Load of rubbish basically padding out a puff piece to critise the fans in general after those at Palace gave Billy Gilmour a hard time. Same mantra we hear all the time in continuance of him being a top player.

Did you hear the Chelsea fans said about Saul - utter hypocrisy

Sadly all fans (me included) make comments about football player and how to improve teams without thinking about the individuals.  Sometimes that boils over and is chanted which is when the media cotton onto it.

I have heard the fans of every club be mean about players and they all have scapegoats.  This is only being treated differently because of Billy’s reputation, and the media believe NCFC fans should be delighted that Billy is playing for us for a year.

It’s a bit biased, but some fair points.  For the life of me I haven’t understood the level of vitriol Gilmour has attracted, it has been extraordinarily over the top.  Perhaps some of us were expecting too much of him and can only see his faults. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

We have come a long way from the days when Russell Martin got dogs abuse from the stands. 😜

I said it elsewhere, don’t like the way she’s framed it but read the whole article there’s a fair amount of truth IMO and similar arguments seen on here about this season. I also don’t understand the abuse of Gilmour, it’s massively counterproductive to target our own player like that (regardless if he’s on loan) and potentially hugely damaging for future loans.

Big clubs have routinely given every single one of their players and staff dogs abuse for YEARS 

we are Norwich, we aren’t allowed, we are an inconvenience, the hacks can’t make any money out of us and want us gone.

I hate this league. Absolutely hate everything about. Including the hack journalists baiting Chelsea fans for clicks.

• Like 2

As with all things football, it isn't completely clear cut. The player has (imo) not come anywhere close to living up to the hype, even with Smith building basically the entire team around him.

That said, the abuse is counterproductive and unwarranted. He's been no worse than the rest of the midfield and abusing any player achieves absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

Well we're certainly not wanted in this league are we?

I'll honestly be happier with us being a mediocre championship side if this is the alternative.

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Killer line- the club should be asking questions of the insular model adopted by the club…not knocking Gilmour. 

“You’ll take your beatings off the back of billionaires and you’ll sit there and say nothing”

end of the day when Burnley scored today a Leeds fan threw a bottle at the Burnley fans. Nothing will be said. We got “caught” saying a bad word against precious Billy and we are public enemy number one.

And now any dissent will be looked for in the next game. We are now not allowed to criticise a player that has consistently underperformed across 2 managers. I’m sorry but f”&k that. I’ll criticise who I want.

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Killer line- the club should be asking questions of the insular model adopted by the club…not knocking Gilmour. 

It is an interesting phrase ‘insular’ that I could not get my head around.  I am assuming she means we should be more focused on other clubs interests (so improving Billy) than we are on NCFC’s interests.  Or is she suggesting we spend more money than can pay for based on our income so we compete with Chelsea, i.e. ignoring the internal economics and principles of football so we can compete.  Other than that one phrase I thought it was an interesting piece. 
This season is pretty tough to take.

5 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

It is an interesting phrase ‘insular’ that I could not get my head around.  I am assuming she means we should be more focused on other clubs interests (so improving Billy) than we are on NCFC’s interests.  Or is she suggesting we spend more money than can pay for based on our income so we compete with Chelsea, i.e. ignoring the internal economics and principles of football so we can compete.  Other than that one phrase I thought it was an interesting piece. 

How dare we prioritise our own contracted players. Don’t we know we are there to benefit the big boys? We forget ourselves.

I don’t say this often but I hope Liverpool tear Chelsea apart today and they all criticise their players, as is their right to do as a big team.

10 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I suspect insular is more the unwillingness of Delia & Michael to accept outside investment, to do things any differently from the model they stick rigidly to. I am not saying that they are wrong but I think it’s what she is criticising.

I don’t really see how it could relate to players at all tbh, nobody thinks anyone should care about other clubs interests, certainly not a team like Chelsea. 

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I suspect insular is more the unwillingness of Delia & Michael to accept outside investment, to do things any differently from the model they stick rigidly to. I am not saying that they are wrong but I think it’s what she is criticising.

I don’t really see how it could relate to players at all tbh, nobody thinks anyone should care about other clubs interests, certainly not a team like Chelsea. 

Yes this is my take on the context of insular.  Fickle journalism though - clearly the summer signings were a gamble albeit Farke and Webber felt they would add that quality we were missing in the 19/20 season but had they pulled off then there wouldn’t be these suggestions of our self funding model and our strict belief in maintaining this being inward looking/insular. Seriously the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about - only have to look at Portsmouth and others as prime examples of getting it wrong and the long term damage caused.

