Monty13

Cantwell rumours

54 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Everybody is frustrated, but there isn’t blame laying on one players shoulders. The central midfield is pathetic and has to aid our pathetic central defence. The blame doesn’t lie at Billy Gilmours door. It is at our rubbish and cheap recruitment strategy. 

I don't support the Billy Gilmour chant, I just think he's square peg round hole in this side and is perhaps at this level a year too soon. On Webber that, not Gilmour.

But a poster was literally calling the people slagging off Cantwell armchair couch potato fans who don't go to games, before immediately undermining their own argument by drawing parallels to the abuse Billy Gilmour received at Palace by what he claims was just a "few fans". They are the City hardcore, and he weren't there! 

On 29/12/2021 at 22:17, Hucks6 said:

Don’t give a toss about a player who throws toys out of pram. Norwich City is bigger than Todd Cantwell 

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. 

The script was that Todd stepped up to the plate. Cometh the hour and all that.

For whatever reason, Todd didnt

On 29/12/2021 at 22:24, Samwam27 said:

For me bottom line is he hasnt been fancied by two managers this season which we're half way through. Something is amiss and doesn't look like it will be resolved.

If he went we wouldn't miss him, and maybe if a good deal can be struck, it will benefit all parties. Its disappointing as the platform was laid for him to take a starring role, and for reasons we dont know it just hasnt happened 

The media story was that Villa were looking at Cantwell. Which if true, is odd, as by hook or by crook, Smith now has his man

On 29/12/2021 at 22:44, TheGunnShow said:

Think Neville may have been somewhat more educated/intelligent academically than Cantwell, not to mention that he'd have been earning plenty and then some at Man Utd as a key player there for years. Some degree of victim-blaming the manipulated there, assuming of course that Todd's advisors are indeed the problem. Then again, if Cantwell ends up getting a move and doubling his money, no doubt it'll be considered good in his world. Just annoying as **** for us.

By definition, "blowing smoke up their a-rses" is manipulation. That's the lookout of the manipulator, not the victim.

Neville was surrounded by top pros in his youth. This moulded his character. The likes of Roy Keane probably meant he learned how to not be walked all over. As a young man, the right influences around you are of paramount importance. Todd might not be thick, merely young, and without the right guidance

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 11:18, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

We’ve all heard a lot of rumour and innuendo surrounding Todd. 
He’s gone from “his time to shine” in a starring role in the NCFC cast and the potential to be our new creative talisman in the wake of the Buendia transfer to falling completely out of favour

He certainly looked up for the task early on, even having a spark of flair about his play, there was the sublime assist against Gillingham in preseason, and attempting to lob the Liverpool goalkeeper from 35 yards. Clearly a man who was, at the time, full of swagger and confidence. 
Then things turned sour. 
Here’s my take on what went wrong. 

In the 4-2-3-1 Cantwell was often deployed on the left, and inside NO.10, usually picking up the half-spaces, dropped deep to collect the ball from the CB, or No.6, like a deep playmaker. He was well suited to the Farkeball possession based game, that either birthed and coached Cantwell into the player he became or just suited his game to and allowed him to thrive. 
Off the ball, he dropped into LM, in a 4-4-1-1 block. And pressed well in the championship against lesser opposition. 
Then Farke switched to a 4-3-3 in preseason, then a 3-5-2.
Whilst there is no position for Todd in a 3-5-2, his role completely changed in the 4-3-3, and his role changed upon returning to the premier league, required to do a lot more off the ball. Whilst many other player evidently struggled Todd’s individual set of attributes hurt him the most. He played higher up the pitch, was required to play wider as the half-space was no the channel for one of the 2 no.8s, and this why Rupp, Lees-Melou had a lot of shots from just outside the box early on in the season.

Cantwell, the stylish inside No.10 was quelled. Gillingham assist, was just an assist against Gillingham. 

The new system was an enemy to a player like Todd in the premier league, where off the ball work in a team fighting relegation is more important to a manager than the individual on-the-ball talent. 

