Monty13

Cantwell rumours

Cantwell is a superb player, exceeded expectations after his season on loan in Holland. Many of us, myself included, were surprised he was not sent out on loan that season. But delighted he was here for that season as he showed he has plenty of promise. 

Last season he joined the promotion team and again proved to be ahead of Dowell who surely was brought in to push him.

In a team like Liverpool he would obviously get better, with better players around him.

Who knows but if he goes this window then we get some money, maybe a little bidding war or Liverpool just get in early. We will see but if he goes I will be hopeful he makes a success as he undoubtedly has talent.

I’d love Cantwell to come good for us and stay but with the lure of Liverpool interest (if genuine) then there is no chance of that. He’s a  potentially great player but also would appear to have quite an ego. A local lad but not a fan of the club before joining and has track record for having his head turned.

if we can get anything north of £15m (even with add ons) then has to be in best interest of club and player for him to go.

I may be being churlish here, but if Liverpool buy him, then I would say his lack of good appearances here this season make me think good riddance. We've nurtured him, we brought him through to the first team, he was encouraged and developed by Farke - who he "didn't always see eye to eye" with, despite Farke being the boss - who had made him what he was. But he has twice repaid that by allowing himself to have his head turned, losing focus at the beginning of last season and being difficult this season.  If Liverpool think he is that good, then it is pretty scandalous that he hasn't given us anything in the way of performances on the pitch this season. Half a season of nothing.......yes, I know I don't know the goings on behind the scenes, but even if you are his biggest fan, you might agree he has done himself no favours this season.

• Like 6

It is very likely that he will leave this window, and for considerably less than we would like. To this end the add ons should be considerable. 

11 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Believe it or not, players do hear things behind closed doors, as incredible as that may sound.

I think it’s clear from my sarcasm that I don’t think a club like Liverpool is discussing openly it’s transfer policy on the training ground.

On 03/01/2022 at 18:24, lake district canary said:

At his best, he can be a handful, but if he was to go to Liverpool, I do wonder what he can offer them in terms of weapons. 

Eh? 

This is football, not an arms deal. 

12 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think it’s clear from my sarcasm that I don’t think a club like Liverpool is discussing openly it’s transfer policy on the training ground.

Good god 😂, it’s not the special forces - agents, players etc do talk amongst themselves but you can’t quite grasp that for whatever reason. Your idea that such information came from them all sat round at the then Melwood training ground or something whilst Jurgen Klopp briefs everyone on the next transfer window and it’s targets is pretty damn funny though!

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Good god 😂, it’s not the special forces - agents, players etc do talk amongst themselves but you can’t quite grasp that for whatever reason. Your idea that such information came from them all sat round at the then Melwood training ground or something whilst Jurgen Klopp briefs everyone on the next transfer window and it’s targets is pretty damn funny though!

I think it is funny that you haven't grasped that I'm trying politely as I can to infer you are a liar and a fantasist without saying it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think it is funny that you haven't grasped that I'm trying politely as I can to infer you are a liar and a fantasist without saying it.

Nope, that was quite evident even if you could unfortunately only stretch your balls far enough to imply it for a few posts rather than say it straight like a grown man in the first place. However it’s unimportant, and I’m not concerned about a random username on the internet questioning my integrity 😉

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Nope, that was quite evident even if you could unfortunately only stretch your balls far enough to imply it for a few posts rather than say it straight like a grown man in the first place. However it’s unimportant, and I’m not concerned about a random username on the internet questioning my integrity 😉

You are quite the eloquent fellow Alex. I look forward to hearing more hot gossip from your vast web of football contacts.

I hope for Cantwell's sake, and ours, that Liverpool aren't just using him to lower the price of a primary target.... just as they did Jamal Lewis when they wanted Olympiacos to hurry up and accept their Tsmikas offer.

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I hope for Cantwell's sake, and ours, that Liverpool aren't just using him to lower the price of a primary target.... just as they did Jamal Lewis when they wanted Olympiacos to hurry up and accept their Tsmikas offer.

Is that actually true TuB? Or just pinkun conjecture becoming  fact through repetition? 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Is that actually true TuB? Or just pinkun conjecture becoming  fact through repetition? 

