18 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Why do you have a love affair with Sorensen? Did you see that miss today?

Yea, forgot he's a striker and played 163 games in 4 seasons xoxox

12 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Ok, it's been a rubbish day in a very bad season, but let's not make stuff up to add to our worries. Sorenson played there because of players out and Kabak not being fit after the weekend.

Kabak was in the squad 

39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont love him. The fact he's started nearly every game this season, and is now starting every game under yet another manager just shows we don't have anyone better. If McLean was worse than Sorensen and PLM then don't you think Smith or Shakespeare with his years of coaching would have been able to identify that? Even if you say Farke was deluded its a bit of a stretch to claim these guys are as well. It could just be that you're wrong.

Well yes, quite. It is a problem that he has started every game this season - it shows we haven't strengthened well enough in midfield whatsoever - but its not his fault that yet another manager has decided he should start every game 

I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong. But I don't feel I am. He talks a good game but goes missing when it matters 

50 minutes ago, 1902 said:

McLean, Rupp, Gilmore, PLM et al. would dominate most championship sides. 

That's not an endorsement of them, that's just a reflection on the huge, huge gap between the championship and the premier league.

The issue is we have one midfielder out of 6 who is good enough at the level we play at now which is the relevant thing.

Yep, there's a reason McLean's been in two Championship winning teams - he's good in scrappier matches and being enough ballast for more creative types to strut their stuff at that level. Rupp was excellent last season, hamstrings allowing. However, we were often shaky without Buendia even in the Championship (although Rupp surprised us with a very good performance at #10 against Forest) so you do wonder if the likes of McLean and Rupp can reach that performance again without Buendia's mercurial talents as the focal point of the team platform - or in the case of the second season, with Skipp just behind them.

42 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Kabak was in the squad 

Smith said he couldn't start him due to the game at the weekend. You can be in a squad when you can't play 90 minutes.

Edited by 1902

2 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong. But I don't feel I am. He talks a good game but goes missing when it matters 

He certainly was anonymous today. The problem is all of the alternatives are just as guilty,  generally speaking more so which is why two completely different managers and their coaching teams continue to pick him up. We tried to sign upgrades but they've unfortunately not turned out to be.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He certainly was anonymous today. The problem is all of the alternatives are just as guilty,  generally speaking more so which is why two completely different managers and their coaching teams continue to pick him up. We tried to sign upgrades but they've unfortunately not turned out to be.

Begs the question as to when we blood some younger payers to give them a taste of what’s here for next season? Do we continue to just play journeymen we know need to move on to develop our first team? Pretty sure some of our under 23 squad would do more than that midfield three today!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

Who do we have who's close to Premier League standard then?

I’ll keep saying this - Cantwell. 
At least last time around he definitely was. Kept getting himself into goalscoring positions. Scored 6. Many assists. Great plays with Emi & Pukki. Very entertaining. 

He’s not been the same this season, granted, but just needs time on the pitch to get back to his usual level. The talent is there. He’s still young. Give the kid a sporting chance.

We still don’t really know what’s happened behind the scenes, which is something all the haters should take into account.

If you think McLean should be starting then give your head a giant wobble!!! 

Mr right thinks he’s no good.... and he’s always RIGHT. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Begs the question as to when we blood some younger payers to give them a taste of what’s here for next season? Do we continue to just play journeymen we know need to move on to develop our first team? Pretty sure some of our under 23 squad would do more than that midfield three today!

I think sometimes it's too easy to draw that conclusion. McLean is a very experienced midfielder who's proven himself in the second tier of English football. Most of our young u23s haven't played beyond the equivalent of league Two level football. Its a huge step up. There might be someone in there who is close but it would be wrong to simply assume there is!

As for moving forwards and assuming relegation - I'd expect McLean to be a regular starter as he is very good at championship level but obviously a Premier League side wouldn't want him (well, West Ham did but they're a step above now). The summer was our opportunity to upgrade that area of the pitch and we haven't.  Neither Gilmour or PLM show more than McLean regularly enough. Would have to hope we focus recruitment in that area this summer, or at least with a plan in mind should we get promoted again.

