Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Believe in Smith, he will transform us...

Into a team with the physicality required to give it a go next time.

Already being linked with a 6ft 2" goalscoring right winger, and a 6ft 1 inch Wan-Bissaka type at right back.

Cantwell, Aarons, Gilmour, all great little technicians but that's no consolation when the opposition sticks Chris Wood at the back post with Max Aarons or when Jonjo f*cking Shelvey can just breathe over your poundshop Paul Scholes to get him out of the way.

Webber will by this point have worked out that he needs to delegate more of the squad shaping to a manager who has extensive experience as as football manager, across the top three tiers of English football, not a head coach who came here with zero knowledge like Farke did.

We'll be lining up in August, albiet in the Championship, but already looking like a side better equipped for the top tier.

Looking forward to seeing what wheeling and dealing this transfer business can bring. Aarons and Cantwell going are no loss in my opinion, both have physical deficiencies that are far too easy for opposition managers to exploit.

I'm sure that Gilmour will have a decent career, but I don't care if he ends up world class like Harry Kane, he's not the man for us.... arise Connor Hourihane, to fill the void of direct free kick threat left by super Mario. 

Lets ship a few out, bring a few in, see how we start to shape up.

• Like 4

If there is one thing that gives me hope with Smith is that he has the record and known for improving every club he goes to. It will be very interesting to see how he moulds and changes this squad in the coming years.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If there is one thing that gives me hope with Smith is that he has the record and known for improving every club he goes to. It will be very interesting to see how he moulds and changes this squad in the coming years.

I think that’s the issue, years.

Whatever Smith has said publicly, there’s years needed to adapt us to a team that can actually compete in the PL and I think he knows that.

I wonder how that initial conversation with Webber actually went.

2 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

Changes the squad in the coming weeks please. Else it could get messy ( not Lionel )

We won't survive, but we need 2 or 3 in just to give us that first taste of what a Smith squad looks like, get the fans on side.

I hope we get Al Ghazi. Good age, scores goals, big, pacey and out of contract in the summer. 

If Dean Smith wants him and he wants to come would be a good signing. Villa sources already making noise about offloading.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I hope we get Al Ghazi. Good age, scores goals, big, pacey and out of contract in the summer. 

If Dean Smith wants him and he wants to come would be a good signing. Villa sources already making noise about offloading.

Ghazi on one wing rashica on the other.. Thats a pretty solid attacking top

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It seems remarkable that Villa sacked such a brilliant manager!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

It seems remarkable that Villa sacked such a brilliant manager!!

All managers get sacked. We’d soon run out of options if clubs only employed ones that hadn’t been.

21 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

El Ghazi!! The man my Ajax supporting friend could not believe  they were able  to move on so easily.  He called him the ' mixer tap' as he was able to combine a hot and a  cold performance  in one game.  Inconsistent..... but not necessarily  unuseful  to us...at the right price.

I'm a long way from believing at the moment, but he deserves a fair chance. I find the idea of a team of 6' 4" lumps a depressing idea, though. It hasn't helped half the teams in the Championship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

El Ghazi!! The man my Ajax supporting friend could not believe  they were able  to move on so easily.  He called him the ' mixer tap' as he was able to combine a hot and a  cold performance  in one game.  Inconsistent..... but not necessarily  unuseful  to us...at the right price.

Scored 10 Premier League goals last season! 

Also, blowing hot and cold is fine, been a few players who haven't even reached like warm this season, Cantwell and Tsoliz for a start. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Also, blowing hot and cold is fine, been a few players who haven't even reached like warm this season, Cantwell and Tsoliz for a start. 

Thankyou for fully reading and backing up my post. A first. Cheers   TuB. I feel validated. 😇👍😉

Incredible that some on here are criticising DS, He has come into a club with low morale, little physicality and inadequate quality for this level. Then he loses the more able players to injury and Covid. Still that won’t stop some of the numpties on this forum having a go at him.

• Like 2

I’m glad there’s some that can see the bigger picture - football is ridiculously short-term but to judge things given current circumstances is utterly mental.

• Like 1

I think we're all hoping for this transition. I'm not convinced Webber will let Deano dictate who he wants though. 

