Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Why wouldnt you bring back Onel/Hugill?

It's hard not to like Onel for his ebullient personality, willingness to just pin his ears back and go at folk, and the fact he got the club badge tattooed on him, but he's not doing any better than Placheta now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's hard not to like Onel for his ebullient personality, willingness to just pin his ears back and go at folk, and the fact he got the club badge tattooed on him, but he's not doing any better than Placheta now.

Onel may not be the best player we have but he loves this club, this city, the fans and has always played with passion and a love for the game. May be the kind of attitude we need right now.

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I feel we’re entirely bereft of any personalities in this squad and coaching staff now. Partly why I’m feeling so apathetic towards it all. 

That's because Farke couldn't handle egos, that's why we're so devoid of natural born leaders... Farke had to be the alpha male.

Wouldn't get Malky's and Iwan's in a Farke side, the off the shelf captain material.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Onel may not be the best player we have but he loves this club, this city, the fans and has always played with passion and a love for the game. May be the kind of attitude we need right now.

Agree, but Placheta's been doing quite well. I'd argue that it would make more sense to bring Hugill back and send Idah out, simply as Placheta and Pukki together up top doesn't really work that well. Give Placheta someone big to aim at instead of asking him to hit channel balls or raking skidders and I think you'll have a few questions answered about output.

Conversely, tell Hugill that someone's going to be firing crosses in at him, and as he showed with goals against Coventry in the cup and two against Bristol City, if you send the ball across the box, he will make a nuisance of himself.

Edited by TheGunnShow

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Give Placheta someone big to aim at instead of asking him to hit channel balls or raking skidders and I think you'll have a few questions answered about output.

Premier League defenders  will be sh*tting themselves when a winger with 0 assists in 31 Norwich City appearances attempts to land the ball on the head of a striker with 1 goal in 20 games this season in the Championship won't they. 

I swear our fanbase is over represented by complete fantasists, are you a pisces by any chance?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

The bar is clearly very low if Placheta is now considered to be doing well. I don't recall him creating a chance, having a shot or even putting in a dangerous ball.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Premier League defenders  will be sh*tting themselves when a winger with 0 assists in 31 Norwich City appearances attempts to land the ball on the head of a striker with 1 goal in 20 games this season in the Championship won't they. 

I swear our fanbase is over represented by complete fantasists, are you a pisces by any chance?

Nope, but a tall target man striker is not that likely to do well when a team is built to provide a smaller, nippier striker who thrives on channel balls. The whole point of Hugill was a plan B up top.

Cantwell set him up for one against Bristol City. Placheta set him up for that goal against Coventry in the FA Cup. Aarons set him up for the other goal against Bristol City. All were crosses from the corner of the penalty box or even deeper. No-one's said they'll tear up the Premier League, but you are at least putting two players up top where their strengths could combine.

Think there is some merit in getting Hugill back he is a proper back to goal hold the ball up target man. Whilst Idah and Sargent can do this it is not there natural game. Hugill might provide an “out” ball option when we can’t break the press.

Edited by Ulfotto

I could just about understand Hugill returning as he's a big target man, and always worth a shot when you're chucking everything at defences late in games.

I don't understand why Onel could come good, when he's done nothing in Championship all season. Just because he supposedly loves the club doesn't magically transform him into a player who will rip up Premiership.

It's arguable whether either, on current form, will do anything to improve current team, 

Getting both those back would show just how far the club has regressed.

Onel might have a good attitude but that is nowhere near enough, his overall quality is pretty poor and well lower than anything we have at that the moment and that's saying something!

Hugill is lower Championship/League One at best.

We need far better than both, even next season. Tzolis, Rashica and Placheta are better than Onel, then Dowell and Sargent can cover wide positions all better than Onel, nice guy tries hard but really not good enough to stake a claim.

As for Hugill, he can’t get into a squad wherever he goes, his scoring records are atrocious and his contribution off the ball is non existent. I wish fans would demand better than want a couple failures back at a point where we need to build not go even further back! Might as well sign Rhodes while we’re at it!

5 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont think Drmic is anywhere near the level we need. He looked good on Youtube but then I realised that most of that footage was from 6-8 years ago. He was a punt on a free-transfer signed on the hope he could get back to his former level - ie a typical Norwich signing. It didnt work and scoring some goals in the Croatian League only tells us thats his level. The Croatian League is currently ranked 17th in Europe with the EPL number 1.

I've tried to find a list which included the Championship but struggled. But I suspect the Championship also ranks higher than the Croatian Premier League

I hadn't realised he was still with us. His team is nevertheless neck and neck at the top of the league with Dinamo Zagreb who qualified in the Europa League and won at an already qualified West Ham. For us he scored 2 FA cup goals against Premier League opposition. If fit he could be a better punt than Hugill.

8 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

May be a moot point as we may not have a recall clause in their loan agreements, but in recent weeks we have not had enough professionals to field a team.

We have been playing Placheta and Idah/Sargent.

Would anybody argue that Placheta was better than Hernandez? Onel is better than Placheta and Tzolis - so why wouldnt you recall him if you could?

Hugill I would argue is better than Idah and Sargent. Not because Hugill is a world beater, but because those two are frankly cr*p.

Hugill remains our second best striker in my opinion, and Onel is currently better than both Placheta and Tzolis. If I were Dean Smith recalling those two would have been my first piece of business this transfer window.

This shows how desperate we are, we are battling to stay in the PL and our only options are to recall loan players that are not good enough. JH isn't even a championship striker how could he possibly help. Signing Hugill is one of the lead filled boots pulling us down.