2 minutes ago, Mr right said:

If you think McLean should be starting then give your head a giant wobble!!! 

Mr right thinks he’s no good.... and he’s always RIGHT. 

I reckon Farke, Smith, Shakespeare and co know a little better than someone who's insecure enough to create a football forum username called Mr Right.

Just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Smith said he couldn't start him due to the game at the weekend. You can be in a squad when you can't play 90 minutes.

What if Gibson was injured in the 1st minute?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

What if Gibson was injured in the 1st minute?

Then we would have been in trouble, playing a semi fit centre back.

Thank god that didn't happen, or we could have looked completely outclassed.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think sometimes it's too easy to draw that conclusion. McLean is a very experienced midfielder who's proven himself in the second tier of English football. Most of our young u23s haven't played beyond the equivalent of league Two level football. Its a huge step up. There might be someone in there who is close but it would be wrong to simply assume there is!

As for moving forwards and assuming relegation - I'd expect McLean to be a regular starter as he is very good at championship level but obviously a Premier League side wouldn't want him (well, West Ham did but they're a step above now). The summer was our opportunity to upgrade that area of the pitch and we haven't.  Neither Gilmour or PLM show more than McLean regularly enough. Would have to hope we focus recruitment in that area this summer, or at least with a plan in mind should we get promoted again.

Your right, but the issue comes with playing him yet again we won’t improve our midfield. Understand we need to have midfielders in our u 23 with that potential and I believe we have. 
I doubt we’re going to have a massive budget this summer, we’ve got a lot of players on big wages who will be stuck in our squad as not many will warrant any clubs advances.

59 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Would rather play mcgovern cm at least he might try and not know he'll play next game 🤣

It is sad but true, McLean is in our full strength starting 11, irrespective of formation.  Only Normann is better.

1 hour ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

I’ll keep saying this - Cantwell. 
At least last time around he definitely was. Kept getting himself into goalscoring positions. Scored 6. Many assists. Great plays with Emi & Pukki. Very entertaining. 

He’s not been the same this season, granted, but just needs time on the pitch to get back to his usual level. The talent is there. He’s still young. Give the kid a sporting chance.

We still don’t really know what’s happened behind the scenes, which is something all the haters should take into account.

I partly agree with you. I also agree that maybe we think he's better than he actually is...possibly something he suffers from too. I like him too BTW, but the truth hurts sometimes.

todd.png

2 hours ago, hurricane said:

He will be off to rangers this summer. 

I will drive hi there, fcuking useless. Just because he was a pissed up **** and put mayors hat on everyone thinks he’s a legend. Useless Useless Useless

5 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

I will drive hi there, fcuking useless. Just because he was a pissed up **** and put mayors hat on everyone thinks he’s a legend. Useless Useless Useless

Mr Right agrees with this statement.

• Haha 1

Sure, but it’s quite easy to take stats out of context. Would be interesting to see the same stats for other players in a similar position. He creats a lot, finds space well, takes shots, wins freekicks in dangerous positions… a useful fella when he’s performing at his usual level. Something which can’t be said about many in this team. Most are Championship level players at best, League 2 at worst.

Honest trier but nowhere near good enough to play at this level. Mclean regularly playing suggests the squad as a whole is inadequate for the top flight!

Edited by kingsway

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I reckon Farke, Smith, Shakespeare and co know a little better than someone who's insecure enough to create a football forum username called Mr Right.

Just my opinion of course.

Unbelievable comment, happy clapper. Fans like this, oh dear. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

34 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

. Most are Championship level players at best, League 2 at worst.

I take it you haven't watched a lot of Championship football then, let alone League 1 or 2.... 

9 hours ago, Petriix said:

We needed to upgrade his position in the summer. He is an average Championship player at best.

Screw that. We got promoted and immediately “upgraded” our best player instead. It’s “the model” doncha know?

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

I take it you haven't watched a lot of Championship football then, let alone League 1 or 2.... 

So you mean to say that most of our players are actually PL level? Or you mean they are much worse than Championship level? What’s your point?