Robornio

January targets

So, to generate a bit of optimistic chatter on the forum (and hopefully less despair and negativity), who would you like us to sign in January?

I’d love the board to give Dean some financial backing to at least try and recruit players that will make a difference (however unlikely). Ben Brereton Diaz is an interesting option – has the build of a striker and the touch and agility of a winger. Scored 20+ goals already this season. Reminds me of when we went BIG for Dean Ashton, having scored a similar number for Crewe that season. Although, we are looking at £15m+, I think it’s a gamble worth looking at if possible. 

Another DM is someone we clearly lack (stating the obvious). 😄

Any thoughts? Happy New Year to you all, anyhow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robornio said:

So, to generate a bit of optimistic chatter on the forum (and hopefully less despair and negativity), who would you like us to sign in January?

I’d love the board to give Dean some financial backing to at least try and recruit players that will make a difference (however unlikely). Ben Brereton Diaz is an interesting option – has the build of a striker and the touch and agility of a winger. Scored 20+ goals already this season. Reminds me of when we went BIG for Dean Ashton, having scored a similar number for Crewe that season. Although, we are looking at £15m+, I think it’s a gamble worth looking at if possible. 

Happy New Year

A DEFENSIVE  Mid. Is a must who?

DIAZ would love to see him at Norwich 

I think 🤔 he will be nearer 20m to be honest. 

We can dream though. It doesn't cost anything to dream. But as I said priority is for a strong 💪  defensive midfielder and then we might progress into a team that's capable of competing 

• Like 1

It's either spend big or spend nothing. At this point, I don't know what I'd like to see. We can either go big at the risk of still getting relegated or accept defeat and play our youth and strengthen the squad for the champs. There's no in between

• Like 1

I doubt we'll get a DM. The need for one has been obvious for so long, but it seems that Webber's spreadsheet doesn't show this so we'll probably get another three wingers because their stats look good.

6 minutes ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

2 6ft plus defensive midfielders and a striker that's all.

Otbc

Sorted. Where's the problem . Let's get after it then. Over to you Mr yo yo Webber if you really are true to at least attempt to stay in the top ✈ flight. There is no alternative to the situation we find ourselves in at this point in time

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I doubt we'll get a DM. The need for one has been obvious for so long, but it seems that Webber's spreadsheet doesn't show this so we'll probably get another three wingers because their stats look good.

That spreadsheet looks decidedly dodgy. 

I’d be happy with the El Ghazi rumours. 

But we need a big physical CDM and someone who can at least look like competition for Pukki.

Elijah Adebayo would be my No1 target for a striker although looks like Newcastle are interested so no chance if true.

CDM is the really tricky one, we failed in the summer to find one (if we were even looking?) and I can’t see an obvious affordable solution. We desperately need someone though, I hope there’s a big list on Webber’s whiteboard somewhere.

Lewis O’Brien? Looks like Leeds have him in their sights.

If this really is a quiet window as has been muted by Club and Pinkun my view on Webber will 180 quickly. IMO this is the most important window of his tenure. He needs to bring in 2-3 players, the right players, and make up for the Summers mistakes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’d be happy with the El Ghazi rumours. 

But we need a big physical CDM and someone who can at least look like competition for Pukki.

Elijah Adebayo would be my No1 target for a striker although looks like Newcastle are interested so no chance if true.

CDM is the really tricky one, we failed in the summer to find one (if we were even looking?) and I can’t see an obvious affordable solution. We desperately need someone though, I hope there’s a big list on Webber’s whiteboard somewhere.

Lewis O’Brien? Looks like Leeds have him in their sights.

If this really is a quiet window as has been muted by Club and Pinkun my view on Webber will 180 quickly. IMO this is the most important window of his tenure. He needs to bring in 2-3 players, the right players, and make up for the Summers mistakes.

If this really is a quiet window as has been muted by Club and Pinkun my view on Webber will 180 quickly. IMO this is the most important window of his tenure. He needs to bring in 2-3 players, the right players, and make up for the Summers mistakes.

without a doubt . This is make or break. You will then see if the truth has been spoken about wanting to remain in the Premier  league. 

Players for the Here and Now. No ifs no buts.

If we are going to bother then spend big and get someone for the here and now, not someone who might be good in 2 or 3 years time. We've tried that and it doesn't work for the Premier League.

Otherwise don't bother, accept the inevitable relegation, huge clear out in the summer and rebuild.

I'm expecting the latter. 

We’re tight with money at the best of times and 1/16 to drop. If Aarons and Cantwell leave expect half of that money at tops to be spent on fresh stock. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we are going to bother then spend big and get someone for the here and now, not someone who might be good in 2 or 3 years time. We've tried that and it doesn't work for the Premier League.

