Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

The humiliation

I have a mate who supports Forest. Was talking to him on WhatsApp about his team's upturn in fortune under Cooper and asked whether he fancied them for promotion via the playoffs. He said he's not sure, but would rather stay down this season so they could potentially get promoted with us in 22/23, then in 23/24 they'd effectively only have two relegation spots to worry about.

Forest fans are mugging us off.

I called him a c**t.

Edited by canarydan23

I remember the days when I used to tell people from other countries that I would meet regularly that I support Norwich, and they had no idea who I was talking about. Now if I tell those same sort of people I support Norwich they know and either laugh, apologise or throw some insults out. Not sure what’s worse. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I remember the days when I used to tell people from other countries that I would meet regularly that I support Norwich, and they had no idea who I was talking about. Now if I tell those same sort of people I support Norwich they know and either laugh, apologise or throw some insults out. Not sure what’s worse. 

To be fair that's been the case for years regardlesss. Everyone at my wokplace when we got relegated to leauge one did not let it go for months

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair that's been the case for years regardlesss. Everyone at my wokplace when we got relegated to leauge one did not let it go for months

It’s the last two prem seasons when it’s been at its biggest global audience and we are an international embarrassment. This is a stain that will be hard to get out. 

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I wouldn't listen to them CC. What the hell do the Chinese know about football?

• Haha 2

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there's no humiliation here. My Brother (a Hammer) pointed out that our recent performances in the Premiership must be pretty disheartening for the fans. My immediate response was that we'd been Football League Champions for 2 of the last 3 Seasons, what's disheartening about that?

In terms of financing, and let's face it, Football is no longer a Sport but a business,  we are one of most responsibly run Clubs in the Country and if the likes of Brighton, Watford, Burnley and even West Ham attemted to operate our business model we'd be higher up the table.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe we should change our business model  but I'd hate us to lose our identity, we remain a Norfolk Club followed mainly by Norfolk people and exiles and I'd much rather that, than follow Sparta Prague B, like my Brother does now......

• Like 4

It is the humiliation , the lack of professionalism , the lack of a care from the owners that hurts the most

i wish the stowmarket 2 would just do the right thing and go 

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 10:25, Crabbycanary3 said:

What the hell do the Chinese know about football?

The Chinese - a great bunch of lads

• Haha 2

Nottingham ducking Forest!

Really?

When were they last in the PL?

Two of the shiny new investor owners later they still flirt with league one which they made their home a few seasons ago.

Duck me the binners have been in the PL since them.

Embarrassed?

Lily livered more like🙃

On 30/12/2021 at 10:17, Capt. Pants said:

I'm dreading returning to work next week.

"Well Pants, it's down with the Christmas decorations again for you lot".

People just feel sorry for us now, even they are embarrassed to talk football with Norwich fans. 

I think a number of posters on this forum need to a) get a life and/or b) put their big boy pants on.

Most people don't consider Norwich a joke or an embarrassment, as most people don't give a damn. 

So puff your chest out and tell anyone who starts up "if it don't rain today, it'll be dark before morning" 

- "What?" -  "Exactly"

Happy New Year, whatever it brings. 

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there's no humiliation here. My Brother (a Hammer) pointed out that our recent performances in the Premiership must be pretty disheartening for the fans. My immediate response was that we'd been Football League Champions for 2 of the last 3 Seasons, what's disheartening about that?

In terms of financing, and let's face it, Football is no longer a Sport but a business,  we are one of most responsibly run Clubs in the Country and if the likes of Brighton, Watford, Burnley and even West Ham attemted to operate our business model we'd be higher up the table.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe we should change our business model  but I'd hate us to lose our identity, we remain a Norfolk Club followed mainly by Norfolk people and exiles and I'd much rather that, than follow Sparta Prague B, like my Brother does now......

I agree that success in the Prem, and increasingly the Championship too, is usually proportional to the financial clout available to each club.  But it’s clutching at straws a bit to suggest that if only other clubs set their level of ambition as low as us we might not be bottom.

Edited by Naturalcynic

7 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I agree that success in the Prem, and increasingly the Championship too, is usually proportional to the financial clout available to each club.  But it’s clutching at straws a bit to suggest that if only other clubs set their level of ambition as low as us we might not be bottom.

It is fair comment, the financial fair play rules were meant to reduce the advantage people had who spent beyond their means.  

For those that do have a financial benefactor the risks are also high if success does not come quickly they do lose interest. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

People just feel sorry for us now, even they are embarrassed to talk football with Norwich fans. 

Some get the NCFC ethos but most just think we're stinking the place out.

My Leeds "colleague" has been strangely quiet this season which makes it a bit more bearable.

46 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Some get the NCFC ethos but most just think we're stinking the place out.

My Leeds "colleague" has been strangely quiet this season which makes it a bit more bearable.

