Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Believe in Smith, he will transform us...

5 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm a long way from believing at the moment, but he deserves a fair chance. I find the idea of a team of 6' 4" lumps a depressing idea, though. It hasn't helped half the teams in the Championship.

Exactly this - I'd much rather play real football in a real football league such as the Championship than 'survive' in ther EPL by going down that road.

53 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Exactly this - I'd much rather play real football in a real football league such as the Championship than 'survive' in ther EPL by going down that road.

Why can’t it be both? Every player doesn’t have to be a physical monster with less technical ability but a few wouldn’t hurt.

When we were lining up for corners against Palace it was embarrassingly obvious the physical difference in the two sides and yet they could still play good football.

At the minute there’s a lack of physical presence across the whole team, especially noticeable in CM and in the backline where you’d expect to see at least some big physical players.

If we want to have some smaller more technical players I think that needs to be balanced out with at least a few physical players.

At the minute apart from Byram all our FBs are relatively small and easy to dominate in the air, neither of our two experienced CBs are particularly physically imposing, there’s literally no one physically imposing in our midfield and other than Idah, who still looks so raw and goal shy, no physical presence in the front three. We are too far the other way IMO.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 5

When we got relegated (with Alex Neil as manager), the following couple of seasons showed the potential pitfalls of relegation, good players leave...bad players on big wages stay. A couple of indifferent seasons, then suddenly the financials become very difficult. Ultimately, we was very fortunate that Farke and a bunch of 'cheap' players managed to come together and have an exceptional season, followed by relegation and another promotion. 

At this point in time, if relegation does happen the list of candidates to leave is quite high and you worry what the dynamics of the club will look like. At the same time, it also has potential young players (Jzolis/Sargent and co) will find form and confidence in the championship and develop significantly for a return to the premiership. Maybe a few gems in the transfer market. 

I think the current side is missing 2 to 3 key players, to transform it into something competitive. A strong DM, a second goal scorer whether central midfielder or wide attacker (or both). There has been enough games, where we have been close enough across 90minutes, but the goal scoring is just woeful. 

7 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

When we got relegated (with Alex Neil as manager), the following couple of seasons showed the potential pitfalls of relegation, good players leave...bad players on big wages stay. A couple of indifferent seasons, then suddenly the financials become very difficult. Ultimately, we was very fortunate that Farke and a bunch of 'cheap' players managed to come together and have an exceptional season, followed by relegation and another promotion. 

At this point in time, if relegation does happen the list of candidates to leave is quite high and you worry what the dynamics of the club will look like. At the same time, it also has potential young players (Jzolis/Sargent and co) will find form and confidence in the championship and develop significantly for a return to the premiership. Maybe a few gems in the transfer market. 

I think the current side is missing 2 to 3 key players, to transform it into something competitive. A strong DM, a second goal scorer whether central midfielder or wide attacker (or both). There has been enough games, where we have been close enough across 90minutes, but the goal scoring is just woeful. 

I would have thought only Aarons and Cantwell would leave. And McCallum, and possibly even Sinani, might be brought back. I agree we will/should go for a proper defensive midfielder, and a goalscorer, but an out and out striker rather than someone can can score  from midfield. The link with the Danish striker Uhre may not come to fruition but I would be amazed if we don't get someone in, either in January or the summer.

13 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

Bad players on big wages are critical to avoid.  I think Kabak and Normann being signed on loan, with a view to convert if they work out well for both parties was shrewd business.

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

I’m getting whiplash the way your opinions change @TeemuVanBasten

Mistake = not holding Webber to account before manager. 

Nowhere in that thread am I anti-Smith or critical of Smith, perhaps you should have read it. 

But rumoured targets suggest more manager autonomy.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would have thought only Aarons and Cantwell would leave. And McCallum, and possibly even Sinani, might be brought back. I agree we will/should go for a proper defensive midfielder, and a goalscorer, but an out and out striker rather than someone can can score  from midfield. The link with the Danish striker Uhre may not come to fruition but I would be amazed if we don't get someone in, either in January or the summer.

I was including the loans so in terms of first team squad it could be 7 or 8+ (Williams, Gilmour, Normann, Kabak are guarantees) plus a few of the overseas recruits may wish to leave and not like the concept of championship football. Whether they get their wish is undecided.

Second striker would suggest 2 uptop, think for now if we make a move in January we will stay with 433/4231 hybrids. 

Edited by Baracouda

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Connor Hourihane! Really?? 

You have an awful lot of faith in a manager who would have been relegated if it wasn't for the worst refeering decision in Premier League history. And that was after spending a small fortune. 

He then bought Emi and put him on the bench but fortunately for Villa they had the good sense to get rid of him and replace him with someone who knows a footballer when he sees one. 

Our performances recently have been abysmal but we still have some way to go to match one of Smith's last Villa games at Arsenal. It was truly awful. If he's still here in a year's time I'll be amazed 

Hoof....... 

