Danke bitte

Will Webber issue a statement

Quite frankly, no goals scored in December and back to back losses through the month needs addressing. 

No mitigation, no excuses, I think we all want honesty as to where this club is going and what money is available rather than allowing us to guess - are we planning for the Prem or the Championship??

I think we need to understand if his comments about the quality of recruitment this season were genuine or just an attempt at morale-boosting at the start of the season.

The former implies he is seriously out of his depth; the latter implies we can't really believe a word he says, despite apparently being a straight-talker.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

I think we need to understand if his comments about the quality of recruitment this season were genuine or just an attempt at morale-boosting at the start of the season.

The former implies he is seriously out of his depth; the latter implies we can't really believe a word he says, despite apparently being a straight-talker.

Either way, he’s fkd. As others have said I just want some humility from him. I bought into his bluster and frankness but now there’s nothing to back it up, he’s achieved good things with the academy and infrastructure at the club but where we’re judged, and where it matters most, he has failed so far, and though this season isn’t over, we’re breaking unwanted records… again. 

Blaming Webber for poor recruitment ignores the reality, which is this: we cannot attract players of the right standard and have to pay over the odds for those we can get.  No player worth his salt wants to come here right now. 

Edited by benchwarmer

The fact we could name a stronger injured 11 than what will probably be going into Leicester probably explains something.

Krul

Omobamidele - Hanley - Zimmermann

Aarons - Rupp - Normann  - Giannoulis

Rashica - Pukki - Cantwell

A car won't start if you take it's engine out.

Edited by KeiranShikari

Just now, benchwarmer said:

Blaming Webber for poor recruitment ignores the reality, which is this: we cannot attract players of the right standard and have to pay over the odds for those we can get.  No player worth his salt wants to come to a club where relegation from the PL is an essential feature of its business model, because it will follow them round the football world like a bad smell.  That's what needs to change, and it won't under the present ownership.

I don't disagree, but most people don't like being bull****ted. As a fan I feel that this is exactly what has happened this season, and one of our most successful coaches has been scapegoated too.

That said, whilst we may struggle to be competitive in the league in the long term with our business model, I cannot accept that our recruitment couldn't have been a hell of a lot better this season. We are hugely, hugely lacking in physicality, which could have been addressed without breaking the bank.

So many strange decisions; Gilmour on loan when he is clearly not what we need, money spent bringing Tzolis in and Hernandez going out on loan, Lees-Melou in for Vrancic, and a chunk of cash spent on Gunn. I would happily substitute all of those signings for just one quality, physical DM.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't disagree, but most people don't like being bull****ted. As a fan I feel that this is exactly what has happened this season, and one of our most successful coaches has been scapegoated too.

That said, whilst we may struggle to be competitive in the league in the long term with our business model, I cannot accept that our recruitment couldn't have been a hell of a lot better this season. We are hugely, hugely lacking in physicality, which could have been addressed without breaking the bank.

So many strange decisions; Gilmour on loan when he is clearly not what we need, money spent bringing Tzolis in and Hernandez going out on loan, Lees-Melou in for Vrancic, and a chunk of cash spent on Gunn. I would happily substitute all of those signings for just one quality, physical DM.

Excellent post. Out of reactions but the second and third paragraph spot on. 

• Thanks 1

Needs to be careful what he says, he's between a rock and hard place with season ticket renewals out soon. 

Any of this 'go and support another team then' nonsense that he's come out with before could end up with a lot of supporters voting with their feet.

59 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Blaming Webber for poor recruitment ignores the reality, which is this: we cannot attract players of the right standard and have to pay over the odds for those we can get.  No player worth his salt wants to come here right now. 

Don’t agree. The key point is that once again he has ignored an area or areas of the team where we had an acute need to strengthen. Regardless of what we can afford, to not actually address those issues is not acceptable. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

The fact we could name a stronger injured 11 than what will probably be going into Leicester probably explains something.

Krul

Stuart is that you? 

Mr Right thinks you’re Stuart Webber in disguise.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Krul

No, but you can call in sick because of it…..

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Lost Skipp and Buendia and wasted £60m in the aftermath.. a joke

Tbh here, we shouldn’t have allowed ourselves to be so fundamentally linked to those players when 1. Skipp wasn’t ours and 2. Buendia was likely to be off.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

This is spot on, we all knew from the last premiership disaster that physicality is such an essential component to compete. What did Webber do? Kept the same failed midfielders in Mclean and Rupp and put a featherweight midget in Gilmour in and at the last moment signed an already crocked CDM who had an awful injury track record. Then the rest of the signings were huge gambles on unproven players several of which had just been relegated with their old clubs in Inferior European leagues, and as for paying 5mil for Gunn…. The fact is Webber screwed this up big time and now needs to fall on his sword along with the owners.