I'm getting reassuring noises from my Blunts friends as they try to rebuild from last seasons humiliation.   As you say not a lot from my Dirty pals, my Millers mates just say "hands off Warne", as for the Wendy's they are still trying to figure out what is going on. So agree, in Yorkshire at least there is no noise at the moment over our predicament!  Must be a Larndon thing.

11 hours ago, JB said:

The Chinese - a great bunch of lads

I fear your Father Ted reference may be lost on some of the members of this forum

ted-feat.jpg

35 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

I fear your Father Ted reference may be lost on some of the members of this forum

Quite possibly. It's the first thing I thought of when I read that initial message 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Nottingham ducking Forest!

Really?

When were they last in the PL?

Two of the shiny new investor owners later they still flirt with league one which they made their home a few seasons ago.

Duck me the binners have been in the PL since them.

Embarrassed?

Lily livered more like🙃

Absolutely. This is what the pant setters don’t realise. Would you have swapped the last 20 years with Forest? For all those that whine on endlessly about our owners and our model, clubs like Forest and Derby are a massive warning about how bad the alternatives can be.

Edited by Commonsense
Spelling

27 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Absolutely. This is wast the pane setters don’t realise. Would you have swapped the last 20 years with Forest? For all those that whine on endlessly about our owners and our model, clubs like Forest and Derby are a massive warning about how bad the alternatives can be.

Amazes me that people always quote the likes of Derby and Forest, yet never mention Leicester or other sides that have foreign owners that have gone on to be successful. But I suppose it depends on the agenda of the person I suppose, but how many of the 20 Prem clubs are actually not owned by foreigners? 

17 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Amazes me that people always quote the likes of Derby and Forest, yet never mention Leicester or other sides that have foreign owners that have gone on to be successful. But I suppose it depends on the agenda of the person I suppose, but how many of the 20 Prem clubs are actually not owned by foreigners? 

Isn’t that because there are far more examples of failure than success. Leicester are Avery good example of the opposite I agree. You also have Palace and Southampton but there aren’t a lot more. I’m obviously discounting the likes of Man City and Liverpool who aren’t in the same ballpark as the rest of us.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Isn’t that because there are far more examples of failure than success. Leicester are Avery good example of the opposite I agree. You also have Palace and Southampton but there aren’t a lot more. I’m obviously discounting the likes of Man City and Liverpool who aren’t in the same ballpark as the rest of us.

Depends what you actually define failure as?

I stand by what I said, how many of the top flight aren’t owned by foreigners?

In Norwich City terms failure is being in league 1, or being financially in jeopardy. A medium sized provincial club like Norwich would expect to be in the 2nd tier. Our record is generally a lot better than this, due to good stewardship we have achieved top flight status, and we have excelled in the Championship. The exciting times over the last few decades have been a mark of our success. On a personal level, going for a drink with an old mate after the Palace game, talking the banter from him and his fellow Palace fans, I did feel somewhat humiliated. I’m of the generation of City fans that were genuinely gutted when we finished 3rd in the Premier League. And people on here talk about lack of ambition. 

I just refer any critics to my beautiful county and city as opposed the the ****holes most of them live in.

Football teams can always inprove can't they?

Tbh, I became immune to the mockery from other fans after every other kid at school supported Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal.

I just don't care and it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game. 

Fans come in two forms, those who support the big 6/7 clubs and who basically form their own mini league in my mind. Everyone else who supports mid sized clubs and has their bad years and decades and their high points. Leeds fans were giving it large last year, in two seasons they will be back down in all likelihood.

13 minutes ago, corbs said:

In Norwich City terms failure is being in league 1, or being financially in jeopardy. A medium sized provincial club like Norwich would expect to be in the 2nd tier. Our record is generally a lot better than this, due to good stewardship we have achieved top flight status, and we have excelled in the Championship. The exciting times over the last few decades have been a mark of our success. On a personal level, going for a drink with an old mate after the Palace game, talking the banter from him and his fellow Palace fans, I did feel somewhat humiliated. I’m of the generation of City fans that were genuinely gutted when we finished 3rd in the Premier League. And people on here talk about lack of ambition. 

Totally agree.

I'm of a similar generation and can remember when Norwich would rock up at Highbury or White Hart lane and expect to get a result. The two FA Cup semi finals when we failed to turn up on both occasions still rankles with me as does the enforced omission from Europe. 

However, it is abundantly clear we are again at a bit of a crossroad, we need change and how that looks, I'm not sure. But change is needed. 

The only glimmer of light in the short term is the postponement of a couple of our matches, it might not stop the inevitable but it may stop the expected annihilation that was coming our way

18 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

It is the humiliation , the lack of professionalism , the lack of a care from the owners that hurts the most

i wish the stowmarket 2 would just do the right thing and go 

I understand the frustration, but no one with a brain cell can argue Delia and Michael don't care. They are fans as much as any of us.

In fact, it's possibly because they care too much that we are struggling to compete, because they are reluctant to sell to anyone unless they are 110% sure the new owners will make the club better.

Letting Royalty look after your child sounds great, great education,financial security,police protection, but what if it turns out to be Prince Andrew.