cambridgeshire canary

Could we look to the Championship for players?

Given we most likely we will be back there next season do you think there are any championship players we could realistically afford and could help us out next season? Anybody you know about that you think would be a good fit with us?

If it was not for his somewhat recent 3 year contract at boro  Matt Crooks would be worth a look at, or prehaps Ryan Yates.

Any player in a team at the top end would struggle to sign as we might swap places in just a few weeks. So you would need to look at lower half teams- might be a few gems to unearth but doubt enough to make a big difference. More likely to get a few ageing Villa rejects and journeymen completing the circle back to square one. The ‘model’ is dead.

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Any player in a team at the top end would struggle to sign as we might swap places in just a few weeks. So you would need to look at lower half teams- might be a few gems to unearth but doubt enough to make a big difference. More likely to get a few ageing Villa rejects and journeymen completing the circle back to square one. The ‘model’ is dead.

And here comes Hourihane 😉

Can't see anything otherthan little or no transfer activity now, it's looking bleak. Even if we're prepared to borrow money and go into debt no player will want to come here.

It will be a case of taking another relegation on the chin and rebuilding the squad during the summer. Not one of these players are Smith's and I expect he'll want to offload s good few of them to generate funds.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't see anything otherthan little or no transfer activity now, it's looking bleak. Even if we're prepared to borrow money and go into debt no player will want to come here.

It will be a case of taking another relegation on the chin and rebuilding the squad during the summer. Not one of these players are Smith's and I expect he'll want to offload s good few of them to generate funds.

I do get the feeling that this time next year we will have an almost completely changed 11.

I’m not certain we will, there remain a core of very good championship players at the club and some decent youngsters coming through. You sense that there will need to have some decisions on players like Idah as to whether a full season out on loan is the best option for him.

The biggest challenge is how we try and break the vicious circle we find ourselves in (and in a positive way) of having players who are competitive at the top end of the championship but not good enough for the premier. Surely we can’t go for a massive wholesale change and risk not being competitive next year (assuming no miracles occur and we do go down) but equally we have to bring in some more athletic, pacey players for hopefully our next effort at remaining in the premier in 2 or three years. 

Yes, I think that’s exactly what we should be doing. We brought in too many lads with potential and not enough ready to play. 

Good championship players are just as likely to make the step up as foreign gambles and they are already used to the country.

Elijah Adebayo would be my number 1 target but sounds like other clubs are already sniffing round.

In the absence of us having £100 million available, it’s pointless throwing good money after bad.  We simply don’t have the funds to be able to buy anyone of Premier League quality, and given our league position and publicly-stated self-funding model, no-one with any ambition would want to come here anyway.  Sadly, relegation is a nailed-on certainty.  What this club needs is a complete rebuild, starting at the top.

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 hour ago, Big O said:

You sense that there will need to have some decisions on players like Idah as to whether a full season out on loan is the best option for him.

The problem being that we are so short on strikers that the club may feel they need to keep him here if only as cover for an ageing Pukki (assuming he stays for another year, or more, in the Chumps).

Callum Styles anyone? Rated at 3m euros, from Bury, 21, CM/LM with about a 100 Champs games in relegation-bound Barnsley. Has a Hungarian granny, which makes him eligible for Hungary, and as I read,  he is being considered.       

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Yes, I think that’s exactly what we should be doing. We brought in too many lads with potential and not enough ready to play. 

Good championship players are just as likely to make the step up as foreign gambles and they are already used to the country.

Elijah Adebayo would be my number 1 target but sounds like other clubs are already sniffing round.

Given that we were the best championship team by far last season, I’m not sure what evidence you are using about them being able to step up. (Please don’t say we lost Emi I know that!!!)

26 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Given that we were the best championship team by far last season, I’m not sure what evidence you are using about them being able to step up. (Please don’t say we lost Emi I know that!!!)

Individuals can step up. There’s a whole bunch of Premier League players who were recently in the Championship.

Our teams abysmal performance isn’t evidence no one can make the step up.

Anyone near this PL quality will be beyond our meagre budget look at prices paid for those previously.  Excamples are Armstrong, Adams, Watkins and Benrahma all cost £25m Buendia a snjp at £35m.  Brereton Diaz will go unless Blackburn get into PL for a similar fee.  If we tried to pick up Championship players for the £10m paid for our recent purchases these would not be PL quality.  We need to look for potential in Div 1 where cost will be in the £2m range, potential at towards the top of that division.     

5 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Piroe at Swansea is worth a look.

So far the fact they were able to get him for just a million was a steal no doubt in my mind if he carries on his form he's going to be sold in the future for a big profit

This idea we can cherry pick the championship is laughable. 

Did it happen in the summer? 

And would you as a top championship player rather come here, or Newcastle for twice to cash? 

Wake up and smell the coffee. 

10 minutes ago, fredherring said:

And would you as a top championship player rather come here, or Newcastle for twice to cash? 

Newcastle won't be aiming to buy Championship players.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 hours ago, pete said:

Anyone near this PL quality will be beyond our meagre budget look at prices paid for those previously.  Excamples are Armstrong, Adams, Watkins and Benrahma all cost £25m Buendia a snjp at £35m.  Brereton Diaz will go unless Blackburn get into PL for a similar fee.  If we tried to pick up Championship players for the £10m paid for our recent purchases these would not be PL quality.  We need to look for potential in Div 1 where cost will be in the £2m range, potential at towards the top of that division.     

I thought Armstrong went for £15m?

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Newcastle won't be aiming to buy Championship players.

What they aim for and what they get will be different to what you think.

The fans and idiots may think they will attract superstars, reality says they won't. 

But what they will do is attract players who will lift their current squad quakity, and be up for a championship fight. 

So yes, they will. 

I am puzzled about where we do look for players. 

Yesterday we are lacking Premier League experience which is to some extent understandable but then the next 3 biggest leagues in Europe are Spain, Italy and Germany. Aside from Rashica, not available at the moment, we don't have any experience there either. Piacheta, Tzolis and Giannoulis are internationals but Greece is a small country. The French and Russian leagues, really!

Given the size of our Premier League budget, surely we must be able to get more experienced players

Just remember that the Fraud Webber stated at the AGM there would be little or no movement in the January window.

Personally I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got anyone in for the first team set up, this window.

Suspect we will 'go with what we have got'

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

Personally I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got anyone in for the first team set up, this window.

Suspect we will 'go with what we have got'

Suicidal if we do.

I’d be really surprised if Smith took the job without some assurances there would be some opportunities for changes in January.

3 hours ago, fredherring said:

Gonna need an air freshener to get rid of that awful smell of fish

Don’t forget The Championship clubs are going to be posting huge losses a la Bristol City’s £34m loss last season, EFL clubs may be forced to accept less for their scarlets for the next year or two to balance their books so not all is lost.