Monty13

Cantwell rumours

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Cantwell scored 6 the previous season for a bottom of the table team, but you constantly criticise and demean him.

You seem to have a selective memory. Toddwell was responsible for many goals conceded as he scored and bearing in mind he’s not the most defensive minded he becomes a luxury player which Norwich cannot afford.

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well it was 10 days after the pitch sitting incident that I called out him doing his pre-match warm up like this....

chelsea-fc-vs-norwich-city-london-united-kingdom-shutterstock-editorial-10711592g.jpg.7ee16cc85144c764e564c7e4b288f81a.jpg

But got heavily criticised on here, because apparently him being local means that he should get a free pass, with a few frequent posters claiming I was "jealous". 

(Pitch sitting was Brighton at home, 4th July, this really professional warm up was Chelsea away 14th July).

To be fair to Todd - and we’re not all that often - he’s clearly not warming up there. He’s dressed in his travelling gear. This is just him arriving for a game doing a few keepy uppies. 

Criticise where it’s warranted but it’s unfair to when it’s not.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Cantwell scored 6 the previous season for a bottom of the table team, but you constantly criticise and demean him.

He is fully deserving of the criticism for f*cking up his career and bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

Farke bombed him out to the U23s squad, Smith isn't interested, why not pick a more apt username if you aren't prepared to use your common sense. 

We’ve all heard a lot of rumour and innuendo surrounding Todd. 
He’s gone from “his time to shine” in a starring role in the NCFC cast and the potential to be our new creative talisman in the wake of the Buendia transfer to falling completely out of favour

He certainly looked up for the task early on, even having a spark of flair about his play, there was the sublime assist against Gillingham in preseason, and attempting to lob the Liverpool goalkeeper from 35 yards. Clearly a man who was, at the time, full of swagger and confidence. 
Then things turned sour. 
Here’s my take on what went wrong. 

In the 4-2-3-1 Cantwell was often deployed on the left, and inside NO.10, usually picking up the half-spaces, dropped deep to collect the ball from the CB, or No.6, like a deep playmaker. He was well suited to the Farkeball possession based game, that either birthed and coached Cantwell into the player he became or just suited his game to and allowed him to thrive. 
Off the ball, he dropped into LM, in a 4-4-1-1 block. And pressed well in the championship against lesser opposition. 
Then Farke switched to a 4-3-3 in preseason, then a 3-5-2.
Whilst there is no position for Todd in a 3-5-2, his role completely changed in the 4-3-3, and his role changed upon returning to the premier league, required to do a lot more off the ball. Whilst many other player evidently struggled Todd’s individual set of attributes hurt him the most. He played higher up the pitch, was required to play wider as the half-space was no the channel for one of the 2 no.8s, and this why Rupp, Lees-Melou had a lot of shots from just outside the box early on in the season.

Cantwell, the stylish inside No.10 was quelled. Gillingham assist, was just an assist against Gillingham. 

The new system was an enemy to a player like Todd in the premier league, where off the ball work in a team fighting relegation is more important to a manager than the individual on-the-ball talent. 

Cantwell became a luxury playmaker who Farke couldn’t afford to play in his team that needed to be as workman like, full of speed and quick direct ground passes up the pitch. He’s not a winger, and will never be. I trust you can understand the tactical difference? 
I personally think that’s where the disagreements, frustration and falling out came from. 
Farke antiquated one of his best players, and here me right- Todd had every chance to step up in his new role, and was given the chance to make the new wide left position his own. I think he failed or NCFC failed him. NCFC certainly failed the development and ultimately, the value of one of its key assets.
And if you apply all of my tactical analysis to Kieran Dowell, it makes sense why he doesn’t play very often too, yet he’s still involved. There’s no Dowell rumour and innuendo. 
And without being too demonising to  Todd personally, THAT is where “attitude” comes in. Why Dowell still plays and Cantwell doesn’t. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He is fully deserving of the criticism for f*cking up his career and bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

Farke bombed him out to the U23s squad, Smith isn't interested, why not pick a more apt username if you aren't prepared to use your common sense. 

TvB, you're responsible for a lions share of the nonsensical, blatantly untruthful or downright dishonest comments. You'd do well to listen to the common sense of @Commonsense.

I'll give just two examples of how you twist the truth in a very manipulative way. Then I'm done with you.

1) This pic of Todd "warming up". He's not warming up, as I'm sure you know and @Coneys Knee already told you.
2) In another match you asked if Todd touched the ball at all. He did of course, several times, yet you claimed that it was a "genuine question", which it clearly wasn't as you did in fact watch the game and must have seen him do it. 