Tbh I'd quite happily get rid of most of the squad to let Smith shape it to who he wants. 

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think we're all hoping for this transition. I'm not convinced Webber will let Deano dictate who he wants though. 

Tbh I'd quite happily get rid of most of the squad to let Smith shape it to who he wants. 

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing with you again here. I don't trust Smith that much yet, certainly not often to shape our future.

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd take blowing hot and cold, as all our players are blowing cold at the moment, so a definite improvement!

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

I’ll take some hot and cold, better than tepid which is all we currently get. 

Other than Pukki’s volley trying to remember any other moment of pure class from our players this season…struggling. 

I'll take hot and cold. The boiler is currently knackered and the immersion heater hasn't seen action since the late 70s.

Edit: beaten to the punch by about 3 other posters 🤣

Edited by kirku

Lots of sensible thoughts on this thread.  Bigger picture stuff certainly.

I like Smith, I think he’s gonna do a solid job here….I even think we will run staying up closer than many think.  Get our top 11 back plus a couple of reasonable additions and we are competitive within that bottom 5. 

Who really knows and you all form opinions from your own set of standards and expectations. We have no control if he will be a success or not, time will tell and Webber has smith’s fate in his hands, all we can do is sit from the sidelines and wait!

Edited by Indy

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Into a team with the physicality required to give it a go next time.

Already being linked with a 6ft 2" goalscoring right winger, and a 6ft 1 inch Wan-Bissaka type at right back.

Cantwell, Aarons, Gilmour, all great little technicians but that's no consolation when the opposition sticks Chris Wood at the back post with Max Aarons or when Jonjo f*cking Shelvey can just breathe over your poundshop Paul Scholes to get him out of the way.

Webber will by this point have worked out that he needs to delegate more of the squad shaping to a manager who has extensive experience as as football manager, across the top three tiers of English football, not a head coach who came here with zero knowledge like Farke did.

We'll be lining up in August, albiet in the Championship, but already looking like a side better equipped for the top tier.

Looking forward to seeing what wheeling and dealing this transfer business can bring. Aarons and Cantwell going are no loss in my opinion, both have physical deficiencies that are far too easy for opposition managers to exploit.

I'm sure that Gilmour will have a decent career, but I don't care if he ends up world class like Harry Kane, he's not the man for us.... arise Connor Hourihane, to fill the void of direct free kick threat left by super Mario. 

Lets ship a few out, bring a few in, see how we start to shape up.

Connor Hourihane! Really?? 

You have an awful lot of faith in a manager who would have been relegated if it wasn't for the worst refeering decision in Premier League history. And that was after spending a small fortune. 

He then bought Emi and put him on the bench but fortunately for Villa they had the good sense to get rid of him and replace him with someone who knows a footballer when he sees one. 

Our performances recently have been abysmal but we still have some way to go to match one of Smith's last Villa games at Arsenal. It was truly awful. If he's still here in a year's time I'll be amazed 

Hoof....... 

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Incredible that some on here are criticising DS, He has come into a club with low morale, little physicality and inadequate quality for this level. Then he loses the more able players to injury and Covid. Still that won’t stop some of the numpties on this forum having a go at him.

Raison d'etre ............it's the numpty way of life,innit ? 🙄

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Funny how we all see things differently. Although I am apparently a numpty I find it difficult to get excited about a guy that literally had a team that had millions spent on it and still underperformed comparatively. A team, that incidentally, minus Grealish struggled throughout his tenure.  Much like us minus Buendia. To call people who are unconvinced by dean smith’s record numpties is a little churlish I feel.

• Like 2

Smith should be gone by the end of the season(I hope).

He is a below average championship manager at best and we need better than that. Norwich will go no further than mid championship with him in charge so best to cut him loose early.

I'm not convinced by Smith. He appears OK but I'm certainly not sold yet and don't think I will be.

I freely admit that my vision is clouded as I still have man-love for Farke.

• Like 1

Personally, i fell had DS been given the opportunity of a fully fit squad (at least without most of our top players out) he and Shakespeare would have probably done a decent job by now.

However, I have a sneaky feeling that if things continue to go south and we are relegated (as expected) they could well be off at the end of this season. just a feeling