We rejected an insulting offer from Liverpool which was I believe something like £8m rising to £10m, next thing we know they'd signed the Greek for not much more, so would be the logical thing to deduce. 

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We rejected an insulting offer from Liverpool which was I believe something like £8m rising to £10m, next thing we know they'd signed the Greek for not much more, so would be the logical thing to deduce. 

Doesn't seem that insulting in hindsight. Smart business by the club getting that fee.

Just now, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Doesn't seem that insulting in hindsight. Smart business by the club getting that fee.

And a feather in the cap for Webber in seeing it and getting £15m for Lewis instead.

On 04/01/2022 at 11:10, Coneys Knee said:

I just don’t get why people seem to want him to fail. 

I personally think he’ll leave us and flourish. Cantwell is quality and the right boss will see him right. If anyone could do that it’d be Klopp I imagine. 

Some want to see him fail because it kind a vindicates Farke. 

I'd be amazed if he goes to Liverpool, but would love it and hope that he does well.

He's young and homegrown so with Henderson and Milner starting to twilight a bit, Todd to Liverpool might actually happen.

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Aaaah, so not strictly  a fact then.  OK   Thanks.

I really hoped that Cantwell would be our standout player this year. Unfortunately not. If we could get a decent price for him it makes sense for him to move on. Liverpool? No chance. (But that's what I said about Emi to Villa....)

I’m sure I read somewhere before that we’re unfortunate that Todd has an absolute first class bell end of an agent. Maybe not helping matters.

Either way, I’ll be gutted when he leaves. I really wanted him to be to us what Gerrard was to Liverpool.

That said, I really don’t blame the guy for having his sights set higher than us. He’s a real talent.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Aaaah, so not strictly  a fact then.  OK   Thanks.

What is “fact” on here to be fair?

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2022 at 13:42, lake district canary said:

I may be being churlish here, but if Liverpool buy him, then I would say his lack of good appearances here this season make me think good riddance. We've nurtured him, we brought him through to the first team, he was encouraged and developed by Farke - who he "didn't always see eye to eye" with, despite Farke being the boss - who had made him what he was. But he has twice repaid that by allowing himself to have his head turned, losing focus at the beginning of last season and being difficult this season.  If Liverpool think he is that good, then it is pretty scandalous that he hasn't given us anything in the way of performances on the pitch this season. Half a season of nothing.......yes, I know I don't know the goings on behind the scenes, but even if you are his biggest fan, you might agree he has done himself no favours this season.

Exactly my thoughts on Cantwell. I can kinda of forgive his supposed beef with Farke. But he has when Farke left and Smith brought him back into fold he HAD to be ready to make an impression. Smith has no history with him and clearly wiped the slate clean but all Todd could deliver were two really poor 45 minutes. You can forgive a lack of ability what you can’t forgive is not being in a physical condition to do your talent justice. Todd clearly has the talent. What makes that worse is basically the last 3 seasons have been building to this season for the club and he isn’t in a condition to help the club when arguably at the most important point in the last 3 years.

• Like 1

I said in a thread a few weeks ago that if Cantwell had the professionalism of Aarons, he'd have his move by now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

What is “fact” on here to be fair?

Well , as the song goes ... " if you have to ask, you'll  never know "

There's plenty of facts but even more supposition and unfounded assumption on here, its up to  you to see through the bullshoiters .

G'luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

You are quite the eloquent fellow Alex. I look forward to hearing more hot gossip from your vast web of football contacts.

‘Vast web of football contacts’ - brilliant 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Star55 said:

Disagree     if he had the professionalism of Aarons he would be ripping it up in the prem with Norwich

Edited by mastoola
Sorry wrong response should of been to gun show

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I said in a thread a few weeks ago that if Cantwell had the professionalism of Aarons, he'd have his move by now.

Disagree     if he had the professionalism of Aarons he would be ripping it up in the prem with Norwich

10 hours ago, mastoola said:

I think the term 'ripping it up in the prem' is doing some heavy lifting here. 

But I do think fully fit / head in the right place, he would be our most important player, now Buendia has gone. 

It has not worked out that way which is a shame, I am a big fan of Cantwell, I don't get all the hate he gets.

So lets get the maximum we can for him now, wish him well,  invest it in some firepower and lets try and stay up, as bad as we have been, we are two wins from pretty much getting out of it, its mental.