There's nothing real or genuine about you. Stop being such a weasel.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

Then I'm done with you.

Oh no, somebody I've never heard of is done with me, how shall I sleep at night.

9 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

There's nothing real or genuine about you. Stop being such a weasel.

Always a bit difficult to believe the old "long time lurker" line, what's your old login so we can see what you're hiding from? Or do you only support us when we're Premier League?

Still, been here long enough to lay into Dowell several times haven't you, double standards? Dowell has shown more than Cantwell this season, and that is really saying something. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Always a bit difficult to believe the old "long time lurker" line, what's your old login so we can see what you're hiding from?

LOL. This is a typical approach taken by let's say a certain type of person. The assumption that others are as crooked as oneself. 

No, TeemuVanBasten, I do not have any old login. Some times recent joiners to a forum are just that.

I've criticized Dowell for his performance against Arsenal. Not sure how that would constitute any double standards. He could've scored for us in that match had he only made an effort. Compare this fair criticism to the two examples above. I know you won't see any difference, so I'll detach myself from this pointless argument.

Edited by ÅlandicCanary
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

LOL. This is a typical approach taken by let's say a certain type of person. Assuming everyone else is as crooked as oneself. 

No, TeemuVanBasten, I do not have any old login. Some times recent joiners to a forum are just that.

Here's one of your completely rational posts about Dowell recently....

On 28/12/2021 at 08:30, ÅlandicCanary said:

I wrote this elsewhere but I feel like I can't stress this point enough...

For me the most telling moment was when we missed a glorious goal scoring chance in the first half because Dowell just couldn't care less. Placheta and Pukki linked up on the left in the first half for a neat and quick counter attack. Dowell was in the middle of the park several yards ahead of Xhaka, who is not known for his speed or pace.

Yet somehow Xhaka was able to run past the dejected Dowell in no time.

He'd have been in a wonderful goal scoring position had he only made an effort and ran for it! You could tell that even Xhaka seemed surprised at his disengagement, looking back at the idly jogging Dowell. No heart. No effort. Unforgivable as this was early in the game.

Sell Dowell to Ipswich, Yeovil or whoever would want him ASAP. He looks completely forlorn and clearly can't be bothered. Put Cantwell on for God's sake, at least he will run in those situations. More importantly he gives the impression of someone who's desperate to play!

Do one you complete oddball.

You want to claim that Dowell doesn't care less whilst constantly praising a confirmed tool downer. I suppose if anything would be praising a tool downer it would be a tool. 

At least relegation and finally flogging the last of our crown jewels means we shake off these global sofa dwelling Johnny come lately's who pick us on FM22 four our good youth rating and get to watch us on the telly for a year.

Your ilk are almost as bad as all the Chelsea fans from Western-Super-Mare who want to keep trying to convince us that Billy Gilmour is the new Paul Scholes. 

I'll back Dowell over Cantwell any day of the week, Farke made it clear that Cantwell was a tool downer, he's  blown his chance with Smith, I'll trust them both over your little glance at the wikipedia stats from two years ago and your glittering FM22 CV, thanks. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

59 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

We’ve all heard a lot of rumour and innuendo surrounding Todd. 
He’s gone from “his time to shine” in a starring role in the NCFC cast and the potential to be our new creative talisman in the wake of the Buendia transfer to falling completely out of favour

He certainly looked up for the task early on, even having a spark of flair about his play, there was the sublime assist against Gillingham in preseason, and attempting to lob the Liverpool goalkeeper from 35 yards. Clearly a man who was, at the time, full of swagger and confidence. 
Then things turned sour. 
Here’s my take on what went wrong. 

In the 4-2-3-1 Cantwell was often deployed on the left, and inside NO.10, usually picking up the half-spaces, dropped deep to collect the ball from the CB, or No.6, like a deep playmaker. He was well suited to the Farkeball possession based game, that either birthed and coached Cantwell into the player he became or just suited his game to and allowed him to thrive. 
Off the ball, he dropped into LM, in a 4-4-1-1 block. And pressed well in the championship against lesser opposition. 
Then Farke switched to a 4-3-3 in preseason, then a 3-5-2.
Whilst there is no position for Todd in a 3-5-2, his role completely changed in the 4-3-3, and his role changed upon returning to the premier league, required to do a lot more off the ball. Whilst many other player evidently struggled Todd’s individual set of attributes hurt him the most. He played higher up the pitch, was required to play wider as the half-space was no the channel for one of the 2 no.8s, and this why Rupp, Lees-Melou had a lot of shots from just outside the box early on in the season.

