Sign in to follow this  
BurwellCanary

So what's our best Champs team for next year

Lets be realistic and start thinking about building a team that can hold our own next year in the Champs and be developed into a promotion push later  with a nucleus that can be built on as a Premier team in the next few years. There will  no transfers in Jan to keep us up so from the squad we have, who would cut it and who would go?

12 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

Lets be realistic and start thinking about building a team that can hold our own next year in the Champs and be developed into a promotion push later  with a nucleus that can be built on as a Premier team in the next few years. There will  no transfers in Jan to keep us up so from the squad we have, who would cut it and who would go?

We need to strengthen in a few areas to build a Championship squad. A couple of new strikers, a couple of attacking midfielders, a couple of defensive midfielders and a defender or two and we might do alright.

I wouldn't let Pukki go, but his best years are clearly behind him so we need decent cover. Idah is nowhere near good enough.

Cantwell would need to have a reversal of whatever has befallen him - possibly if we just wait until Samuel Beckett quantum leaps out of him again, otherwise we probably need to let him go.

Dowell might be OK in the Championship. Tzolis could improve with a spell in the U23s and Rashica might be adequate backup. Sargent is never going to amount to anything so we should look to recoup a tiny proportion of the money we blew on him. We need 'weapons' and it's the attacking midfield area we need to focus on.

Sorensen should be OK in midfield, if Kenny is still playing every week then I think we're in real trouble. Ruup might do a job as backup, but we really need to strengthen here to come close to repeating our past success.

I actually think the defenders are not all that bad. I'd like to see more game time for Mumba and Andy O.

Realistically though, I don't think we'll be troubling the top six unless we stumble across another Buendia, another Skipp and another Pukki all at the same time. We've got about a whelk's chance in a supernova.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hows this? Left out Dimi, Cantwell, Aarons and Gini as I feel they won't be here by then.

11.png

So Sorenson plays twice, due to missing so many games this season, or is it his brother??

• Haha 1

I presume some of you (and I don't blame you if so) have not watched any Championship games this season. As bad as we are, and we are very bad, the standard in the league below is abysmal. 

The gap between the top two leagues in England is almost getting unsustainable with the top league being a shut shop unless you invest billions (millions no longer enough).

Indeed it is but if we look at those that went up and stayed up in our 'pomp seasons' Leeds, Villa etc they got a shot at Prem because they had a team that were less flamboyant than us and had a nucleus to build on. Sheffield also   but lack of investment saw them down and I would think this year  Brentford will be OK. We need a team that gets us up with a core that's worth investing in to stay there and I wonder where that comes from with our current squad - Pukki and Hanley (great players but surely aging?) Who do we blood?