Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Our Supporters

Living down in Brighton, I get a different perspective on how the club is perceived than people who live in Norfolk.  Over the past few years I have been very proud of how the club and the fans are perceived.  After Tuesday''s game, I am very embarrassed by some of the fans.  The Brighton fans we took with us (we were Assoc Match Sponsors) were amazed by the club, the facilities etc - but could not believe the booing and Worthy out chants - what they would not give to have half of what we have (their words).

A quote from The Argus, the Brighton local paper "The game plan was to turn Norwich''s restless crowd against their team and try to nick a goal on the break".  Opposition teams are using some of the so-called Norwich "supporters" as one of their tactics to beat the team!

Hope you are all very, very proud of yourselves and your contribution to "your" club.  Hopefully you are the much quoted ones that will not be renewing your season tickets (out of interest, Brighton have issued their season ticket renewals today and for £575 you get to sit in a makeshift seat, with no cover, a portaloo and no opportunity to buy a beer or the like).

Proud of our supporters - some yes, some absolutely not. 

Celebrities everywhere are always happy to show their love for the club. Tv presenters and the like. We do have a loyal fanbase who are percieved very well. Our travelling fans are always applauded for their support and so many opposing fans tell me of the amount of noise we produce at each ground. We have no real thugs, and a diverse crowd, young and old. But recently, I''ll agree with the decline in atmosphere at the club. The booing, the chanting, does it all help? I remember the boo''s francis got at the Inter game. You reckon he''ll turn round and go, "hey, they love me, I''ll stay here". Joey Barton and the fickle Man city Fans at the moment. These are paid professionals...well...we''ll leave that one alone...They play their game. But booing doesn''t help. How can it? How can chanting Worthy out spur the team on? The players, they must feel they can''t do anything right. A three nil win, al beit a miserable performance, is a three nil win. I know were not all going to have the same mentality at the club. Just look at this board. But if you spent the time you use plotting Worthy''s demise creating ways to spur on the players...Wouldn''t that be a far better use of your time?

Thanks for the contribution, Dicky. Now that the supporters are letting Worthington know what they think of him, you are turning on them. I suggest that you go and watch the Brighton games with your good friends.

By the way, other teams don''t need "Norwich supporters" to beat us, contrary to your peurile claim. We''re so awful that we struggled to contain a 10-man Brighton side that passed us off the pitch for long periods. With a decent striker, they''d have been 3-1 up at half time.

I''d rather have a manager like McGhee, who can get his team to play good football, than Worthington. If he had the players that Worthington has got at his disposal, Brighton would be in the Play Off positions by now!

Have you seen us play this season? It doesn''t matter what club you are, wether you have a nice seat and a roof. What counts is on the pitch and it''s not been up to scratch. I just can''t get exicited by what I''ve seen this season and I''m not alone.

Dicky writes: "Brighton have issued their season ticket renewals today and for £575 you get to sit in a makeshift seat, with no cover, a portaloo and no opportunity to buy a beer or the like."

This is one teams method for attracting 6 to 7,000 people into their facilities to watch football. I don''t think Norwich City supporters need input from Brighton as a club ( or their fans ) as to how to aspire to bigger and better things. Norwich have enjoyed more success than Brighton over the past 30+ years because of, NOT IN SPITE OF, their fans. When things go sour, Norwich fans expect and deserve change.

If you like the Brighton approach so much Dicky, then why do you make the trip all the way from the south coast.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Dicky writes: "Brighton have issued their season ticket renewals today and for £575 you get to sit in a makeshift seat, with no cover, a portaloo and no opportunity to buy a beer or the like."

This is one teams method for attracting 6 to 7,000 people into their facilities to watch football. I don''t think Norwich City supporters need input from Brighton as a club ( or their fans ) as to how to aspire to bigger and better things. Norwich have enjoyed more success than Brighton over the past 30+ years because of, NOT IN SPITE OF, their fans. When things go sour, Norwich fans expect and deserve change.

If you like the Brighton approach so much Dicky, then why do you make the trip all the way from the south coast.