Cantwell, the stylish inside No.10 was quelled. Gillingham assist, was just an assist against Gillingham. 

The new system was an enemy to a player like Todd in the premier league, where off the ball work in a team fighting relegation is more important to a manager than the individual on-the-ball talent. 

Cantwell became a luxury playmaker who Farke couldn’t afford to play in his team that needed to be as workman like, full of speed and quick direct ground passes up the pitch. He’s not a winger, and will never be. I trust you can understand the tactical difference? 
I personally think that’s where the disagreements, frustration and falling out came from. 
Farke antiquated one of his best players, and here me right- Todd had every chance to step up in his new role, and was given the chance to make the new wide left position his own. I think he failed or NCFC failed him. NCFC certainly failed the development and ultimately, the value of one of its key assets.
And if you apply all of my tactical analysis to Kieran Dowell, it makes sense why he doesn’t play very often too, yet he’s still involved. There’s no Dowell rumour and innuendo. 
And without being too demonising to  Todd personally, THAT is where “attitude” comes in. Why Dowell still plays and Cantwell doesn’t. 

Summa summarum, the system change rendered Cantwell as unsuitable as Gilmour as his best attributes don't fit it very well.

• Like 1

A lot is said about Pukki needing Emi to thrive, I think there might be a case for Cantwell too.

With our 'main threat' removed teams can easily nudge him out of the game and (*opinion*) it looks like it might be the case of 'I wouldn't be playing this bad if they had let me move' sort of attitude.

I think it would probably be the best move if we can get a decent price for him. I also think it'll be another Murphy/  Lewis situation where he finds the world outside of Norwich isn't as forgiving quite quickly 

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

A lot is said about Pukki needing Emi to thrive, I think there might be a case for Cantwell too.

With our 'main threat' removed teams can easily nudge him out of the game and (*opinion*) it looks like it might be the case of 'I wouldn't be playing this bad if they had let me move' sort of attitude.

I think it would probably be the best move if we can get a decent price for him. I also think it'll be another Murphy/  Lewis situation where he finds the world outside of Norwich isn't as forgiving quite quickly 

Jacob Murphy has done well, his new 6 year contract at Newcastle, now the richest club in the world, will likely see him play with some top talents at some point whilst he hangs around helping them meet their homegrown player quota.

And sorry but he walks into this Norwich side.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Summa summarum, the system change rendered Cantwell as unsuitable as Gilmour as his best attributes don't fit it very well.

Good players adapt. Simples. If Todd and Gilmour can't adapt, that is their problem. Gilmour is still young and has time to learn, Cantwell is nearly 24 and should be able to adapt. 

For what it's worth, imo Cantwell fitted the Farke style well - with simple passes to keep posession, occasional flashes of brilliance, occasional goals - but once Farkeball stopped working and we needed to change to stem the amount of goals we were conceding, he went missing.  And I don't buy this "not suited to 433" stuff, if you are a good player you dig in and you adapt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Jacob Murphy has done well, his new 6 year contract at Newcastle, now the richest club in the world, will likely see him play with some top talents at some point whilst he hangs around helping them meet their homegrown player quota.

And sorry but he walks into this Norwich side.

I'm not saying that as of now he isn't in a good position, but it has taken 4 years & two championship loans to get him there (when a lot here were saying he moved too early). I forget if it was him or his brother who was 'crying down the phone asking to come back' 6 months after he left.

All I'm saying is my impression of TC is someone who has decided he's better than Norwich City at present and is just waiting to escape. Would we be massively surprised to see him back on loan to the Champs within 2 years?

If I was Todd Cantwell, I’d be happy to leave with how he has been treated. Whatever he does, he will always be wrong in the eyes of some, plus he has been a homophobic target on this forum because of the way he chooses to style his hair and his manner on the pitch.

Honestly, some of you need to have a look at yourselves.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Would we be massively surprised to see him back on loan to the Champs within 2 years?

Nope, I think he'll struggle like Jamal Lewis.

Lewis never stepped up to this level for us so I was amazed when Newcastle paid £15m for him, he's a Championship full back. 

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good players adapt. Simples. If Todd and Gilmour can't adapt, that is their problem. Gilmour is still young and has time to learn, Cantwell is nearly 24 and should be able to adapt. 

For what it's worth, imo Cantwell fitted the Farke style well - with simple passes to keep posession, occasional flashes of brilliance, occasional goals - but once Farkeball stopped working and we needed to change to stem the amount of goals we were conceding, he went missing.  And I don't buy this "not suited to 433" stuff, if you are a good player you dig in and you adapt. 

