The Great Mass Debater

Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?

Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

A. I don't know.               

B. It's a completely different question to what I was asking.

Okay so we don’t know exactly why he’s lost all focus for anything NCFC. But is assuming that he thinks he’s ‘bigger than us’ such a leap, he had his head turned last season just like Buendia. Buendia got his move he was desperate for. Cantwell hasn’t, but we already know he previously wanted one, so hardly a giant leap to assume that’s what his current issue is, is it?

What else do you put his total loss of focus down to?

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Ok I'll bite again...what have you seen or heard that makes you think he thinks he's a lot better than us. And who are us?

Also to answer your initial questions seriously - there’s been two very public fallings out with Farke within the space of the last 18 months. That’s two more fallings out than every other player in the team right now, combined…

I’ll ask again, what do you think his loss of focus has been down to if it isn’t him wanting a move to a bigger club or equivalent issue?

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

May as well take the money for him since it doesn’t look like he’s going to contribute to the football side of the club anymore.

22 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I have never been his biggest fan especially compared to some on here but let's be honest, Newcastle will be looking at higher targets than Cantwell. They will unlike us, not be looking at resale prices. They will want players for now who are ready to go. They will not care if they are young with room to improve, they will happily Chuck 15 million plus on a 30 year old who is ready and able to keep them up. 

They will also need their quota of home ground players to conform to the rules, Cantwell would be a relatively cheap option to fill the match day requirements, as a bench warmer ofc.

18 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Vindication for Farke? Might he also be vindicated on his dropping of Saint Gilmour?

Id argue the Todd and Billy situation were a contributing factor to the decision to dismiss the guy we'd just given a 4 year contract to, 11 games after he won the league

This echoes my thoughts. Am fairly disgusted at the thought that two players - a show pony and a loan player - could have had so much influence behind the scenes, probably affecting other players in the squad who might have thought the two were being treated badly, when all along Farke was probably right. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This echoes my thoughts. Am fairly disgusted at the thought that two players - a show pony and a loan player - could have had so much influence behind the scenes, probably affecting other players in the squad who might have thought the two were being treated badly, when all along Farke was probably right. 

Farke had pretty much always been proven right with young players despite internal and external pressures. He got a lot of stick on here for dropping Emi and Todd but it benefitted the team and even seemed to end up benefitting them. He had an issue with Murphy at one point I think? That seemed to get resolved and we got a good price for him, whilst keeping the rest of the squad on board.

I think the problem was Farke's results at the start of the season wasn't just a poor-ish run, it was absolutely dreadful. It left such little wiggle-room and with Gilmour's reputation (which is over-stated, of course) it was hardly surprising that he'd come under pressure for not being able to find room for either of them.

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Farke was definitely proven right about both players which is sad to think now, but does help to reinforce a positive legacy. Could you imagine the **** he’d be getting right now when our season totally unravelled following all the current injury woes? 

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

It all boils down to Todd invited to turn on the City Christmas lights a few years ago.....He's never been the same since.....FACT!....

Obvious....is Obvious......Mark my wurdz.....

Problem was, again, he got ahead of himself - skipped Dereham’s Xmas lights and went straight to Norry. Much too big for his boots. 😁

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Problem was, again, he got ahead of himself - skipped Dereham’s Xmas lights and went straight to Norry. Much too big for his boots. 😁

If someone shines a torch in Dereham there's a massive round of applause....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Proved to be right on most players he felt he needed to freeze/bomb out.

Name me any player Farke froze out who went on to pull up trees elsewhere? 

Gilmour was a marquee signing, and we've behaved as such all season. Remember the cr*p Celtic players the likes of Peter Grant signed? Beaming from ear to ear? Or the ex-Tottenham players Hughton coveted? Or even the loans Roeder signed.

Buy into the idea that we're 'lucky to have' a certain player then it can cause problems.

Gilmour underperforms and subsequently loses the first team place he started with? No - cant be having that. Manager must have it wrong/must be causing him to underperform. Sack the manager.

Cantwell, a player the club self-proclaims is a £50m player. Downs tools cuz he thinks he's bigger than the club. Must be the manager - sack him and we get our saleable asset back.

Hasnt worked has it? And Farke was the fall-guy.

I say again - 11 games after he won the league and was given a 4 year contract.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike w said:

Agree with Kirku, thrown his toys out of pram, wants out. Failed this year to help team mates on pitch. No good to us in his frame of mind, just get him off payroll. Was envious of Emi and his pay rise and seems to have happened at that time. Too fancy a player for me and too lightweight easily knocked off ball.

Really disappointed with him, wont get big wages he thought he should have. Work your socks off, get noticed for you work, then and only then bigger earnings and trimmings

Contrast him with Aarons, who has been the ultimate professional. A player who actually did have interest from the top clubs in European football, but kept his head and buckled down at little old Norwich

1Dq9.gif

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Farke had pretty much always been proven right with young players despite internal and external pressures. He got a lot of stick on here for dropping Emi and Todd but it benefitted the team and even seemed to end up benefitting them. He had an issue with Murphy at one point I think? That seemed to get resolved and we got a good price for him, whilst keeping the rest of the squad on board.

I think the problem was Farke's results at the start of the season wasn't just a poor-ish run, it was absolutely dreadful. It left such little wiggle-room and with Gilmour's reputation (which is over-stated, of course) it was hardly surprising that he'd come under pressure for not being able to find room for either of them.

I agree with that. Farke was under enough pressure just because of results and in a situation where everyone is unhappy because results are bad, any extra issues get magnified and add to the general malaise.  What disappointed me more than anything was that on the face of it, Farke was given a four year contract because he had earned it - was then faced with several new players to fit in, interupted pre-season, a horrendous opening few fixtures, two latecomers in Kabak and Normann - yet despite that and the poor results and difficulties with certain players - he still started to turn it round with fighting draws and then the win against Brentford, which would have given everyone at the club a huge boost. 

That is why it looked such a horrendous decision that day to sack him - at the point of perhaps most positivity we had got to all season.  As people know, I'm a huge believer in positivity and momentum (not always, but that is what I try to do!) and for me on that day Farke made the breakthrough - a win that would spur us on - renewed belief and confidence re-emerging, players on board and any irritations of the likes of Cantwell or Gilmour put in the background.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, buying Christmas presents and hand-delivering them to people who live in the area he grew up! Waster! 😡

Think he was probably referring more to the private jet in the summer on Championship wages and the Lambo he's allegedly driving. 

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Contrast him with Aarons, who has been the ultimate professional. A player who actually did have interest from the top clubs in European football, but kept his head and buckled down at little old Norwich

Ben Godfrey was a decent kid as well wasn't he. 

I cannot wait for Cantwell to go or the Window shuts and he stays. 
Bored of the whole saga now. So many ifs and ands. 
It is not as if he is adding anything to the team at the moment

4 hours ago, OnDaBall said:

They will also need their quota of home ground players to conform to the rules, Cantwell would be a relatively cheap option to fill the match day requirements, as a bench warmer ofc.

A very good point. Looking at their team that played the last fixture and the squad I don't think this would be something that would worry them unless they are going to sign  double figures 

There's an argument that whilst Cantwell isn't performing for us, there's a reason he's one of only a couple of players who other Premier League clubs would be vaguely interested in. There would have to an obvious replacement who we believe with an almost certainty could help us more this season than Todd to warrant the sale, and even then thats ignoring the long-term loss.

It's a shame the direction things have gone but its difficult not to think a fresh start might be best for all concerned.