The Great Mass Debater

Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?

Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sell Cantwell to Newcastle?

• Yes
    • No

Todd has made it clear he wants out and wont sign a new contract. He has barely featured all season. His overall contribution this season is probably negative. The club clearly want to move him on as well. The question is to whom and for how much. Newcastle have now made an enquiry.

So... Assume Newcastle offer us the £15-20m we want for him. Should we sell seeing as they are a relegation rival? Personally I think they're one of the few viable destinations for him, and I dont expect them to be much of a relegation rival by the end of this window. Good riddance Id say. Unless anyone thinks he still has something to offer us on the pitch? Or that Newcastle will still be one of our rivals for the remainder of the season? I've also seen the argument that we dont want Newcastle coming down with us and being a rival in the Championship.

Personally Id bite their hand off.

He's not doing us much good at the moment, and his value's not going to increase while that continues (and as he gets nearer to his contract ending). Also not convinced he'd have a positive impact on their team based on current performances, so could be a win-win for us. Frustrating as he has the potential for so much more, but I'd take 12-15m right now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Todd has made it clear he wants out and wont sign a new contract. He has barely featured all season. His overall contribution this season is probably negative. The club clearly want to move him on as well. The question is to whom and for how much. Newcastle have now made an enquiry.

So... Assume Newcastle offer us the £15-20m we want for him. Should we sell seeing as they are a relegation rival? Personally I think they're one of the few viable destinations for him, and I dont expect them to be much of a relegation rival by the end of this window. Good riddance Id say. Unless anyone thinks he still has something to offer us on the pitch? Or that Newcastle will still be one of our rivals for the remainder of the season? I've also seen the argument that we dont want Newcastle coming down with us and being a rival in the Championship.

Personally Id bite their hand off.

I'd be a bit surprised if we get £15-20m for him based on his season to date but Newcastle are clearly throwing cash around so if they offer that much it would seem a no-brainer.

Be sad to see him go in many ways but realistically it doesn't seem at all likely that we are ever going to see Todd perform again for NCFC at the level he did for the last couple of years, so probably best for both parties for him to move on and try and get back on track somewhere else - and Newcastle's probably not a bad place to do it.

I would sell Him to anyone just to get him off the books

have been saying for ages he is a wrongun and once again I have been proven correct 

it’s hard being me being right all the time 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

for 25m+ yes.  Not 15-20m.

Who in their right mind is spending 15-20 on Cantwell, let alone 25+? >15 and snap their arm off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have never been his biggest fan especially compared to some on here but let's be honest, Newcastle will be looking at higher targets than Cantwell. They will unlike us, not be looking at resale prices. They will want players for now who are ready to go. They will not care if they are young with room to improve, they will happily Chuck 15 million plus on a 30 year old who is ready and able to keep them up. 

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Who in their right mind is spending 15-20 on Cantwell, let alone 25+? >15 and snap their arm off.

Well his value is 15-20m, he won't go for any less than that.  Transfer fee is not determined on how disappointed we are as fans with his performances, it's about age, being English and his potential.  For a top club he's a steal.

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Well his value is 15-20m, he won't go for any less than that.  Transfer fee is not determined on how disappointed we are as fans with his performances, it's about age, being English and his potential.  For a top club he's a steal.

Why is his value 15-20 and who valued him at that? I could value my house at 10,000,000 but nobody is going to pay me that for it.

Don't care where he goes, just get rid. A player who so obviously doesn't want to be here and couldn't make it any clearer or more obvious, but still seems to get so much support just because he's a "local lad"

We need funds to bring in players and the only way we are doing it is by selling cantwell. Well then it is a good move, as he is not pushing our starting 11 and he may make Newcastle a little bit stronger, but he has to get fit and TBH Newcastle are going to buy players now anyway. So why not make it a player not in our first 11 so we can bring a player in who will be in our first 11.

Edited by smooth

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Why is his value 15-20 and who valued him at that? I could value my house at 10,000,000 but nobody is going to pay me that for it.

I just said it's based on nationality, age and potential.  15-20m is reduced value, he should be higher.  As your house is based on location, size and beds - you don't just pluck a number out of the air.

Most importantly, it's based on what demand there is of course, but we aren't letting him go for less than 15m as it would be financially dumb.  Likewise if you had two buyers for your house at a below average  market value (Which Todd is) it then inflates the price.

Hence why Newcastle interest should see a premium.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I would sell Him to anyone just to get him off the books

have been saying for ages he is a wrongun and once again I have been proven correct 

it’s hard being me being right all the time 

Your final sentence seems to be a falsidical paradox. To be grammatically correct this should read "It's hard being me and being right all the time."

Just saying. 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I just said it's based on nationality, age and potential.  15-20m is reduced value, he should be higher.  As your house is based on location, size and beds - you don't just pluck a number out of the air.

Most importantly, it's based on what demand there is of course, but we aren't letting him go for less than 15m as it would be financially dumb.  Likewise if you had two buyers for your house at a below average  market value (Which Todd is) it then inflates the price.

Hence why Newcastle interest should see a premium.

Your house still keeps you dry and warm. If Todd was a house at the moment the roof has blown off and water is getting in. The longer it goes on the more problems it will cause. His value is dropping. Not to mention your house I guess is free hold  and will always be yours. With Todd we are selling a lease and as the lease comes to an end the value drops alarmingly. 

5 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

We have to sell him on Potential, not achievements. A big shame. There is a good player there. Very sad. Hopefully does not come back to bite us

Good post. Great player. No idea what’s happened to his head. But it’s gone and it’s not coming back. It pains me, as it’s Newcastle. 

4 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

We have to sell him on Potential, not achievements. A big shame. There is a good player there. Very sad. Hopefully does not come back to bite us

Sadly potential is all we have as form and attitude are going to seriously dent the price. I honestly don't see us getting more than 10 million up front with a bit in add ons. Would we be happy if we brought him for 25 million. Yes Newcastle have money to burn but that does not mean they will be as bad at it as Everton. 

Either he’s unable to play due to ongoing medical and/or psychological issues, or he’s deliberately being a silly petulant child.  Whichever it is, he’s no use to us.  Sell him to anyone foolish enough to want to buy him.  

He'll be worth more this window than at any time we're in the Championship. I'd sell. Smith appears to want us either pressing high or in certain games sitting deep and playing more on the counter, he's useless in both of those systems because he doesn't work off the ball and slows the play down too much. 

27 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Your final sentence seems to be a falsidical paradox. To be grammatically correct this should read "It's hard being me and being right all the time."

Just saying. 😀

That's well over Freddos level of comprehension,  intelligence  and well humanity, basically. 

Yes. On current form it strengthens us, weakens them and provides team-strengthening money.

I think all the rumours are just Cantwells agent drumming up attention. I think as s club we would also like to shift him for many reasons, however I honestly don’t see anyone putting a bid in unless it’s ridiculously low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

He could house share with Jacob Murphy & Jamal Lewis.

I'm sure Netflix would sign up for a TV series. 

Jermaine Jenas as voice over.  Could you imagine!!! Probably call it "Geordie 'Score'" lol 🙂

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

He could house share with Jacob Murphy & Jamal Lewis.

I'm sure Netflix would sign up for a TV series. 

Or at worst they could split the monthly Netflix cost three ways!