7 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

This is spot on, we all knew from the last premiership disaster that physicality is such an essential component to compete. What did Webber do? Kept the same failed midfielders in Mclean and Rupp and put a featherweight midget in Gilmour in and at the last moment signed an already crocked CDM who had an awful injury track record. Then the rest of the signings were huge gambles on unproven players several of which had just been relegated with their old clubs in Inferior European leagues, and as for paying 5mil for Gunn…. The fact is Webber screwed this up big time and now needs to fall on his sword along with the owners.

The failure to sort of the CM position this season is as bafflingly stupid as the failure to address the CB position two years ago. Both catastrophic errors are Webber's and Webber's alone. Just one of those foul ups is a sackable mistake, he's now done it twice.

3 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

He think him and his mrs are untouchable 

I am not wanting to touch them.

Perhaps he could take Soccerbot with him and refund the Club the money? 

Otherwise ' adios y hasta la vista' will do fine.

I think when you look at some of the signings Webber made you also need to think about other players who we already had in those positions and what the situation might be regarding them in the near future, mainly Krul, Hernandez, Cantwell, and Pukki

I know Webber has failed in buying survival this season but in my opinion he’s not focused totally on buying survival also clearly thought very about other possible outcomes with the squad in the near future. I mean say instead of Sargent, Tzolis, and Gunn we take a gamble and spend £25m on an experienced PL striker, still get relegated, and the striker demands out at the end of the season. Imagine what the situation might be if Cantwell goes, and neither Pukki, Placheta or Hernandez cut it in the Championship next season? Also think about Krul in a couple of years 

Despite failing to buy survival I’m not against Webber yet, as I think he may have made some very wise decisions with the players he’s signed this season

10 hours ago, Helsinki canary said:

He even said himself in an interview that they had learnt we need more physical and athletic players. It beggars belief. 

Clearly a lot of people are frustrated (and rightly so) and want change but do we really want to go back to a situation where we don’t have a dof and let the managers sign all the players.

with the greatest respect to our owners, they have not been great at choosing managers in the past and I actually think Webbers two choices in Farke and Smith show some continuity to a passing progressive style of football, however bad it is at the moment. Clearly as I have said before this transfer window (with hindsight) has been a disaster and questions / reviews need to happen to learn quickly from the mistakes. 

who are the people proposing we bring in? Or are they saying we revert back to a model that most teams are moving away from? 

Just now, Big O said:

Clearly a lot of people are frustrated (and rightly so) and want change but do we really want to go back to a situation where we don’t have a dof and let the managers sign all the players.

with the greatest respect to our owners, they have not been great at choosing managers in the past and I actually think Webbers two choices in Farke and Smith show some continuity to a passing progressive style of football, however bad it is at the moment. Clearly as I have said before this transfer window (with hindsight) has been a disaster and questions / reviews need to happen to learn quickly from the mistakes. 

who are the people proposing we bring in? Or are they saying we revert back to a model that most teams are moving away from? 

Who is proposing that?

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Who is proposing that?

I was taking the thread as in inference that people wanted Webber out. So the question was simply is it a direct replacement or a change of model people are after? 

45 minutes ago, Big O said:

I was taking the thread as in inference that people wanted Webber out. So the question was simply is it a direct replacement or a change of model people are after? 

Nope, I never said that. I just want some humility from Webber, and a hint as to what we can expect for January in terms of transfer funds. There’s another thread on whether we should sack Webber elsewhere on the board and I voted “no” because I don’t think there’s anyone else who can do a job for us whilst we have the owners we do. 

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Nope, I never said that. I just want some humility from Webber, and a hint as to what we can expect for January in terms of transfer funds. There’s another thread on whether we should sack Webber elsewhere on the board and I voted “no” because I don’t think there’s anyone else who can do a job for us whilst we have the owners we do. 

Many apologies for my incorrect assumption. I think I am in a similar camp, he does clearly need to own this current situation and communicate the steps he is going to take to improve us. I did worry a little when we had 2 or 3 people leave our recruitment team in the summer so that feels like an area of immediate focus.

I think unfortunately all of our targets come with an element of risk. Pukki was written off as not being able to do it in British leagues (because of Celtic spell) and Buendia looked like an overweight firecracker waiting to go off but both turned out brilliantly. Equally we have taken punts on talent like placheta, leitner that haven’t been as good. The best bit of business ever still remains getting a £1m for Marley Watkins though!!! 🤣