[/quote]

Talk about missing the point.  Brighton are in a converted athletics track because they have been waiting to get permission to get a proper ground.  You talk about more success in the past 30+ years - obviously don''t watch a lot of English football (sorry, Soccer!). 

As for liking the Brighton approach, where exactly did I say that?  Must have been lost in translation.

Bolton got 5000 less fans for their european game that we did on tuesday which is something to be proud of.  Have brighton fans never wanted a manager change and protested against it?  of course they have - likewise newcastles fans reputation remains sound inspite of a similar campaign against Souness.

Horses for courses - but I dont think our good reputation is being sullied anywhere else - apart from a conversation you started on the way there back maybe dicky?![;)]

Adrian Dunbar on talksport asked what is going wrong at city lst night so its not as if our woes are going unnoticed so there will be fans understanding out there too.

This whole episode of continuing to get at the club, the Board, the players and the Manager is really one that we should look at and say to ourselves how much longer should this continue and what overall effect is this having on OUR club.

Whilst some valid points have been made on this website and in the local press I cannot help but think that people just get carried away with themselves and what is the overall effect? Just a general unsettling atmosphere that effects everyone (much to the delight of opposing teams who only need to emphasize this in their dressing room talks to get their players going).

Yes, this season has been hugely disappointing but it looks as if the present set up is going to be there for the immediate future. From the way they both played the other night Hucks and Greeno were certainly up for it (and in support of their Manager) so I suggest we all do the same, get behind them for the rest of the season and chuck those ''Worthy Out'' banners away.

As true supporters we will be there ''come what may'' next season and it is in all our interests to ensure our team finishes in as high a position as possible this season to meet these challenges.

It looks as if on saturday the team could be unchanged for the 3rd game if Fleming gets over his injury. Give them all a chance to gel together and look forward to Leon coming on and scoring a deserved goal!

No more negative stuff please!

You''re absolutely right Dicky. Having witnessed four straight home

defeats, including a shameful defeat to Ipswich, the city fans

should have been brimming with confidence and optimism. They should

have been proud to see their team outplayed by a team

struggling in the bottom three, who only had ten men. Fool.

As for the the Brighton game plan being "to turn Norwich''s restless

crowd against their team and try to nick a goal on the break". They

really shouldn''t have aimed so low. Because in the end it was Norwich

who were left playing counter attacking football, and with an extra

man! If Brighton''s finishing had been slightly better they could have

come back to your neck of the woods with all three points.

Luckily Norwich had Hucks to spare their blushes.

Dicky, I rarely miss the point you make and neither did I in this case. A typical shot by you at Norwich fans, this time through the eyes of Brighton fans. Brighton have been in the football league a long time to still be in a "waiting mode" for a proper ground. This is the point. Some clubs and some fans ( you appear to be one of them ) are content with the "waiting game." Nottingham Forest is an example of why waiting too long is not the way to go. It''s the fans that are hungry for progress that will drive the engine towards bigger and better things, not those who say I''ll take whatever is provided because that''s what "loyal" supporters do.

i think its the limited capacity which drives the price of a season ticket down at Brighton. Its simple demand and supply.

Its undeniable that norwich''s ticket prices are not as extornionate as others but does that mean we have to feel pivileged to watch the dross on display this season?

dicky - if you turned up each game to watch quality players under performing and serving up dross football  - it costs me £700 annually for me & the wife - you''d have a different perspective perhaps, or at the very least understand why some fans are choosing to express their feelings against worthy.if you haven''t guessed, there''s a split developed between the supporters and the club, and the sooner unity is restored and the atmosphere returns to normal, the better. 

It shows that you haven''t been to many city games this term upon

reading that post. As Pyro wrote, how can you expect fans to applaud

and be all happy clappy (Thanks Hughesy) singing their hearts out with

optimism and pride when we play like utter crap every week, and are

generally embarassed by teams that are no better than the local under

14''s. Tactically Worthington is inept, the players he acquired over the

summer are poor to say the least, and the board are sticking right

behind him when he has torn apart what was a good team, turning them

into anything but a team.

Take a few trips to Carrow Road, watch the crap, feel the anger and

frustration when your local rivals embarass you on your home turf,

spend your hard earned money week in week out on that crap, then feel

you have the right to come back and tell the loyal supporters of this

club how you think they behave on a matchday.