We all ultimately want to know whether the self funding model is ultimately never going to work and restrict our ability to sustain and compete at the top level or is it a case that we had a coaching team led by Farke and a recruitment by Webber which just hasn’t truly understood how to genuinely strengthen us with the pace and power that we do obviously lack particularly in midfield and a lack of another quality type of goal threat to compete with Pukki. Sargeant was never going to be it as his game has never been a profilic striker 

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Exactly, it is just an odd phrase.  i can’t see the owners of Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City relinquishing control so other people can invest.  What she is really saying is the only measure of success is existing in the premiership, and to do that you need to be filthy rich, so if you are not filthy rich step aside and let someone who is control your club. 

I love NCFC, and I would support us if we were playing in the national league, hence why I am never too rude about Ipswich’s league position as what goes around comes around.  Consequently I actually love what our owners have done for the club, and I thought they did have a go at staying up.  We traded Rashica for Buendia, Normann for Skipp, Sargent for Hugill and on top that bought in PLM, Gilmour, and Kabak in to give us more experience and options in the squad.

it has not worked, but it is inaccurate to say they didn’t try.

I really wish they *would* get him out of our club. While I don't condone personal abuse, the fans are venting their feelings in the same way they do when a manager has gone past their sell by date.

Gilmour is causing more damage each time he is picked. The is absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing to play him. We need to be getting our team sorted for an assault on the Championship.

The absolute worst case scenario is that he actually becomes the best player in the team and contributes a bunch of assists on the remaining matches. Then we'd find it even harder to build a team without him.

Skipp served a purpose because we may well not have been promoted without him. Gilmour does nothing for us. We aren't staying up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I really wish they *would* get him out of our club. While I don't condone personal abuse, the fans are venting their feelings in the same way they do when a manager has gone past their sell by date.

Gilmour is causing more damage each time he is picked. The is absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing to play him. We need to be getting our team sorted for an assault on the Championship.

The absolute worst case scenario is that he actually becomes the best player in the team and contributes a bunch of assists on the remaining matches. Then we'd find it even harder to build a team without him.

Skipp served a purpose because we may well not have been promoted without him. Gilmour does nothing for us. We aren't staying up. 

Chelsea loaned him to a premier league team and he wasn’t ready. They should have sent him to a championship side with a tub of weight gain 3000.

his lack of development this year is their fault.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

That is spot on, except on one point.

Skipp was amazing, but actually we needed our own player in there, one who was going to still be here the following season, especially if Webber had promised Buendia and Cantwell that they could go once they got us promoted.  I would genuinely not loan players into the club, unless it is to cover a short term issue.  Get the squad right and rely on it, then use injuries as the opportunity to blood young players.

Edited by Newtopia

Typical MSM big-club biased b*****ks. ‘We’ should be questioning the ‘insular model?  Let’s pointedly not mention the recent announcement about Abramovich funding Chelsea to the tune of £1billion. Yet ‘we’ should be pressing the club to compete by hounding out the owners or spending money we haven’t got (as said above the experience of Bolton, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Derby etc etc proves the fallacy of doing so). Sorry, but ‘we’ are not the problem here, your beloved Chelsea et al are the problem with football in this country, the sooner the ‘big 6’ F-off to the ESL the better (IMO). It is a miracle we are even in the PL, not acknowledged therein in any way of course, yet we are supposed to be thankful to the likes of ‘Dirty Russian Money’ FC that they would even consider loaning us their player. Abysmal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Load of rubbish basically padding out a puff piece to critise the fans in general after those at Palace gave Billy Gilmour a hard time. Same mantra we hear all the time in continuance of him being a top player.

This. A load of woke nonsense. 

"Annoying fans!"

If she'd of watched most Norwich games this season she'd understand Norwich fans better!

Even then I'm not sure if she'd completely get it cause she sounds like a modern day football observer who acts as if football never existed pre 1992 and that theirs no football outside the top 4!

I remember when Roeder got in Keiron Gibbs from Arsenal on loan and he made Gilmour look like Maradona, yet many people were defending him cause he comes from Arsenal!

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Ignoring the noise is a fine mantra when you are right. 

It’s a little less effective when you might not be. 

Do you know yourself when that is?

Parma 

There's noise all the time.

Who knows when the noise is right? 

(You know - the kind of noise which says things like 'Harry Kane' won't make a footballer as long as he's got a hole in his *rse')

I tell you what will be interesting. Any defence of the Norwich fans from local journalists considering they’ve had to watch the absolute dross we all have all season or is “operation: blame the fans” going to continue all season?

We are about to get thrown under the bus guys. It’s our fault they can’t score or defend. It’s our fault Josh Sargent nutmegged himself.

prepare yourself for damage control the likes of which you’ve never seen.

• Like 1

The club is being torn apart both inside and out and where are out Board of Directors, nowhere to be seen

what are they saying about their dreadful performance this season, what went badly wrong in the summer and what are they planning to do about it

we have heard a word! And don’t get me started on what Nepotism Tom is doing at this difficult time 

• Like 1