We're playing our second string mate, haven't you noticed?

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

Personally, i fell had DS been given the opportunity of a fully fit squad (at least without most of our top players out) he and Shakespeare would have probably done a decent job by now.

However, I have a sneaky feeling that if things continue to go south and we are relegated (as expected) they could well be off at the end of this season. just a feeling

I've always said it's not 'IF' we get relegated but 'HOW'. The last three matches bore the terrifying hallmarks of Project Restart and we need to arrest this slide ASAP. If that can be done and (soon) we pick up some wins then we might just keep in touch. Should the spirit of second half v Saints return on a consistent basis we might (very unlikely I admit) yet survive.  Say we went into the final match v Spurs on about 33 points and needed a win to survive and they scored a fluke in the 95th minute or something to send us down, a feelgood factor would hang around the ground and much of the squad may want to as well for next season. A few decent signings on top + some others moved on (already happening it seems) then another promotion tilt is feasible.

Worryingly, though, that looks optimistic and if this rot becomes set in then the natives will end up venting considerable displeasure and many players will have their agents working overtime to get them out of FCR! I can see Smith and Shakey potentially leaving before the end of the season if that scenario develops. Lord alone knows where we would go from there.      

Next manager will inherit a squad of lumbering giraffes 

Edited by Van wink

16 minutes ago, Baracouda said:

I was including the loans so in terms of first team squad it could be 7 or 8+ (Williams, Gilmour, Normann, Kabak are guarantees) plus a few of the overseas recruits may wish to leave and not like the concept of championship football. Whether they get their wish is undecided.

Second striker would suggest 2 uptop, think for now if we make a move in January we will stay with 433/4231 hybrids. 

Not really. It is such a squad game now a second proper striker can be amply justified while still aiming to start matches with only one up top (with such an acquisition also being part of a post-Pukki plan), and it seems that Idah is at best no more than a mid-level Championship player.

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We'll we've tried quick footed midgets haven't we.

You just can’t win😁

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Mistake = not holding Webber to account before manager. 

Nowhere in that thread am I anti-Smith or critical of Smith, perhaps you should have read it. 

But rumoured targets suggest more manager autonomy.

I have read it. Let me direct you to the first line “We should have kept Farke”. Do you believe in Smith or do you think we should have kept Farke?

For the record I agree Webber should be held accountable but sacking him wouldn’t have made a difference at that time in my view. 

The obsession on this board with getting massive players in is weird. Liverpool and Man City are the shortest two teams in the league!  We dont consistently get headers scored against us do we? When pundits talk about physicality they mean the ability to run fast for a long period of time and not get tired, or to be able to ride challenges and not get knocked off the ball, not about getting a team of 6ft4 bodybuilders in. The game has moved on from that... our problems are nothing to do with the fact we're not massive physically. Most of our problems stem from not moving the ball very quickly and midfielders not getting across the pitch quickly enough to stop counter attacks.

Also as someone has said above, if turning into a team of big lumps is what is required (it's not) then I'm not sure I want to be in the Premier League.

The two players that people universally agree from last year that made the difference were Buendia and Skipp... 5ft7 and 5ft10 if that.

22 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm a long way from believing at the moment, but he deserves a fair chance. I find the idea of a team of 6' 4" lumps a depressing idea, though. It hasn't helped half the teams in the Championship.

No need to exaggerate really is there, the 6ft 1 inch right winger is an Ajax alumni with Holland caps. 

We just played a team packed full of players with superior athleticism and got torn apart, Watford did similar earlier in the season. 

It doesn't mean becoming Stoke City or copying Sean Dyches Burnley, you know this of course but it doesn't fit your doom agenda. 

Let's just keep watching Billy Gilmour getting nudged off the ball then shall we? Did we not learn anything from Leitner at this level? 

Yes this league is chock full of athletes. Same with the elite levels of other sports, like American Football and Rugby or even the 100 metre sprint. We aren't here as a charity for kids with short dads or mums who were tight on the weetabix.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No need to exaggerate really is there, the 6ft 1 inch right winger is an Ajax alumni with Holland caps. 

We just played a team packed full of players with superior athleticism and got torn apart, Watford did similar earlier in the season. 

It doesn't mean becoming Stoke City or copying Sean Dyches Burnley, you know this of course but it doesn't fit your doom agenda. 

Let's just keep watching Billy Gilmour getting nudged off the ball then shall we? Did we not learn anything from Leitner at this level? 

Yes this league is chock full of athletes. Same with the elite levels of other sports, like American Football and Rugby or even the 100 metre sprint. We aren't here as a charity for kids with short dads or mums who were tight on the weetabix.

