Monty13

Cantwell rumours

5 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

Fair question. To fully understand the situation I’d have to dive deep into the history of the region. In a nutshell, the official language is Swedish, barely anyone speaks Finnish, and it’s always been that way yet we are mostly happy to be a part of Finland. Åland is very different from the rest of Finland. A Finnish player would not be seen as ”one of our own”.

However on the mainland there are a whole bunch of new (temporary?) Norwich fans because of Pukki. 

It's not that hard to sum up, Åland was basically Swedish all the way until 1809. Became part of the Grand Duchy of Finland under Russian rule after the Treaty of Fredrikshamn so was essentially ruled by the Russians until 1917 when the October Revolution came around. At that point, the Grand Duchy of Finland wanted independence and got it.

Next bit is more fun. Åland then wanted to go back to being under Swedish control, referendum with over 90% of population behind them, but the Finnish government said no. League of Nations mediated the Åland crisis and decided in 1921 that Åland should remain part of Finland, but that the Finns should make every effort to preserve the Swedish language/culture of the Ålanders so what you basically see with the Åland Islands and Finland is very similar to the Faroe Islands and Denmark in that the islands are semi-autonomous regions under the rule of the main country, but with rather different languages.

• Like 1

LOL I’m loving this, the ”Cantwell rumours” thread has been hijacked and turned into a ”Visit Åland” thread 😁

Yes it’s lovely here, I think you all should follow the example of @TheGunnShow and come here for your next holidays. Bring Cantwell too 😆

• Haha 1

This may be the most unusual thread derail in the history of football forums. Discussion about an out-of-form star player ended up about a little-known archipelago of Nordic islands.

In case anyone's interested, here's a photo gallery from my trip to Turku (mainland Finland) and Mariehamn at the end of October. Unfortunately the race photographer missed me in their galleries (again).

Facebook

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

This may be the most unusual thread derail in the history of football forums. Discussion about an out-of-form star player ended up about a little-known archipelago of Nordic islands.

In case anyone's interested, here's a photo gallery from my trip to Turku (mainland Finland) and Mariehamn at the end of October. Unfortunately the race photographer missed me in their galleries (again).

Facebook

So much so it has inspired me to explain the supposedly impossible to understand Schleswig-Holstein Question. Now I need of course to start by going back to the 12th century...🤓

8 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

I still don't get why we went from 4231 for a few seasons to 433 when we didn't really have the players for the style.

Hi mate 🙂 I don’t get it, but I do get it. Farke clearly didn’t want us to get overrun in the centre, or the wide areas, and the 3 either matches or gives a numerical advantage. With a 3, the two ahead of the deep playmaker “Gilmour”, can support in wide areas. It’s a far more fluid formation, and doesn’t have 3 no.10s, which was a complete luxury in the championship, and was the main criteria for the “naive” Norwich from 19/20. 
My answer would’ve been keep the double pivot. Change the Dowell role from a 10, to an 8. 
Then we signed Lees-Melou and Normann, and neither of these are 6s. A 6/8 and 8/10. Ooops, is the word that springs to mind. 

At least Dean Smith’s Norwich only get overrun by unforced errors rather than a complete misunderstanding of tactics “off the ball” and players picking up the correct zones, in terms of “roles” rather than positions. 
And that’s something that gets majorly overlooked. Most people talk about how a player performs on the ball, when at the elite level of the EPL, with and without are both paramount. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

****well??

We had some idiot on here last season resorting to this.

Ive corrected it know    great typo!!!

Edited by mastoola
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Watch some of the Roy Keane videos about his departure and you'll find that is not true. Keane hasnt spoken to Ferguson for years. Refers to him as 'that man'. Utd said they couldnt give him a pay-off or something as they were cash-strapped - cant remember the exact quote.

I always disliked Keane. Thought he was overrated and has always stuck me as bitter and twisted, but I have revised my opinion of him in recent times having found myself watching a few videos. He is not afraid to speak his mind even if it goes against the grain and I have to admire that.

yes that was at the end when he was bombed out 

i like Roy Keane suffers nor fools and speaks his mind 

he and Fergie are very much a like 

i was talking about when you were wanted at United not when you when they were getting rid 

I just saw this on Twitter. Don’t know how true it is. It’s the first time I’ve seen LFC come up. I can’t see Liverpool going for him though? 

image.jpeg.a81a163454663c713d3a8b6522f40547.jpeg

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Star55 said:

I just saw this on Twitter. Don’t know how true it is. It’s the first time I’ve seen LFC come up. I can’t see Liverpool going for him though? 

Only if they can work out a money making scheme, either loaning him out or using him to plug a short term gap.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Star55 said:

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Cantwell has a new Twitter account, I see.

