Robornio

January targets

Amadou is out of contract in the summer and according to transfermrkt his current value is 2.25m. He barely had an opportunity to do the job he was bought in for with us last time. 

In order of priority 

1 a big, strong, athletic CDM who can do the defensive job we need then be developed 

2 a big, strong, athletic CDM who can do the defensive job we need then be developed 

That will do!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

In order of priority 

1 a big, strong, athletic CDM who can do the defensive job we need then be developed 

2 a big, strong, athletic CDM who can do the defensive job we need then be developed 

That will do!

If we got one it would allow Gilmour to play to his strengths. Could also see Normann along side a CDM and performing to a high standard. This would allow our attacking players a platform to be able to, well, attack. Maybe our fortunes would improve. 

A big big transfer window Webber has to sell all that he bought in the summer and replace them with better quality

that should be the minimum expectation of him after the disaster of a summer transfer window 

let’s see if he is hot air or can actually deliver 

1 hour ago, Bluefloyd said:

Amadou is out of contract in the summer and according to transfermrkt his current value is 2.25m. He barely had an opportunity to do the job he was bought in for with us last time. 

Not sure he would want to come back (And I do feel he only wants to play in top divisons) but he is exactly the kind of defensive midfielder we needright now

Don’t matter what forward we bring in it could be Ronaldinho they wouldn’t score in this team

5 hours ago, NFN FC said:

If we got one it would allow Gilmour to play to his strengths. Could also see Normann along side a CDM and performing to a high standard. This would allow our attacking players a platform to be able to, well, attack. Maybe our fortunes would improve. 

Exackly!!!

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

A big big transfer window Webber has to sell all that he bought in the summer and replace them with better quality

that should be the minimum expectation of him after the disaster of a summer transfer window 

let’s see if he is hot air or can actually deliver 

Noooo!    They wouldn’t sell right now but with better CDMs they might actually do a lot better - have faith!    

8 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

I really don’t think we’ll be signing anyone unless we sell a player or 2 to be completely honest, and I don’t see that happening. But if we do, I’d expect it to be a loan from a foreign club as we have 1 more foreign loan spot free. No idea who that might involve as it’s always hard to predict loans, but it’s glaringly obvious that we need a CDM and a ST. 

Ben Brereton Diaz would be an incredible signing, but as someone said, we’d need 20 million, if not more, to pry him away from a Blackburn side challenging for automatic promotion. Won’t be happening I’m afraid. Besides, we already have nearly 20 million quid’s worth of attacking talent in Sargent and Tzolis, right?... 

£20m? Could we lend them Idah as a make weight? Save on wages save on transfer fees. If Brereton Diaz makes it in the last 6 months we’ll sell for £30m plus. If not he can fire us to The Championship promotion next season.

6 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

In order of priority 

That will do!

What about Jake Livermore? He’s a large nuisance in DM with PL experience? 

• Like 1

We have 2 problems that needs to be addressed we can’t defend and we can’t score 

those are the issues that need to be addressed in january

I don’t hold out much hope 

I was just thinking that because Webber has done his best work without much of a budget and found some genuine PL class players like Pukki/Buendia/Krul under these constraints that maybe we can sign the 4 or 5 new players we need if we go for some cheap, obscure gambles again. 

I know Brexit has closed off a lot of the European leagues for us but maybe we could target South America for some attacking talent, we could send Williams, Gilmour and Kabak back and use those loan spots for some senior backup options in midfield and defensive positions because as has been proven already most PL clubs reserve team players are better than what we have in midfield and we could give them some game time.  I'd imagine whoever is the 4th or 5th choice CM at top half level clubs in their leagues around Europe would be much better than what we have already and we could look at a few gambles with players who supposedly have a bad attitude (Smith is a great man manager) or patchy injury records (maybe we'll get lucky)

Basically do it on the cheap again, but that's where Webber shines isn't it?

14 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I was just thinking that because Webber has done his best work without much of a budget and found some genuine PL class players like Pukki/Buendia/Krul under these constraints that maybe we can sign the 4 or 5 new players we need if we go for some cheap, obscure gambles again. 

I know Brexit has closed off a lot of the European leagues for us but maybe we could target South America for some attacking talent, we could send Williams, Gilmour and Kabak back and use those loan spots for some senior backup options in midfield and defensive positions because as has been proven already most PL clubs reserve team players are better than what we have in midfield and we could give them some game time.  I'd imagine whoever is the 4th or 5th choice CM at top half level clubs in their leagues around Europe would be much better than what we have already and we could look at a few gambles with players who supposedly have a bad attitude (Smith is a great man manager) or patchy injury records (maybe we'll get lucky)

Basically do it on the cheap again, but that's where Webber shines isn't it?

Travel restrictions have seemingly meant we can't properly scout such players. And we can I think only send loan players back if their clubs agree.

Sell max and Todd first. 

Definitely would go all out for Diaz. (More chance of hell freezing over though) Adebayo could be a option instead? 