Canary Nut wrote: "As true supporters we will be there ''come what may'' next season and it is in all our interests to ensure our team finishes in as high a position as possible this season to meet these challenges."

very true canary nut, and in many supporters eyes finishing in the highest possible position next year can be helped by replacing the guy in charge... This season is over and to be honest I dont care if we finish 8th or 16th it really doesnt matter anymore... our season ended on the 5th February, with the possibillities the play offs offer that is a TOTAL FAILURE and UTTER DISGRACE

I can completely understand why many fans are unhappy.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]You''re absolutely right Dicky. Having witnessed four straight home defeats, including a shameful defeat to Ipswich, the city fans should have been brimming with confidence and optimism. They should have been proud to see their team outplayed by a team struggling in the bottom three, who only had ten men. Fool.

As for the the Brighton game plan being "to turn Norwich''s restless crowd against their team and try to nick a goal on the break". They really shouldn''t have aimed so low. Because in the end it was Norwich who were left playing counter attacking football, and with an extra man! If Brighton''s finishing had been slightly better they could have come back to your neck of the woods with all three points.

Luckily Norwich had Hucks to spare their blushes.
[/quote]

This reply says it all really.

Yankee wrote: Dicky, I rarely miss the point you make and neither did I in this case.

A typical shot by you at Norwich fans, this time through the eyes of

Brighton fans. Brighton have been in the football league a long time to

still be in a "waiting mode" for a proper ground. This is the point.

Some clubs and some fans ( you appear to be one of them ) are content

with the "waiting game."Are you totally unaware of the situation. Brighton were forced out of their home of many seasons (similar to Wimbledon) and have been battling local councils and Government red tape since 1997 in their attempt to get permission to build a new stadium. Having had the Deputy Prime Minister (that would be like Dick Cheyney only a better shot) grant permission recently, they''ve suffered a further setback with the neighbouring council now objecting!If you want to take a pop at Dicky, go ahead, he''s big enough to look after himself, but check your facts first. Brighton''s supporters have gone through hell and don''t deserve your belittling of them.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Living down in Brighton, I get a different perspective on how the club is perceived than people who live in Norfolk.  Over the past few years I have been very proud of how the club and the fans are perceived.  After Tuesday''s game, I am very embarrassed by some of the fans.  The Brighton fans we took with us (we were Assoc Match Sponsors) were amazed by the club, the facilities etc - but could not believe the booing and Worthy out chants - what they would not give to have half of what we have (their words).

A quote from The Argus, the Brighton local paper "The game plan was to turn Norwich''s restless crowd against their team and try to nick a goal on the break".  Opposition teams are using some of the so-called Norwich "supporters" as one of their tactics to beat the team!

Hope you are all very, very proud of yourselves and your contribution to "your" club.  Hopefully you are the much quoted ones that will not be renewing your season tickets (out of interest, Brighton have issued their season ticket renewals today and for £575 you get to sit in a makeshift seat, with no cover, a portaloo and no opportunity to buy a beer or the like).

Proud of our supporters - some yes, some absolutely not. 

[/quote]  Dicky instead of being embarrassed by some of the fans you should be embarrassed by the fact that over the 90 minutes Brighton, like several other away teams, played the better football.  The reason some of our fans are protesting is because week in week out they are seeing our team being played off the park by the opposition.  The Brighton supporters should be proud of the way their manager had them playing football.  I can tell you now from an upper Barclay perspective that most of the home supporters around me were willing a Brighton equaliser.  These supporters have been going to the games for years and are not football louts, but merely ordinary supporters who can see that Worthington''s way is not working.

Barman, put your thinking cap on ( or your courtesy hat ) before you start your rhetoric. First of all, if you ask a question, then ask it and wait for an answer. Don''t ask, and then go on to assume that the person you are addressing is unaware of the facts. I''m aware of what Brighton''s situation has been, but that''s beside the point. My point was to defend against just another attack from Dicky on Norwich fans who happen to have a different opinion than him, this time doing it through the eyes of some Brighton fans. I stand by what I said. Norwich fans, whatever their opinions, do not need to take a back seat to clubs with lower success and demonstrated ambition levels.