EDIT: Being serious, I think we can safely assume this is Cantwell's agent.

Edited by canarybubbles

6 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Only if they can work out a money making scheme, either loaning him out or using him to plug a short term gap.

I keep seeing tweets saying Liverpool now. I suppose there will be lots of rumours for different clubs. 

11 hours ago, Star55 said:

Right now Cantwell isnt fit to lace Minaminos boots

The lad is a good player. We have seen his ability when we are successful. Yes its the Championship of course.

Was Teemu so sihte that we got him for nothing and all of a sudden he becomes a thirty a season in the Championship?

Maybe a move for Todd will see him back to his best. He can punish teams when on the front foot. With us he will be defending for 70 of the 90 minutes. Its not his game.

On 30/12/2021 at 12:21, Mason 47 said:

A lot is said about Pukki needing Emi to thrive, I think there might be a case for Cantwell too.

With our 'main threat' removed teams can easily nudge him out of the game and (*opinion*) it looks like it might be the case of 'I wouldn't be playing this bad if they had let me move' sort of attitude.

I think it would probably be the best move if we can get a decent price for him. I also think it'll be another Murphy/  Lewis situation where he finds the world outside of Norwich isn't as forgiving quite quickly 

I agree. When Buendia was on the pitch everyone else had more space. My memory is not as great as it was but without Buendia I can't remember Cantwell playing well. 

40 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I agree. When Buendia was on the pitch everyone else had more space. My memory is not as great as it was but without Buendia I can't remember Cantwell playing well. 

Everton away wasn’t too bad when we won 2-0

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

14 hours ago, Star55 said:

My first laugh of the year!

Cantwells not good enough for Norwich who are miles and miles away from being competitive in this Division!

Why would one of the top teams on the planet want to pay £50M for a, at the very best is a £10M player who hasn't the pace or physicality or indeed I suspect the correct mindset to play at the top level.

Cantwell needs to move ASAP but it will be to a really struggling desperate Premier League club like Leeds or a top half Championship club! 

In fact Cantwells stock has dropped so much at Norwich this season that we actually missed the out of his depth Sargeant when Cantwell made one of his few cameo appearances this term!

8 minutes ago, kingsway said:

My first laugh of the year!

Cantwells not good enough for Norwich who are miles and miles away from being competitive in this Division!

Why would one of the top teams on the planet want to pay £50M for a, at the very best is a £10M player who hasn't the pace or physicality or indeed I suspect the correct mindset to play at the top level.

Cantwell needs to move ASAP but it will be to a really struggling desperate Premier League club like Leeds or a top half Championship club! 

That means it was posted 50minutes before 🤣

Edited by Rivvo

Can see maybe a Newcastle looking at him. Liverpool would only consider him if it was cheap and they badly needed to increase their homegrown quota, but they dont need to buy Cantwell to do that. They probably have better players they could promote from their youth team

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Star55 said:

It's just this sort of crap that always seems to result in Cantwell losing focus, and disappearing from the team (perhaps now a permanent state of affairs).

Unfortunately, for one reason or another, his lack of energy, heart and physical presence from a playing perspective have completely over whelmed his early promise. Perhaps a change of venue might serve to rejuvenate his career but from the Canaries perspective he seems to be fading into oblivion. Certainly not a key to resolving the clubs lack of success. Give him the opportunity to go to ever would like to give him a new opportunity to prove himself, even if it is on a free transfer. Norwich have much bigger fish to fry.

The geo-political content of this thread is first class.

Thank you to all for a great read.

As for the Cantwell rumours… the ‘last’ thing I expected to read was about an impending move to Liverpool!

23 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Can see maybe a Newcastle looking at him. Liverpool would only consider him if it was cheap and they badly needed to increase their homegrown quota, but they dont need to buy Cantwell to do that. They probably have better players they could promote from their youth team

I really think Newcastle will have there gaze focused on big names with significant experience - who are available - Trippier, Dele Ali, Lingard and then an experienced CB or. 2.  They may even chuck in perhaps a headline grabber or two Umtiti, Courtinho, or Bale.  I would gobsmacked if they do not buy themselves out of trouble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do you think he is a Beilsa player?  I always think of Leeds as a very quick, and strong set of individuals who all play for the team.  I know those are cliche statements rolled out when a team is doing well, but does Todd close people down well, and stick rigidly to a defensive shape when they have not got the ball?  I guess if Beilsa believes he can get Todd to do that it would be the making of him.

On 01/01/2022 at 14:34, The Great Mass Debater said:

This. We saw some of their youth/younger players tear us a new one in the Cup, most of them looked on another level to Todd, sadly.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 22:35, Star55 said:

Ha, I saw 50m and got excited...

• Haha 1