I'd also raid Blackburn again for their CB Lenihan

Finally Matt Grimes and/or Oliver ntcham from Swansea. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

18 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I want to see us add 2-3 big characters that revel in a backs to the wall scrap. Right now their temperament is almost as important as their ability. (Disclaimer: I did say almost).

But please for the love of God, a quality DM and a genuine competitor for Pukki (if he’s staying even).

Quality DMs are like gold dust, as are 13/14 goal a season strikers for small premier league sides. I cannot for the life of me see us having the money for those kinds of players unless Max and Cantwell go for good money.

If I'm honest, the only way I can see us staying up is if Webber pulls a couple of rabbits from hats and I'm no longer convinced he can do that at this level.

Finding disproportionately valuable players for the championship is possible, I just don't think the number of players available globally, who qualify for a work permit and aren't already known enough to be out of our price range is there for this kind of strategy.

35 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Quality DMs are like gold dust, as are 13/14 goal a season strikers for small premier league sides. I cannot for the life of me see us having the money for those kinds of players unless Max and Cantwell go for good money.

If I'm honest, the only way I can see us staying up is if Webber pulls a couple of rabbits from hats and I'm no longer convinced he can do that at this level.

Finding disproportionately valuable players for the championship is possible, I just don't think the number of players available globally, who qualify for a work permit and aren't already known enough to be out of our price range is there for this kind of strategy.

Agreed.

We are not going to get anyone whom is obvious from the prem.  We are so bad atm no point spoiling next seasons promotion possibilities by blowing the budget.

However.... i think this years Prem X1 may well loose against last years Champs X1.

So for me we need a DM and a fast striker for next year anyhow so may as well buy them now with an eye on next season in the champs if at all possible.

If thats possible who knows its going downhill so fast I would be considering a signing just to prevent the season becoming a toxic nightmare.

Edited by Fromage Frais

19 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

In order of priority 

That will do!

What about Jake Livermore? He’s a large nuisance in DM with PL experience? 

• Like 1

Celtic have brought a striker from Japan who’s been banging the goals in since he arrived and just signed 3 more in the transfer window. Maybe with the new trade deal done with Japan, maybe Japanese players is worth having a look at?

With Japan players comes Japanese interest and Japanese money. 😉

4 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

We have 2 problems that needs to be addressed we can’t defend and we can’t score 

No hope at all - plan for the Camps with a team that has the backbone needed for a PL effort in a couple of years time would be a good finish to the season. How you protect the 'losers mentality'' for next season will be the key to DS management IMO

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

Celtic have brought a striker from Japan who’s been banging the goals in since he arrived and just signed 3 more in the transfer window. Maybe with the new trade deal done with Japan, maybe Japanese players is worth having a look at?

Ahh goals in the SPL, a fantastic sign of who will thrive at premier league level. 

Sorry to say we are outclassed in midfield, Too timid knocked off ball too easily. Need two big strong guys to allow our faster guys to move forward. Need big strong guy in opponents box to help Pukki. We do not seem to be playing as a team more individuals which is why we make too many mistakes.Bring Mario back from loan

Agree this is a critical window. If Webber is truly pulling the strings he will buy too, he's off anyway so what possible advantage is there for him to sit while we sink with a whimper? 

I think we are due some big changes, hopefully before we sell the likes of Max and Todd too, otherwise we will overpay. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

The 2 problems are Smith & Jones. 

Loftus-Cheek appears to be heading for the exit door at Chelsea. If we could create a vacancy in the loan department I think he would be a good addition to the midfield 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

I saw the guy (Furuhashi) in the flesh vs. Ferencváros in the EL this season. Scored and had an assist. He looked a cool cat, with good runs, a bit like Pukki in terms of playing style. 

Bradley Johnson 250k from Blackburn. 34 y/o. Experienced. Might not have the legs he use to however sit in front of the back line, break up the play, pass it. Keep us in games for more than the first 20 minutes we seem to manage at the moment and chip in with a few 25 yard screamers. Stuff of dreams or desparation!? 

The player I associate with Dean Smith, more than any other, is Romaine Sawyers. He was key at Walsall and at Brentford. Currently, he seems to not not fit in with how West Brom want to develop. 

He has a lovely style and oozes class, but he's a player who fits in best with a side that has a lot of the ball.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/romaine-sawyers-aston-villa-transfer-15681037

• Like 2

What a terrible week for the club, results and performances awful, fans despicable and this forum has had a shocker…. 

Now there are calls for El Ghazi!   Dear oh dear, what on earth are people on.   The wife is a Villa fan, we watch them regularly and call him El Khazi!   Honestly, apart from the odd moment of brilliance he is generally awful and extremely inconsistent… he is definitely not what we need right now.    Do your due diligence if you’re going to suggest someone!    

Also, he plays as a wide forward, on the evidence so far, how do you propose we get the ball to him… we’ve struggled all season to find Rashica, Tzolis and Cantwell.    2 x CDMs is what we need!