Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Christian Eriksen? ...maybe?

"Heart of London" eh? 😆

Ok, London is a pull, but if he lived in Essex like most (ex) Spurs players it'll probably take him as long to get to Hounslow (Bees training ground) as it would to Colney. Ok, the Danish manager is a link but I dont think that matters too much in today heavily international game. I think "a million years" is a tad rich when comparing the stature of our club to them...but whatever fella, you've said this a few times now.

You can get back to you job now. You do have one right? or are you listed as "profesional pink un commenter" on linkedin?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

"Heart of London" eh? 😆

Ok, London is a pull, but if he lived in Essex like most (ex) Spurs players it'll probably take him as long to get to Hounslow (Bees training ground) as it would to Colney. Ok, the Danish manager is a link but I dont think that matters too much in today heavily international game. I think "a million years" is a tad rich when comparing the stature of our club to them...but whatever fella, you've said this a few times now.

You can get back to you job now. You do have one right? or are you listed as "profesional pink un commenter" on linkedin?  

Do you really think the manager being Danish had nothing to do with him wanting to join them?

3 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

"Heart of London" eh? 😆

I'd think Brentford/Fulham/Chelsea players would live on the western side and not Essex, but could readily be wrong. Probably around Denham or Gerrards Cross.

Could have had an effect sure, but I still fail to see what he woiuld have "never joined us in a million years", when they arent too different. The Danish links would help sure, but its not a seismic shift.

Probably more to do with wages and the fact their owner, however small beans in "modern soccer" terms, is still worth x10 ours.

Who was our last top level (for us) marquee signing, as in an established player that wasn't part risk? Bassong? Hucks? 🙃

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd think Brentford/Fulham/Chelsea players would live on the western side and not Essex, but could readily be wrong. Probably around Denham or Gerrards Cross.

yep, and the Surrey belt, but I thought he still had his house from when at the Spuds.

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

yep, and the Surrey belt, but I thought he still had his house from when at the Spuds.

He'd probably be renting that out and making a pretty penny off the back of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Who was our last top level (for us) marquee signing, as in an established player that wasn't part risk? Bassong? Hucks? 🙃

Hate to say it, but wasn't it Naismith?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hate to say it, but wasn't it Naismith?

Naismith cost us £8 million and was under a bloated contract for 3.5 years as a totally failing player (2 of which he was on loan to Hearts I believe but god knows if we even had his wages covered - probably not 100%). 

Can't really see much a comparison with that and a 6-month deal of a free agent, Brentford have probably chucked a few million at him plus wages but if it doesn't go well by summer then there is no obligation to be hamstrung by him for three subsequent years...

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Naismith cost us £8 million and was under a bloated contract for 3.5 years as a totally failing player (2 of which he was on loan to Hearts I believe but god knows if we even had his wages covered - probably not 100%). 

Can't really see much a comparison with that and a 6-month deal of a free agent, Brentford have probably chucked a few million at him plus wages but if it doesn't go well by summer then there is no obligation to be hamstrung by him for three subsequent years...

I agree, not much of a comparison to a six-month free agent - I was just  answering Spencer's point

36 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Could have had an effect sure, but I still fail to see what he woiuld have "never joined us in a million years", when they arent too different. The Danish links would help sure, but its not a seismic shift.

Probably more to do with wages and the fact their owner, however small beans in "modern soccer" terms, is still worth x10 ours.

Turns out that Frank was his coach when he was a teenager so makes total sense that unless we offered silly money then he wouldn't ever have chosen us over Brentford...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree, not much of a comparison to a six-month free agent - I was just  answering Spencer's point

Sorry Badger - I should've quoted @spencer 1970, as it was him who reacted with exclaim to your mentioning of Naismith.

The Naismith signing definitely burnt our hands but there were lots of pretty obvious things about that transfer which set it up to really kick us when we were down (when it didn't come off). I.e. signing a 30-31 year old with no resale value and his best years at a bigger club in Everton way behind him, as well as not writing in sufficient wage reduction clauses for relegation. Too pretty big no nos, but not something which should stop us making a signing like Brentford have in Erikssen, or another 'marquee' type permanent signing.