The big boy lennon scored a cracker for Burnley yesterday . 34 year old as well.😀😅🤣

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

The big boy lennon scored a cracker for Burnley yesterday . 34 year old as well.😀😅🤣

I make that 3 goals in 5 years 🔥🔥🔥

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I make that 3 goals in 5 years 🔥🔥🔥

🤣 your a star man. 🌟 Podence does ok with the right people around. Messi not so bad either and many others. Although been watching him lately . Not so good. We f***d up with the recruitment . Desperado stuff. Two CDM in January and that'll sort it. Normann will probably not play again. He is not thatCDM. How his injury was not picked up when it's all over the Web his history. Smacks of desperate tactics. The anger  needs to be directed at how and why this team was assembled in the manner it has been. I seriously think people are happy for the yo yo effect. People who are making a lot of money 💰 from Norwich and I'm not talking players. Keep it in the family. 

6 minutes ago, Mengo said:

🤣 your a star man. 🌟 Podence does ok with the right people around. Messi not so bad either and many others. Although been watching him lately . Not so good. We f***d up with the recruitment . Desperado stuff. Two CDM in January and that'll sort it. Normann will probably not play again. He is not thatCDM. How his injury was not picked up when it's all over the Web his history. Smacks of desperate tactics. The anger  needs to be directed at how and why this team was assembled in the manner it has been. I seriously think people are happy for the yo yo effect. People who are making a lot of money 💰 from Norwich and I'm not talking players. Keep it in the family. 

Tell you what then Mr. Strawman, lets change absolutely f*ck all.

Let's continue with Gilmour being blown over in the wind, force Smith into trying to get a tune out of an increasingly disinterested Cantwell, and not allow him to bring in any of his trusted players like El Ghazi, even though this was a luxury afforded to Farke (and Lambert).

And then sleepwalk towards beating about half a dozen depressing Premier League records.

Lets do that, just because you can think of some small footballers, lets continue doing exactly what we're doing... failing hard.... because Lionel Messi exists and is short (despite the fact that he's actually freakishly strong), because that makes sense to you.

All the best.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Tell you what then Mr. Strawman, lets change absolutely f*ck all.

Let's continue with Gilmour being blown over in the wind, force Smith into trying to get a tune out of an increasingly disinterested Cantwell, and not allow him to bring in any of his trusted players like El Ghazi, even though this was a luxury afforded to Farke (and Lambert).

And then sleepwalk towards beating about half a dozen depressing Premier League records.

Lets do that, just because you can think of some small footballers, lets continue doing exactly what we're doing... failing.... because Lionel Messi exists, because that makes sense to you.

All the best.

Aye and a good new year for you. Cantwell will go to Liverpool. Did I not say two CDM. I think I did. 🤔  Normann was not one of them. Now me being a 6foot + fat ex footballer would love to help the smaller talented players with a football brain do their stuff. Have a good day 2022 might get better. Chill oot.😊

20 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Cantwell will go to Liverpool. 

To be fair it is NYE, so I'm not going to criticise you for being off your face on something.

Happy new year.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No need to exaggerate really is there,

Need I say anything  at all, I think not.  😉👍😇

Get saving Corky

For fifty knicker ? Yep I'll have to eat a little less Venison  and drink a bit less CNdP today.  Maybe cut back on the smoked sea trout for breakfast tomorrow/ next year.   Cheers  for caring.

On 30/12/2021 at 19:06, Monty13 said:

Why can’t it be both? Every player doesn’t have to be a physical monster with less technical ability but a few wouldn’t hurt.

When we were lining up for corners against Palace it was embarrassingly obvious the physical difference in the two sides and yet they could still play good football.

At the minute there’s a lack of physical presence across the whole team, especially noticeable in CM and in the backline where you’d expect to see at least some big physical players.

If we want to have some smaller more technical players I think that needs to be balanced out with at least a few physical players.

At the minute apart from Byram all our FBs are relatively small and easy to dominate in the air, neither of our two experienced CBs are particularly physically imposing, there’s literally no one physically imposing in our midfield and other than Idah, who still looks so raw and goal shy, no physical presence in the front three. We are too far the other way IMO.

This!

Good god, the "we need bigger players all over the park" thing rears its ugly head again. We lack physicality in one clear area and that's central midfield, this is where we are completely out-gunned, we do not need to become a team that plays 6' plus fullbacks and wingers to be effective.

What we need on the wing is genuine creativity with some end product, what we need at fullback is very good positioning, decision making and decent pace. That could come from a 'midget' or it could come from a giant, I actually don't care much either way because it's usually fairly immaterial to football matches.

Agree with 1902, we need physically in mid field. Shame Normann is out I thought he would be a great influence. Cantwell, now Gilmore too easily knocked off ball. Glad Sorensen is now included he seems to have right idea

Just a wait and see month. I think Dean Smith will get it sorted if he is given the backing, but I don't hold my breath. Interesting times but we cannot keep serving up rubbish.