Otherwise don't bother, accept the inevitable relegation, huge clear out in the summer and rebuild.

I'm expecting the latter. 

Think it could be interesting 🤔.  The here and now is the reality for 2022.. nothing else will do. We shall see very soon what integrity if any comes from the people holding the purse strings.

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We’re tight with money at the best of times and 1/16 to drop. If Aarons and Cantwell leave expect half of that money at tops to be spent on fresh stock. 

If A and C go I would expect all that whatever the final total is to be reinvested into players. This is the make or break time . The final countdown. 

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

If A and C go I would expect all that whatever the final total is to be reinvested into players. This is the make or break time . The final countdown. 

Well that would be a first but don’t hold your breath. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Well that would be a first but don’t hold your breath. 

New Year . New first. You never know. Without some serious thinking 🤔 out of the 📦 box . Nothing will change . So serious mindset 👏 for attempting to stay in the top ✈ flight has to be executed . IF and I mean IF that's what the plan was at the beginning of this campaign. 

Integrity is waiting to be verified very soon

I really don’t think we’ll be signing anyone unless we sell a player or 2 to be completely honest, and I don’t see that happening. But if we do, I’d expect it to be a loan from a foreign club as we have 1 more foreign loan spot free. No idea who that might involve as it’s always hard to predict loans, but it’s glaringly obvious that we need a CDM and a ST. 

Ben Brereton Diaz would be an incredible signing, but as someone said, we’d need 20 million, if not more, to pry him away from a Blackburn side challenging for automatic promotion. Won’t be happening I’m afraid. Besides, we already have nearly 20 million quid’s worth of attacking talent in Sargent and Tzolis, right?... 

1 hour ago, Robornio said:

4 minutes ago, BB said:

Daryl Dike could be a sensible target. 

WBA bound if rumours are to be believed.

1 hour ago, Robornio said:

Brereton is definitely going to cost over £20m, especially with where they are in the table.

5 minutes ago, Mengo said:

New Year . New first. You never know. Without some serious thinking 🤔 out of the 📦 box . Nothing will change . So serious mindset 👏 for attempting to stay in the top ✈ flight has to be executed . IF and I mean IF that's what the plan was at the beginning of this campaign. 

Integrity is waiting to be verified very soon

The model now is the same as it’s ever been. Produce talent other teams want, sell to balance the books and spend a fraction of it. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The model now is the same as it’s ever been. Produce talent other teams want, sell to balance the books and spend a fraction of it. 

The feeder club to the billionaires play things. AH well. Cheerio premier league.

Oh and give generous yearly salarys to non playing staff. Nice job.

Edited by Mengo

It does not make sense to spend in January unless we are certain of the attributes of recruits.  If there is any money and that is doubtful wait until Summer and spend it wisely unlike last Summer and get players Smith wants.

There was the Uhre rumour. It’s a Canary Call classic in the making. Considering a lot of folks from our fine county start a sentence with this lad’s name. 

And to be honest I think we could do with a tall striker (6’2”) who is also lightening quick. It’s a big step up in competition but this season has taught us how diminishing it can be with a one dimensional striker, although we love Pukki, and when he’s “on” NCFC are “on”. He hasn’t got the service required this season, and that one dimension can be a stumbling block when there’s a cross on but out wide player can’t swing one in. 
Uhre, maybe we need to sign Uhre. 

Cantwell out, El Ghazi in

Also Ben Brereton is a no go. Zero chance of him coming here. Linked to Leeds and West Ham for a 20 mill plus transfer. Not only that, but he want's to play in the Prem. Why in the hell would he join us when he has those two after him?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

It's either spend big or spend nothing. At this point, I don't know what I'd like to see. We can either go big at the risk of still getting relegated or accept defeat and play our youth and strengthen the squad for the champs. There's no in between

I think that is right and unless Webber has been lying to us, again, then we don't have an option to spend big in this window anyway.

In any case I can't see the point of spending big in pursuit of a minute chance of survival unless it is on players who might make an immediate difference to us in the EPL but who are also prepared to come down to the Championship with us if we don't survive - don't see too many players fitting that profile.

I want to see us add 2-3 big characters that revel in a backs to the wall scrap. Right now their temperament is almost as important as their ability. (Disclaimer: I did say almost).

But please for the love of God, a quality DM and a genuine competitor for Pukki (if he’s staying even).

3 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I want to see us add 2-3 big characters that revel in a backs to the wall scrap. Right now their temperament is almost as important as their ability. (Disclaimer: I did say almost).

But please for the love of God, a quality DM and a genuine competitor for Pukki (if he’s staying even).

Big charecters? Dan Burn, we need you

2 hours ago, Robornio said:

More chance of Cameron Diaz