Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Knighthood For Blair

39 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think you are rather overlooking the fact that Brown, who has had a great deal of genuine recognition of his work between 2008 & 2010 which is far more meaningful than faux honours, was Blair's Chancellor and part of the government that you take such a dim view of - a rather one-dimensional view IMO if you actually look at their achievements as well as their failures.

In addition, though Brown was undoubtedly a very good Chancellor (although not good enough to see the crash coming), he was a cr@p PM when he took over from Blair and also played a significant part in turning this country into a one party state.

Like you (I think), I think the honours system is an embarrasing farce but even if I didn't I don't see a case for giving Gordon a gong.

Of course Brown was part of Blair's government. Lets face it, Blairs love of the media and spotlight was the main reason he got the leadership. Brown was quite willing to allow this but wanted to move the party from the Blair right centre to left centre. And there were many deep arguments in Cabinet and Prescott as deputy leader had to referee many a dispute.

You say Brown was a poor PM. Yet at one time he had a massive 10 point lead over the opposition. If he had gone to the country to back him things may well have turned out different. But because of his lack of charisma at the despatch box or microphone, and his desire to think things through and then think through them again to make sure, he was seen as a poor leader.

Could he have seen the crash coming? Probably not. Most in the US didn't se it. And he had set up the FSA to oversee and control and regulate the banks. Maybe that was his mistake. As an economist he probably might have been better being proactive.

But the steps he took to save the banking system and ultimately decades not years of austerity is not to be underestimated. Even the Tories reluctantly  admit he did was what necessary.

But when the spiv Cameron came along with his I don't need notes and aren't I clever attitude, as usual, the voters of this nation fell for all the media drivel that Labour had caused the crash and only a Tory government could correct it. And Brown was unable to respond the way the voters wanted.

As far as this country goes I think the winner of I'm a Celebrity should be PM every five years. It has beggar all to do with ability or doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Blair did well with Kosovo and Northern Ireland, but interventions after that were atrocious, culminating in the pack of lies and obsequious ar-se licking that took us into the second Iraq War for basically no reason whatsoever apart from "Maddass Insane bad!"

George Michael saw him and Dubya coming from ten miles away with the video for Shoot The Dog.

After the troughing, bent ‘as a Nine Bob Note’, MP sleaze scandal, defensive Sir (wtff!) John Major (The Grey One) - I finally voted Labour….. Three years later Bliar had taken my guns away, accepted the Lisbon Accord without referring it to Parliament or a Referendum and accepted that there would be an influx of Eastern Europeans due to Freedom of Movement - something that joining The Common Market in 1973 could never have envisaged.

And then Iraq.

The bloke and his missus are prize C * N T z

Knighthood? - on a par with Jimmy Savilles!

• Like 1