True, but not fully - there will always be tactics that get the best out of some players and minimise their weaknesses, and vice versa. Sure, a player should work on their weaknesses, but should really, IMO, focus on their strengths.

Cantwell is the sort of player at a certain level that you give a relatively free role to, shore things up behind him, and say "go on lad, create". The problem is, it's not looking quite like this level.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

True, but not fully - there will always be tactics that get the best out of some players and minimise their weaknesses, and vice versa. Sure, a player should work on their weaknesses, but should really, IMO, focus on their strengths.

Cantwell is the sort of player at a certain level that you give a relatively free role to, shore things up behind him, and say "go on lad, create". The problem is, it's not looking quite like this level.

One of the criticisms of Cantwell in this league last time though was that he didn't create enough chances for Pukki, and when we missed Buendia in the Championship we seriously struggled with Cantwell failing to fill the void.

2 assists to his name in his last Prem season. Did well with his goal tally, but I'm not convinced he is the prolific chance creator that some seem to think he is.... he was never going to be able to fill the Emi void. The problem is, none of our incoming players have filled that void either. 

For me he's a good Championship playmaker. No shame in that, and exactly what we'll need next season, but Cantwell seems to think he's several rungs above that, and wants paying accordingly.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

One of the criticisms of Cantwell in this league last time though was that he didn't create enough chances for Pukki, and when we missed Buendia in the Championship we seriously struggled with Cantwell failing to fill the void.

2 assists to his name in his last Prem season. Did well with his goal tally, but I'm not convinced he is the prolific chance creator that some seem to think he is.... he was never going to be able to fill the Emi void. The problem is, none of our incoming players have filled that void either. 

For me he's a good Championship playmaker. No shame in that, and exactly what we'll need next season, but Cantwell seems to think he's several rungs above that, and wants paying accordingly.

Your last paragraph seems to essentially repeat my previous one. If we take an example of a proven playmaker in the top flight who was not much use defensively, then Cantwell is essentially a Le Tissier. Difference is, Le Tissier was good enough to carry those relegation-haunted Southampton sides and keep them up. Cantwell ultimately does look like he may fall a shade short.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Cantwell is essentially a Le Tissier. Difference is, Le Tissier was good enough to carry those relegation-haunted Southampton sides and keep them up. Cantwell ultimately does look like he may fall a shade short.

I'm not even sure Cantwell wants to. He doesn't seem to have any interest in this struggle. 

4 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm not even sure Cantwell wants to. He doesn't seem to have any interest in this struggle. 

I was thinking more in terms of his peak ability and where he'll be rated after his career has elapsed, but take the point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

If I was Todd Cantwell, I’d be happy to leave with how he has been treated. Whatever he does, he will always be wrong in the eyes of some, plus he has been a homophobic target on this forum because of the way he chooses to style his hair and his manner on the pitch.

Honestly, some of you need to have a look at yourselves.

This ^

Any idea which clubs are interested in Cantwell?  I saw Villa mentioned, is that a serious interest seems unlikely to me.

On 29/12/2021 at 18:35, Mengo said:

In all honesty how much realistically are Norwich going to get for him now

2m

5m

10m

15m

I'll go 7.5m upfront, then 2.5 to 5m in add ons maybe.

On 29/12/2021 at 19:06, Payno10 said:

Looks like he was having fun last night 

6FFE8419-DBD7-4BB6-BAA9-ABE9695BAE79.jpeg

My eyesight is getting worse, I thought this was Jimmy Savile. But judging from some of the recent comments on here, he would probably be marginally more popular right now.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Any idea which clubs are interested in Cantwell?  I saw Villa mentioned, is that a serious interest seems unlikely to me.

I keep seeing Leeds or Newcastle.

I would bet my **** to a barn dance that no one will buy cantwell this transfer window.

Edited by mastoola
typo hahaha

6 hours ago, Star55 said:

I keep seeing Leeds or Newcastle.

Those would be good moves for him, I hope it works out for him (and we are paid a fair price).  I can’t see which EPL side would be a good fit, yet he seems to have had his head turned

• Like 1

Shame thought he'd be a really good player long term. I hope for his sake he hasn't blown his career. Staggering opportunity most of us would have sold a b0ll0ck for.

7 hours ago, mastoola said:

I would bet my **** to a barn dance that no one will buy ****well this transfer window.

****well??

We had some idiot on here last season resorting to this.

• Like 1