the bus on match days . He said there nothing better than the roar of the home crowd when entering the pitch . Met Glen Roader after his days here , nice bloke who said he did his best for us , and Trevor Brooking in a paper shop in Brentwood, did not speak to him other than good morning! 

i was in the players lounge must have been 1990 /1991 as Bryan Gunn and Robert fleck Both had on Scotland world cup Gold  Watches that were given to the Scotland squad who went to the world cup  

Had a good chat about the watches 

1 hour ago, Nora's Ghost said:

As a kid in Sprowston I used to meet them all from Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland etc. etc. all living in club owned bungalows.

But then they were proper sportsmen in those days without the social media airs and graces.

Cannerby Lane or Linacre Ave was it

X rated movies to Ruel Fox and half the city squad for the away fixtures 

Played golf with Gordon Bolland back in the 1980s, purely by chance (he and I were both members at the same club in Lincolnshire).  Many years later I played 18 holes with Jeremy Goss on one of the “Canary Experiences” organised by Bryan Gunn.  Several other ex-players took part and about 20 or so supporters.  By some miracle I won and Gunny presented me with a shirt signed by all of the first team (it’s still hanging in my wardrobe).

Having endured a mid-week trip to Carlisle for a League Cup match (drew 2:2) I was one if the lucky ones eligible for Robert Chase’s free plane trip to Oldham (another mid-week match).  Having won (3:2 I think) and gone top of the league (first season of the Prem) I found myself on the flight back sitting immediately behind Bryan Gunn.  Although there was no bar service on board, the players seemed to have a supply of lager and Gunny surreptitiously passed a couple of tinnies back to me.  

Had a fantastic wedding at parkfarm a  couple of years ago and met the whole squad when they were preparing to play spurs , Todd cantwell and Jamal Lewis took time out for some pictures 👌👌👌

I went to Peter Mendham’s soccer school in Dereham in the early 90s when I was about 9.

Was crap. I didn’t become a professional. 

13 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I once bumped into Steve Bruce at a motorway service station - he wasn’t very friendly ….

Was there much damage to his car?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I once bumped into Steve Bruce at a motorway service station - he wasn’t very friendly ….

I met Bruce a few times… he was captain when I was mascot, and was first class to my family.  I was only 3 !!! My dad lied about my age !! Away at Highbury and we won, c.1987.

When he moved to Man Utd, dad sent him a thank you card…then when we were up in Manc a few years later, my dad knocked on the players entrance door, chatted him up and he got us tickets for the match that day!

Later I met Brucey as an adult walking down to  loftus rd from the tube (Peter grant eta, I think he’d just been sacked) we had a great chat, and I reminded him of my  being mascot/ my dads boldness 🤣he was class …
Top Bloke!!

I've had the pleasure and displeasure of meeting quite a few of the players over the years plus pre-match lunch with Delia,.MWJ and Michael Foulger.

On the list of the players I've met who are really nice are:

Holty, Peter Mendham, Ruel, Gunny SR, Mike Sheron

Those not so nice (for various reasons): 

Sutton, Sutch, Huckerby, Andy Townsend and of course Danny Mills.

I play football with Holt (Grant) every now and again in a weekly six a side match. 

I used to be a courier driver, and happened to meet a few players in my time. Bryan Gunn, Mark Barham, Fraser Forster, Darren Eadie, Grant Holt, Iwan Roberts and even the ginger Pele himself Gary Doherty. All were nice blokes, I was definitely star struck with Holt, he'd just got his hattrick against that lot when I first met him.

Edited by OnDaBall

12 hours ago, daly said:

Cannerby Lane or Linacre Ave was it

X rated movies to Ruel Fox and half the city squad for the away fixtures 

Yep...one or two on Lone Barn Road too.

Never had anything other than kindness and generosity shown.