Cantwell became a luxury playmaker who Farke couldn’t afford to play in his team that needed to be as workman like, full of speed and quick direct ground passes up the pitch. He’s not a winger, and will never be. I trust you can understand the tactical difference? 
I personally think that’s where the disagreements, frustration and falling out came from. 
Farke antiquated one of his best players, and here me right- Todd had every chance to step up in his new role, and was given the chance to make the new wide left position his own. I think he failed or NCFC failed him. NCFC certainly failed the development and ultimately, the value of one of its key assets.
And if you apply all of my tactical analysis to Kieran Dowell, it makes sense why he doesn’t play very often too, yet he’s still involved. There’s no Dowell rumour and innuendo. 
And without being too demonising to  Todd personally, THAT is where “attitude” comes in. Why Dowell still plays and Cantwell doesn’t. 

This is the best analysis I have seen of the situation. And do you know who is most to blame? Stuart Webber. If we had recruited a DM then we could've played a 4231. This season's train wreck rests mostly on his shoulders

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Neville was surrounded by top pros in his youth. This moulded his character. The likes of Roy Keane probably meant he learned how to not be walked all over. As a young man, the right influences around you are of paramount importance. Todd might not be thick, merely young, and without the right guidance

As much as that is all true, he also had a gaffer who got rid of anybody the moment they showed signs they were turning into prima donna's or divas didn't he.

The weren't any Todd Cantwell's in Alex Ferguson's dressing rooms, they got bombed out and went elsewhere to do their failing. He'd have been out two years ago under Fergie and his career unraveling would have happened on somebody elses dime. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As much as that is all true, he also had a gaffer who got rid of anybody the moment they showed signs they were turning into prima donna's or divas didn't he.

The weren't any Todd Cantwell's in Alex Ferguson's dressing rooms, they got bombed out and went elsewhere to do their failing. He'd have been out two years ago under Fergie and his career unraveling would have happened on somebody elses dime. 

Alex Ferguson did not let a lot of the players have agents there was a man at the club that dealt with it 

which is good in a way as long as the club is fair to the player which i am sure Man utd were as nobody complained and most stayed there as long as they were wanted 

Todd has been a bit silly if you ask me 

if he had a stand out season he would have went for bigger Transfer money bigger wages and bigger signing on fee

a 30 million player earns more than a 10 million player who is out of form and out of the team  

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't support the Billy Gilmour chant, I just think he's square peg round hole in this side and is perhaps at this level a year too soon. On Webber that, not Gilmour.

But a poster was literally calling the people slagging off Cantwell armchair couch potato fans who don't go to games, before immediately undermining their own argument by drawing parallels to the abuse Billy Gilmour received at Palace by what he claims was just a "few fans". They are the City hardcore, and he weren't there! 

He isn’t great, I don’t understand the hype at all. Doesn’t help with what he is playing next to. The whole club has got it wrong from start to finish since promotion. 

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We’ve bought players to play 4231 and we play 433 which doesn’t suit anyone and makes most players look bang average in the elite league.

On 30/12/2021 at 12:59, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm not convinced he is the prolific chance creator that some seem to think he is....

I've posted stats on previous threads on key passes, chance creation, etc as I have always questioned whether Cantwell is indeed creative. I think mainly of him scoring goals than creating them

On 30/12/2021 at 13:03, TheGunnShow said:

Your last paragraph seems to essentially repeat my previous one. If we take an example of a proven playmaker in the top flight who was not much use defensively, then Cantwell is essentially a Le Tissier. Difference is, Le Tissier was good enough to carry those relegation-haunted Southampton sides and keep them up. Cantwell ultimately does look like he may fall a shade short.

Please never compare Le Tissier and Cantwell again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

We’ve bought players to play 4231 and we play 433 which doesn’t suit anyone and makes most players look bang average in the elite league.

But we didn't. No DM or decent no10

• Like 1

I've posted stats on previous threads on key passes, chance creation, etc as I have always questioned whether Cantwell is indeed creative. I think mainly of him scoring goals than creating them

i think his energy brings others chances if you get my drift 

he maybe not the one who creates the chance but is the one that give it to the person to create the chance he is 3rd person in the attack 

when he is on form his running to open spaces for others 

something we have seen nothing of this season 

1 minute ago, NFN FC said:

But we didn't. No DM or decent no10

Exactly this no DM  criminal negligence ffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I'm struggling to think of a primarily creative attacking player who wasn't great defensively who was a consistent presence for a team fighting at the wrong end of the table in the top flight. It certainly wasn't meant as a comparison in terms of ability.