Todd is another we should say good riddance to. We have some very bad footballers on our wage bill  

If you used social media you wouldn't have written that post. 

The west brom fans literally hate hugill and claim he's the worst loan they have ever had. 

Another striker who can't score. 

Edited by fredherring

2 hours ago, Indy said:

We needed far better than both (but failed to sign anyone better in the summer), even next season. Tzolis, Rashica and Placheta were supposed to be better than Onel, then Dowell and Sargent can cover wide positions sadly not any better than Onel, nice guy tries hard but really not good enough to stake a claim, which shows just how badly Webber messed up the transfer window!

Fixed that for you. 

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

The bar is clearly very low if Placheta is now considered to be doing well. I don't recall him creating a chance, having a shot or even putting in a dangerous ball.

To be fair I did see him whip in one decent cross.

Just the one! 

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nope, but a tall target man striker is not that likely to do well when a team is built to provide a smaller, nippier striker who thrives on channel balls. The whole point of Hugill was a plan B up top.

Cantwell set him up for one against Bristol City. Placheta set him up for that goal against Coventry in the FA Cup. Aarons set him up for the other goal against Bristol City. All were crosses from the corner of the penalty box or even deeper. No-one's said they'll tear up the Premier League, but you are at least putting two players up top where their strengths could combine.

This is not going to be popular……. Teemu is amazing for us, he thrives on a couple of types of chance, sharp in the box, and running through onto a tidy ball.  This season we have really struggled to create enough of either of those, but especially the tidy through ball.  The defenders in the EPL are so talented there are far less breakdowns in the box for him to latch onto.

I struggle to see Hugill as the answer to that goal scoring problem, but he was bought to give us a plan B, and if ever a team needs a plan B it ourselves now.

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be fair I did see him whip in one decent cross.

Just the one! 

We are surviving on scraps of optimism, and it is all we have, TVB please don’t squash my unrealistic optimism, otherwise I am going to convert to a passionate cricket fan, as the Rngland team are always doing well.  🤡

1 minute ago, Newtopia said:

We are surviving on scraps of optimism, and it is all we have, TVB please don’t squash my unrealistic optimism, otherwise I am going to convert to a passionate cricket fan, as the Rngland team are always doing well.  🤡

It was a solid 8/10 cross Newtopia, and if he can do it once... he might be able to pull it off again. Am I doing the optimism thing ok?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was a solid 8/10 cross Newtopia, and if he can do it once... he might be able to pull it off again. Am I doing the optimism thing ok?

8/10 is high praise for an NCFC player currently, it feels equivalent to a Man C player being nominated for balon d’or, keep the optimism up, otherwise it is going to be a long second half to the season.

I think Placheta, has been the player who has exceeded my expectations the most so far this season, although they were low at the start of the season.

OTBC

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

How can you possibly say that, given how awful our current team is? It's hard to do worse than zero goals and zero assists. 

A massive factor in our failure this season has been the enormous and unnecessary turnover of players. We've replaced some bang average players who were familiar with our team, style, system, country, culture etc. with some bang average players who were totally alien to all of those things. 

The players we've lost had other attributes such as leadership, charisma and enthusiasm which are conspicuously absent from our remaining squad. Worst of all, we've spent about £30m net to go backwards. We'd be vastly better if we'd simply retained last season's squad minus Emi and Skipp. 

If you really think our squad has gone backwards then you need to look at the bigger picture 

14 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

This is not going to be popular……. Teemu is amazing for us, he thrives on a couple of types of chance, sharp in the box, and running through onto a tidy ball.  This season we have really struggled to create enough of either of those, but especially the tidy through ball.  The defenders in the EPL are so talented there are far less breakdowns in the box for him to latch onto.

I struggle to see Hugill as the answer to that goal scoring problem, but he was bought to give us a plan B, and if ever a team needs a plan B it ourselves now.

Pretty much agree, and the chances Teemu thrives on are not the things Placheta naturally has in his locker, unless Placheta's cut inside and the ball's broken loose off a shot. Which is why the comments on his lack of assists don't, IMO, tell all the story.

Is Hugill a Premier League player? Not shown anything like it with us. But he'll always be far better in the air than Pukki. He's not the kind of striker that thrives on the chances we created at our best. But I suspect if you tell Placheta, Tzolis or Rashica, that they'll have Hugill and Sargent piling around in the box on occasion, and maybe McLean coming in later, we might look more dangerous banging crosses in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pretty much agree, and the chances Teemu thrives on are not the things Placheta naturally has in his locker, unless Placheta's cut inside and the ball's broken loose off a shot. Which is why the comments on his lack of assists don't, IMO, tell all the story.

Is Hugill a Premier League player? Not shown anything like it with us. But he'll always be far better in the air than Pukki. He's not the kind of striker that thrives on the chances we created at our best. But I suspect if you tell Placheta, Tzolis or Rashica, that they'll have Hugill and Sargent piling around in the box on occasion, and maybe McLean coming in later, we might look more dangerous banging crosses in.

Hugill will come back chomping at the bit. Scored 1 so far on loan at WBA and who’s to say he won’t double that by the end of the season. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Haha 2

Hugill has scored one in about twenty in the championship, not good enough at that level nevermind the premier League, and for s strong lad up front he is terrible at holding up the ball, I'm sure that he could do a job somewhere, but has not scored may at a few clubs now. 

Unless he can play in a different position like Joelinton.

11 hours ago, fredherring said:

If you used social media you wouldn't have written that post. 

The west brom fans literally hate hugill and claim he's the worst loan they have ever had. 

Another striker who can't score. 

My only point is that I still think he's better than what we have. He might still be cr*p! But he cant be any worse than Sargent or Idah