Now, with respect to your point on Brighton''s woes. There are far more important things in life in today''s world than any sports organisation pointing the finger at Government as the reason why progress is not being made. I''ll go further. Football clubs, or any other professional sporting organisation usually get what they deserve in their planning over the long term. If one gets to a point of fans not being happy or having access to their club because of what has transpired in the past, depending upon the wheels of government to act in a speedy fashion is, as far as I''m concerned, is to be on a fools errand.

Barman, put your thinking cap on ( or your courtesy hat ) before you start your rhetoric. First of all, if you ask a question, then ask it and wait for an answer. Don''t ask, and then go on to assume that the person you are addressing is unaware of the facts. I''m aware of what Brighton''s situation has been, but that''s beside the point. My point was to defend against just another attack from Dicky on Norwich fans who happen to have a different opinion than him, this time doing it through the eyes of some Brighton fans. I stand by what I said. Norwich fans, whatever their opinions, do not need to take a back seat to clubs with lower success and demonstrated ambition levels.

Now, with respect to your point on Brighton''s woes. There are far more important things in life in today''s world than any sports organisation pointing the finger at Government as the reason why progress is not being made. I''ll go further. Football clubs, or any other professional sporting organisation usually get what they deserve in their planning over the long term. If one gets to a point of fans not being happy or having access to their club because of what has transpired in the past, depending upon the wheels of government to act in a speedy fashion is, as far as I''m concerned, is to be on a fools errand.

[/quote]

Perhaps it''s a language thing, but I have not got a clue what you are pratlling on about, Yankee.  Perfectly good post from the Fat Barman, but you answer it with a load of tosh.

For someone who can be regularly guaranteed to post up some ridiculous old tosh, yankee canary has certainly excelled himself on this thread.

Ignoring the inane gibberish in his last post, his claim that " It''s the fans that are hungry for progress that will drive the engine towards bigger and better things " must rank as the idiot statement of the season. Are we to believe that the fans of Wigan have driven the club towards bigger and better things ? Or that Sunderland''''s current malaise is directly attributable to the lack of ambition on the part of their fans ? Compare the respective fans at Craven Cottage last May. Was their recent climb through the divisions a direct result of their fans hunger.

In further confirmation of his total failure to have any grasp upon reality he adds " Some clubs and some fans ( you appear to be one of them ) are content with the "waiting game. "

Therein lies the current argument on this board. A number of those posting on here have repeatedly claimed that sacking Worthington will solve all our problems. They have happily grouped under the banner of ''Worthy out''. Those that don''t subscribe to that idea, disagree with booing City players or even object to libellous posts on this forum have been banded as one group - the Keep the Faithers (rather odd insult to bandy at someone that they are guilty of retaining their support for their club !).

Irrespective of their reasons for not endlessly bleating for the instant sacking of Worthington they have been lumbered as one group. Irrespective of their disagreement with booing City players or shouting abuse at City players they are still lumbered as one group.

This is both offensive as it is innaccurate - witness the numerous posts to this end on here.

What might unite us is the ridiculous suggestion that it is up to the fans. We must not be ''content with the "waiting game", we are told. Perhaps our ''canary'' fan might care to tell the Brighton fans that. Or maybe the Wimbledon fans for letting their club be taken away from them. The Man Utd fans for allowing their club to be sold to the Glaziers.

Of course it is easy to laugh at yankee ''canary''s'' absurd ideas were it not for the harm and insult they cause on this board. Perhaps a measure of those that agree with him might be guaged by the number of protesters outside the mainstand after the game.

Wonder how many of our chair bound warriors on this board put their money where their mouth is and were part of that group.

I think it would be the same number as goals against today.

It has nothingto do with language Dicky. Your comprehension will become clear when you lift your head out of the sand. Try it....you might like it!

It has nothingto do with language Dicky. Your comprehension will become clear when you lift your head out of the sand. Try it....you might like it!

[/quote]

Yeah, still complete indecipherable tosh.  Being lectured about the state of my home town from someone living thousands of miles away is kind of strange.