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

more like southamton's George Weah's cousin 

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm struggling to think of a primarily creative attacking player who wasn't great defensively who was a consistent presence for a team fighting at the wrong end of the table in the top flight

Maybe no teams with those types of players were consistently at the bottom end of the top flight, because they can't afford to carry luxury players and when they do... they don't last long. 

3 hours ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

Thank you for the kind words @Pugin, much appreciated. 

Yup, the Todd situation will be sorted out sooner rather than later I think. Sell him, loan him out, play him... anything will be better than keeping this tiresome status quo going. I'm inclined to agree with the consensus here that a fresh start at a new club is probably what's best for him. We'll see what the near future holds in store.

Happy New Year 🎆 to you too and everyone else on here from a wintery Åland 🇦🇽, a tiny island in the middle of the sea with a population of around 30 000 where I am the only Norwich fan. 

OTBC!

How can you be the only one when we have Pukki in our team?!

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

See David Beckham

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Maybe no teams with those types of players were consistently at the bottom end of the top flight, because they can't afford to carry luxury players and when they do... they don't last long. 

Yet essentially that's pretty much what we'd be hoping Todd would have pulled out in trying to get established with Buendia no longer here.

32 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

which is good in a way as long as the club is fair to the player which i am sure Man utd were as nobody complained

Watch some of the Roy Keane videos about his departure and you'll find that is not true. Keane hasnt spoken to Ferguson for years. Refers to him as 'that man'. Utd said they couldnt give him a pay-off or something as they were cash-strapped - cant remember the exact quote.

I always disliked Keane. Thought he was overrated and has always stuck me as bitter and twisted, but I have revised my opinion of him in recent times having found myself watching a few videos. He is not afraid to speak his mind even if it goes against the grain and I have to admire that.

11 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Ålanders don't always see themselves as Finns. Remember, they speak Swedish there, but became part of Finland after the Treaty of Fredrikshamn in 1809.

(Yeah. Been to Mariehamn twice. Was there in October, actually).

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Ålanders don't always see themselves as Finns. Remember, they speak Swedish there, but became part of Finland after the Treaty of Fredrikshamn in 1809.

(Yeah. Been to Mariehamn twice. Was there in October, actually).

Fair enough! They didnt fall in love with Elmander or Olsson then?

The pitch sitting

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/cantwell-hits-back-at-critics-after-public-display-of-dejection-1842694

Ouch from Webber... 

“Now it is about moving forward. I got it badly wrong. I am not ashamed to admit that. But I am not sulking or lying on a football pitch hoping someone takes a picture of me. What is the best way to fix this? By putting it right.”

Fair enough! They didnt fall in love with Elmander or Olsson then?

Haven't got a clue. Only been there twice for a total of around a week, so can't comment on that at all. Suspect they'd be all behind their own local side, IFK Mariehamn. Especially when they did a Leicester City in 2016 and became champions of Finland.

Their stadium is tiny. When I first went there in 2017 I went in for a wander and ended up chatting to their Director of Football, a thoroughly amenable chap called Peter Mattsson, for a good 15 minutes. Ended up watching them face Ilves at home in the last game of the 2017 season. Coffee and chocolate cost 3 euros.

• Like 1

In an Instagram post defending his actions, Cantwell wrote: “I stayed on the pitch because it hurts me. I didn’t want to act like I was okay in the changing room so I removed myself and reflected.”

This to me just seems to be reflective of the Instagram generation. Does things motivated by how it looks. I've never really felt like Todd has any great love of his hometown club, yet periodically he will do a post designed to show how much he cares in the same way numerous vacuuous 'influencers' like to look like they care about stuff and push an image.

Its a generational thing I think. Todd comes across as being more about style than substance. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you seriously asking this question just after our hardcore belted out a rendition of "f*ck off back to Chelsea" to Billy Gilmour?

I don’t understand what that has to do with it, since this thread is about Cantwell. I know you just like slagging off anyone and everyone, including many other posters, but you should at least respond to the topic rather than introducing a new one.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Fair question. To fully understand the situation I’d have to dive deep into the history of the region. In a nutshell, the official language is Swedish, barely anyone speaks Finnish, and it’s always been that way yet we are mostly happy to be a part of Finland. Åland is very different from the rest of Finland. A Finnish player would not be seen as ”one of our own”.

However on the mainland there are a whole bunch of new (temporary?) Norwich fans because of Pukki. 

Edit: As for Swedish players, nope, we care about them about as much as English fans care about Irish players.

Edited by ÅlandicCanary