Jersey Canary

Changes in January

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Where to? 

The only way I see him leaving is to a Championship club on loan. No chance an EPL team wants him. 

He's been on the phone to Leeds for years, and with Raphinha on the way out.. Would be a big risk for them now though I agree.

So we send Tzolis - a player who many punters agree might one day be a major star - out to Port Vale, while keeping Sargent and playing him every game?

If we can afford to buy a couple of players, we really need to buy in mind for the championship next season, whilst we still have a better pull over the current top championship sides. So performing players from the lower half of the championship, or top of League One should be considered. 

To get EPL quality player (s) will cost £15-20 million minimum . We ain't spending that in January, no chance. We've blown it for those type of players. 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's been on the phone to Leeds for years, and with Raphinha on the way out.. Would be a big risk for them now though I agree.

No chance. No EPL scouting department is that incompetent to back Todd Cantwell as a signing right now. Well, maybe one... but I'm not sure you can buy your own players..

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

With squad depleted I'd hope to both of Gian & Tzolis start today. Surely there isn't a better opportunity

Yeah, I agree with this. TBH, I though this was a shoe in partnership from the start and one of the major points in signing Tzolis. 

We're so disjointed as a team. Smith needs to think smaller, and start forging partnerships in a bid to build a better team. This would be a good start. 

• Like 1

Regarding giannoulis, wasn’t part of his deal, he’d only sign permanently if we gained promotion? I can’t see him sticking around after relegation. 

We are not scoring goals but nobody seems to think we need a number 10. Stiepermann was converted to that position and did well for us, even though many on here criticised him, but since him we have been unable to find anyone to fill that position. It is still the most important position to fill, even more so than a DM as we are not scoring.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

We are not scoring goals but nobody seems to think we need a number 10. Stiepermann was converted to that position and did well for us, even though many on here criticised him, but since him we have been unable to find anyone to fill that position. It is still the most important position to fill, even more so than a DM as we are not scoring.

To be fair, I don’t even know what our style of play is anymore. I see the line up and shrug my shoulders. I feel sorry for Smith because what’s he got to work with?

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I caught a comment from MB on Boxing Day, where he pretty much said no one will arrive in January. We went for it in the summer, and that's it!

The injuries to Rashica and Normann have been catastrophic to our chances. 

I've tried to avoid the blame game rants but I do think Rashica has been huge loss recently.

Our 'model' is to live within our means and find diamonds in the rough. Many don't really make it make but a few come off. Rashica was looking like one of them.

I really do hope we start Sorensen today - and his omission vs Arsenal was just to make sure we could play our best team in a winnable (must win)  game. Sorensen looks classy - always seems to have 'time' which may make him look unhurried and lazy but is really the mark of a class player. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 hour ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Villa fans think El Ghazi is on his way out to Carrow Rd. 

El Ghazi is a very good player, most importantly he scores goals. Can’t see him coming cheap though unless we loan him and lose one of the current four.

El Ghazi would improve our team, and like you say, scores goals, proven Premiership experience, so if this is happening I'd be happy

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

You should have told Webber that when he arranged the Williams loan.

Fair point, although at the time I suspect they thought Byram would be injured indefinitely.

I actually think Williams should be returned, but that means we couldn't sell Dimi if the opportunity arises.

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

El Ghazi is a very good player, most importantly he scores goals. Can’t see him coming cheap though unless we loan him and lose one of the current four.

We can't loan him as we already have 2 Premier League loans and have already said Williams and Gilmour are staying?

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Fair point, although at the time I suspect they thought Byram would be injured indefinitely.

I actually think Williams should be returned, but that means we couldn't sell Dimi if the opportunity arises.

Don’t think we can return our loans from what others have said on here and from EDP journos. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Don’t think we can return our loans from what others have said on here and from EDP journos. 

I guess it's more if Smith wants to keep them. Would be ludicrous if we signed them as loan agreements without the option to return

57 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We can't loan him as we already have 2 Premier League loans and have already said Williams and Gilmour are staying?

Have we?

I have very mixed views on your opinions. Here’s what I think:

- Send Idah out on loan. Couldn’t agree more, he urgently needs to get some experience and should have been sent out in the summer. Would also like to see Rowe or Dickson-Peters sent out 

- Sell Cantwell. We need rid of him ASAP. That Toddler is just a waste of space 

- Sell Aarons/loan Mumba. We know if Aarons doesn’t go in January he will go at the end of the season. I’m not against loaning Mumba but I think he already seems to be ok at Championship level

- Sell Giannoulis. No, he only arrived less than a year ago and I think is meant to be Lewis’ replacement. If he wants out at the end of the season then he will go in the summer

- Loan Tzolis after FA Cup game. He’s still only 19 and not ready for this level yet so I’m not against him going out either but don’t think it’s essential as I also think he will do well in the Championship next season. Think he’s lined up to replace Cantwell

- Sell Dowell. No, I know he’s not done anything this season but hasn’t got much game time due to other midfield signings. He’s decent in the Championship and I think he was brought in to replace Stiepermann. With Cantwell also set to go soon I think if we sell him now we will probably only find ourselves signing another no.10 next summer

I know we still aren’t far from safety but with Normann out until February plus all the other squad injuries I have huge doubts on us managing to make signings that grants us survival this season, so I think any funds generated should be saved for next summer as if we take a gamble and spend big but still end up in the 2nd tier next season, I can only see us in the same situation as we were after our 2016 relegation

To sell players you have to find clubs that want to buy them though. I think we will find a buyer for Max but am very concerned about finding a buyer for Todd. Has been linked to Leeds, Villa, and Newcastle though

• Like 1