Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Clinton Morrison sums it up

23 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Who in their right minds wants another promotion and another season in the premiership with these owners? What's the point... rather we became QPR and Forest if I am honest. 

Save yourself the bother and go and support Forest or QPR then if their model and ahem....... success........ appeals to you so much. Actually, why not go the whole hog and go and support Ipswich. 

Typical moronic football fans questioning the integrity of someone like Delia smith rather than the Premier League and the Elite clubs. Football is a truly disgusting sport, the game is beautiful, the rest disgraceful. The examples are everywhere, starting with FIFA. But if you really couldn't care less where the money comes from or who owns the club then protest! Wave a little banner, beg for oil money, blood money, drug money, whatever. I am amazed you have time for such ridiculous petty tripe. Or better still, go support another team, I mean, football really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Jeeeees 😉

• Like 2

To be precise it isn’t a model. It’s a financial position given stringent income restrictions. 

We spend what we have . We don’t look for  other finance. 

We upgraded the training facility outside of the trading monies . We used an investment vehicle which was always going to be oversubscribed given the fixed return. It was miles better than anything else available . It was gone in 24 hours. 

Thats works well for £5m . Less well for the £100m the transfer budget would desire . 

I spend what I earn. That isn’t a model .

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Eventually it will. We're building from the roots up.

No it won't. We spent our biggest ever transfer budget in the summer and we're not competitive. We're less competitive than we were in the 2019/20 season. Every year we're out of the EPL it moves on becomes even more out of reach, meanwhile the rest get stronger and stronger, richer and richer.

As a matter of interest where do you see the next £35m Emi esque transfer? 

I actually think the model is dead, unless we somehow by a miracle avoid relegation this season. Can't see us ever being competitive in the EPL without external investment.

1 hour ago, Overrated, over paid said:

Typical moronic football fans questioning the integrity of someone like Delia smith rather than the Premier League and the Elite clubs. Football is a truly disgusting sport, the game is beautiful, the rest disgraceful. The examples are everywhere, starting with FIFA. But if you really couldn't care less where the money comes from or who owns the club then protest! Wave a little banner, beg for oil money, blood money, drug money, whatever. I am amazed you have time for such ridiculous petty tripe. Or better still, go support another team, I mean, football really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Jeeeees 😉

I like your post.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

No it won't. We spent our biggest ever transfer budget in the summer and we're not competitive. We're less competitive than we were in the 2019/20 season. Every year we're out of the EPL it moves on becomes even more out of reach, meanwhile the rest get stronger and stronger, richer and richer.

As a matter of interest where do you see the next £35m Emi esque transfer? 

I actually think the model is dead, unless we somehow by a miracle avoid relegation this season. Can't see us ever being competitive in the EPL without external investment.

I can, and always could see it working, but it needs a lot of luck. We basically need to have three seasons of significantly over-performing at premier league level in order to put ourselves on a financial footing to stay there.

We might get one, or two, but it's unlikely that we can stay up for enough time to make it work.

The interesting thing is that actually very few clubs who have become established. Most who have com up, go down within a few years.

Our problem is that we haven't had the newly promoted bounce of other clubs or that we had under Lambert for a while and thats why it seems absolutely zero fun anymore.

The model only continues until the day it doesn't, and its very much looking like that day will come in May 2023 when I suspect we will finally break the string on our yoyo.

The model won't become successful until the day we perform some kind of trick shot to prevent the yoyo from declining again. Under the current ownership such a trick shot is impossible. 

7 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Eventually it will. We're building from the roots up.

Don’t  assume we’re coming back up any time soon just because it happened before. When we bounced back previously it was with a great group of players. A crop of signings that the club have never come close to replicating. The best player from that group is now gone, the others are getting old or left on a free. The proceeds from any sales have been utterly squandered.

People keep banging on about the model, but there was nothing sustainable about the business the club did during the summer. Those deals were just bad investments and that money is now gone. We’re in a very bad state as a club now. Rebuilding is going to take time, and on current evidence, is going to need new leadership too.

Football has always been about money - I remember being peed off when we sold off Ron Davies and Hugh Curran in the 60s. However, the last few years the gap has increased greatly so that most of the clubs are in the PL just to make up the numbers. Add to that player’s obscene wages, VAR, crap and biased referees, strikers who deliberately week defenders legs to gain penalties and roll around as if they have broken their legs only to get up and sprint 30 secs later - I am increasingly turning off and suspect others are doing so. Give us our game back! End of rant!

I think the issue is that many people think promotion will be easy again- they forget that without a very fortunate once in a decade loan - Skipp- and a player who was far too talented for the level he was playing at - Emi- we would have found last season much, much harder. 

next time round we will undoubtedly be top half but with wounds to lick and no longer any standout players. I can see a worthyesque relegation - flirting with promotion until the parachute cash runs out then back to square one and staring L1 in the face

On 28/12/2021 at 18:08, Dr Greenthumb said:

Still doesn’t make it sound appealing

Unlike TuB liking the.  ....     'Idea of a Norwegian manager'. One of his best yet.😉😇👍

On 28/12/2021 at 18:02, Cantiaci Canary said:

Yes! The club is far far stronger, from the roots up, to where it was before Webber arrived.

The proof of this is ........... don't you think it's odd that none of this criticism comes blaring out after we've secured promotion or beaten Huddersfield 7-0 etc? 

Sure things are rubbish right now but you don't burn down a city after a reported pickpocketing.

Other than the training ground improvements (most clubs have good training grounds now) it’s not really any stronger than it was when we were about to be relegated under Neil. Once the parachute monies ran out we had to sell Maddison to prop us up. Same will happen again if we stay down for three years. In fact we will no doubt have to sell Max in order just to rebuild. 

Are we worse off than Palace or Brighton?  Rich enough to stay up, but not to compete at the top. Season after season of mid-table nothingness - unless a richer owner takes over.

Financially the top 3 will be Man City, Chelsea, and Newcastle.  Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, and Man United can’t compete with them financially.  I wonder how their fans, used to success, will feel in six or seven years time.

On 28/12/2021 at 19:57, Thirsty Lizard said:

Save yourself the bother and go and support Forest or QPR then if their model and ahem....... success........ appeals to you so much. Actually, why not go the whole hog and go and support 

Been financially and vocally supporting my club for decades. Why do you think you can stop me voicing my opinion by spouting yours... strange! Anyone who wants another season in the top flight with this investment is clearly barking imo... maybe they are the binners on here 😜

On 28/12/2021 at 17:47, Virtual reality said:

Exactly this. It’s a self serving model imposed on the club to keep it within their families control 

Not at all, it's a model intended to keep the club as an independently going concern and not behoven to the whims of some billionaire who rarely even sets foot in this count(r)y. The club is there to be the pride of its city/region, not some bauble that a rich dude has hanging from his portfolio of vanity...

• Like 1

I must be on my own, but I'm quite looking forward to seeing Sargent, Tzolis, Rashica, Omobamidele etc play in the Championship alongside Pukki, Krul, Gibson, etc. I don't see anyone attracting interest other than Cantwell and Aarons, maybe Giannoulis. We'll have a very strong squad; not saying we'll walk it again, but I'm confident we'll be top 6.

12 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Been financially and vocally supporting my club for decades. Why do you think you can stop me voicing my opinion by spouting yours... strange! Anyone who wants another season in the top flight with this investment is clearly barking imo... maybe they are the binners on here 😜

Me too!

Why do you do this???? I've never said you can't voice your opinion - and how can I stop you??

I'm just disagreeing with you.